Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing how stinking cool Isis SRT style mesh grill looked, I just had to have the same style on ours... After lots of questions the secret parts required were reveled, Magnum SRT8 lower facia grillwork times 2, cut in half and trimmed to fit (Not an easy task BTW!) So, armed with this very dangerous information, I went to my local Dodge dealer parts counter, asked if they price matched, which they said they would gladly do as long as I brought some sort of proof, and ordered up a pair of the Magnum SRT grills... A few days later they were in hand at right about a hundred bucks...
It took a good 15 hours to cut fit and plastic weld the parts in place, should have took in progress pictures but just didn't bother...
Here they are with the stock chrome grill, chrome part removed.
(NOTE: THE ORIGINAL PHOTOS HAVE BEEN LOST! New photos added 11/28/10)
Grill with parts modded and installed,

The ugly side...

And installed,

Me likey mucho!:b1:

Reactions: ryanvc76

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Nice work.

The result is just fine. It's a tempting mod.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Awesome work - looks great! Thanks for sharing the pics... :rep:
Now I only wish I was talented enough to pull this off!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Myk, you have done a great job of the grill and it looks fantastic.
i didn't realise the grill separated like that. it is a tempting mod idea..

·
Registered
535 Posts
you can probably do it even cheaper if you by a honeycomb sheet and then paint it black. I think that is what i want to do. Then i am gonna get so kinda emblem for the front.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you can probably do it even cheaper if you by a honeycomb sheet and then paint it black. I think that is what i want to do. Then i am gonna get so kinda emblem for the front.
If you get a metal sheet with a pattern cut in and you have the factory chrome grill already, then this is a snap of a conversion. I wanted something more factory looking, so if you didn't know better, you'd think it came that way. A sign of a perfect Mod!
The Magnum SRT8 grill's honey comb is abot 3/4 inch thick, elongated AND, more importaintly angled two directions so, when installed in our Bi-angled grill area, has a direct flow /line of site to the radiator. A sheet of plastic honeycomb won't have the correct bi-angle cast in like the Magnum SRT8 (Or any of the factory Dodge SRT line up for that matter) grill has.

Thanks mostly to Isis who once again blazed this mod trail, would never have thought it up on my own!
And thanks to all that replied... For the record, for what the guy that did Isis' grill charges to do this, it's not a bad deal. Unless you are like me and just love to do things yourself!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks great MykTurk. All that work was well worth the effort considering the end result you got. I ordered a stainless steel mesh grill which should be here tomorrow. It just bolts over the existing grill. I think a nice R/T(the one with the red inlay) emblem in the drivers side lower half of the grill would finish that beauty off just fine.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Bump of an ancient thread.

MykTurk, can you fix the pictures so they display?

I'm doing research on these...

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Bump of an ancient thread.

MykTurk, can you fix the pictures so they display?

I'm doing research on these...

Thanks!!
X2 thanks..................

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys, I've looked most everywhere and I guess these pictures have been blown into the ether. I'll try to retake and post as many as possible tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I shot new pictures with close ups and edited the first page so they are there, nothing with the grill out though, but there are close ups of some parts so you get the idea of how it went better.
If I ever do find the old 3.5" disk with the original pictures, I'll upload them to this site so they won't get lost again.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Okay, I shot new pictures with close ups and edited the first page so they are there, nothing with the grill out though, but there are close ups of some parts so you get the idea of how it went better.
If I ever do find the old 3.5" disk with the original pictures, I'll upload them to this site so they won't get lost again.
thanks!!

let us know if you ever find the original pics.

i have a spare grille, and the SRT mesh pieces are on their way to me shortly

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Zombie thread! The original grill got torn up in a minor accident before the final accident took the '08 out completely. When it was torn up, I used the spare khaki base grill I had to fix it, and never replaced the custom mesh grill. But I'd kept the parts. So, now that we have the 2011 Rush, I've been installing the parts salvaged off the '08. As of today, the transformation is complete. I spent yesterday afternoon refitting the mesh parts to the new Caliber's unbroken grill. I'd forgotten just how much better the custom grill looks over the stock one.

So the header is on, the Mopar Performance dual exhaust is installed. Added a K&N filter since they changed the airbox sometime between '08 and '11. It's a pain to get into but a much better design inside. My free flow intake still fits just fine too.

I'm really happy with this new Rush. I wish we hadn't had to get it, as the Original Caliber R/T was just fine, but since we did, I'm glad I like it.
Heck, it's almost like falling in love all over again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts