Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My first post. Hope there is some shared experience out there.

I have an 07 R/T 2.4L FWD
Bought new and have about 122,000 miles (long drive to work)

Change the oil + filter regularly, have replaced air filter and spark plugs.

On my 3rd set of tires and so far the only repairs have been tie rod ends.

Yesterday all of a sudden when I started the car it idled very roughly...the check engine light came on and beeps periodically.

Its driveable, the RPM's got down to the normal 750, and does not stall out but it does not have the same power, and the engine light stays on and beeps.

Don't think I would take it on the highway.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Is gas cap properly tightened? - see your owner's manual and some other posts here on this forum. May take several start cycles to clear. Also if gas cap leaks air, you will get improper air flow into the engine, which could cause all sorts of performance issues. If the problem persists, get a reliable person to scan your computer and get the fault codes - this will point you to the exact problem. The gas cap issue is simple to check and fix. From what others have told me, a loose gas cam wreaks all kinds of havoc with all brands of cars. Possibly a simple fix for a mysterious problem.
I wish you skill and knowledge (that's a lot better than luck)

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Is gas cap properly tightened? - see your owner's manual and some other posts here on this forum. May take several start cycles to clear. Also if gas cap leaks air, you will get improper air flow into the engine, which could cause all sorts of performance issues. If the problem persists, get a reliable person to scan your computer and get the fault codes - this will point you to the exact problem. The gas cap issue is simple to check and fix. From what others have told me, a loose gas cam wreaks all kinds of havoc with all brands of cars. Possibly a simple fix for a mysterious problem.
I wish you skill and knowledge (that's a lot better than luck)
Well if he follows the instructions I gave him, he'll be back with the DTC. Our Calibers have the ability to read many CELs as described (with instructions on how to do it) in the linked post.;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried checking the codes per the instructions but could not get them to display. In the first step the gauges moved and some various codes flashed through, but I got no P#### codes in the second step.

Mike

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Try Autozone or some other parts store. They usually will read the codes for free. I'm thinking you may have a bad O2 sensor. With the mileage you have, that would do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brad, thanks for the input.
Strangely this morning the problem has mostly cleared. The check engine light is still on steady, but it is running normally.
Will the codes remain in the system when the problem has cleared?
I preemptively ordered the o2 sensor and plug wire/coils.
Autozone only specified one o2 sensor so I assume thiscar only has one.

Mike

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Yes, the codes will remain in the system until cleared. You can have that done at the dealer but you can also disconnect the car battery for a couple of hours (yes, that long) to clear out the car memory.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
They are at least 2 o2 sensors. Autozone can clear the codes, after you change the parts out. I think you might have the highest mileage Caliber on the forumZ. Do you have the c.v.t. transmission? If so, how is it holding up.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
They are at least 2 o2 sensors. Autozone can clear the codes, after you change the parts out. I think you might have the highest mileage Caliber on the forumZ. Do you have the c.v.t. transmission? If so, how is it holding up.
You are correct, David. I checked the repair manual, and there is an upstream and a heated downstream sensor. The upstream monitors the engine, and the downstream monitors the catalytic converter. The DTC would be a good thing to know so you know which one is bad. If it's the downstream one though, it could be the sensor or the cat. Both o2 sensors need to be replaced. They must be aged the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David

Its my daily (only) driver and I drive about 130 miles per day. Its a long commute but the Caliber is very comfortable.

I took my car to Firestone to check things out. They saw the old codes indicating a misfiring cylinder but could find no current problems.

I'm going to replace the O2 sensors and plug coils.

I also had them look into some suspension noise and they found that one of my ball joints is bad. They ordered the part and I will get it replaced tomorrow.

If I have the highest mileage on the forum I'll wear that as a badge of honor. I am certaintly stress testing this car. I drive very hard and its held up quite well.

2007 R/T, Front Wheel Drive, 5 Speed with over 122,000 miles
On my 3rd set of tires, Yokohamas
Change oil regularly, use Castrol Syntec Blend
On my 3rd set of plugs, Bosch Platinum
Replaced tie rod ends at 97,000 miles
Looks like I will be replacing driver side ball joint tomorrow.

All other components are original.
Clutch and transmission are fine.
Brakes seem fine
Exhaust no problems
Overall its been a great car!!

It may actually surpass my old 1990 Nissan Hardbody pickup.

I may be looking for some upgrades. Not for appearance, just handling, performance, mileage.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ball joint/lower control arm was replaced, and the clunk is gone.

No problem was found on my original trouble of rough running.
I went ahead and paid for a "fuel system cleanout" and I ordered replacements for the coil/plug connector and replaced all 4 as preventative maint.

The car runs like new!! There is a definite difference in acceleration and it seems to start better.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Good to hear all has been sorted out.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check Engine light is blinking for about 5 minutes and then it gets HOT like it's not had any coolant in it for ages when it gets that HOT it want drive over 10 to 15 mph rough idle, low power

1 - 15 of 15 Posts