Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in car the other day and my clutch pedal just drops to the floor. No sight of any fluids leaking.

From why I’ve seen it looks like the clutch master cylinder. Can I replace just the master without the slave?

I’ve looked for videos but no luck on the Caliber.

·
Super Moderator
12,593 Posts
Unfortunately its usually the slave. I had my master replaced under warranty and it's better but I still have to lift it by foot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I had the shop replace the master today and still no pressure to the clutch. They also aren’t seeing any leaks at the slave so I’m wondering if it’s possible they just didn’t bleed the clutch correctly. They want to pull the entire clutch now, but the clutch and all gears were perfectly fine before getting no pressure to the clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other question. Can I remove the slave without pulling the tranny?

Unfortunately Canadian tire is who worked on the car and I simply don’t trust the mechanics there.

·
Super Moderator
12,593 Posts
It is not possible to inspect the slave without pulling off the tranny, so that's a reason to replace it - Usually when doing the clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not possible to inspect the slave without pulling off the tranny, so that's a reason to replace it - Usually when doing the clutch.
Should the pedal not at least get somewhat firm even if the slave was leaking as long as there is fluid?

·
Super Moderator
12,593 Posts
Yes, mine is driveable. After swapping the master & bleeding it just was not perfect with the return.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, mine is driveable. After swapping the master & bleeding it just was not perfect with the return.
This is what makes me believe they didn’t bleed the clutch correctly. If I’m not mistaken the clutch on these are not at all easy to bleed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Caliber uses a concentric slave, meaning it's a combo slave cylinder/throw out bearing that's inside the bell housing of the transmission. There's no way to inspect it without pulling the tranny. It's not uncommon for them to fail with age due to corrosion so you might as well bite the bullet and have the tranny pulled and the slave/clutch replaced. There are a couple of short lines that connect the slave to the outside of the tranny...replace those as well.

You're correct about the bleeding...it's a PITA (according to my mechanic who had to do mine). From what I've read pumping the clutch SLOWLY and possibly having the front of the car raised is the key.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought a new clutch master cylinder for a dodge caliber 1.8 2007 replaced the old one but the pedal just fell flat even after bleeding
There are two possible causes:

1. One of your connections are loose, causing a leak.

2. The leak is coming from the slave cylinder inside the transmission housing. The transmission must be removed from the car to correct this issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts