Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 07 Caliber R/T used, and the previous owner was a smoker. I've aired her out a bit, but the headliner is stained with tar, especially on the driver side. I called a few places about detailing, and one said that they don't even bother with the headliner when detailing, because it is so hard to get clean; the other said that they can try but make no guarantees.

Any suggestions on how to clean it properly? I can take some photos and post those here shortly. My Dad gave me a thing of Tuff Stuff (in a yellow bottle) to use, but I haven't tried it yet as I don't want to screw it up!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
You might try upholstery cleaner.
One problem is that the cloth is kind of fragile.
A bigger problem is that cigarette smoke damages everything it touches.
The stains are probably permanent, and the cloth is dried out and weakened.
The only real fix is to replace the headliner (a bigger job than it may at first appear)

·
Super Moderator
12,112 Posts
Headline is a one piece swap. Involves removing the windscreen I believe.

You could try one of those steam cleaner gadgets from TV infomercials.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Bissell SpotBot Pro Heat, I just wasn't sure if I should use that or something else. I'll try something else first, as I don't want to risk having the heat/steam loosen the adhesive that is holding the fabric to the foam. I'll likely try cleaning it this weekend, and I'll update with how it goes!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I have a Bissell SpotBot Pro Heat, I just wasn't sure if I should use that or something else. I'll try something else first, as I don't want to risk having the heat/steam loosen the adhesive that is holding the fabric to the foam. I'll likely try cleaning it this weekend, and I'll update with how it goes!
Before you do the cleaning (great sources on the internet if you look), check out this detailer's advice: http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/02/10/cleaning-your-cars-headliner/

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
If you use anything with heat or steam, odds are that you'll melt the glue and then have a hell of a mess on your hands. I'd try some type of spray foam cleaner in an inconspicuous spot first and blot it to see how it works. I'm not and never have been a smoker and won't ever buy a vehicle that has been a smokers either. I guess I'm anal about that.

·
Super Moderator
12,112 Posts
Mine will need doing too but it is scuff marks that are the worst. I'll use a magic eraser pad as the surface is already marked.
Blotting the rest for general dirt. After that I'm going with an upholstery shampoo.
It's a summertime project anyway.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would stay away from a steam cleaner of sorts because it will weaken the glue and you'll have a saggy headliner. I would try an upholstery cleaner maybe a detail shop can sell you some I use a product called red thunder and it works amazing but even if you do clean it it wont come 100% clean because of the colour and im afraid the smell will never come out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts