Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellow Caliber owners I need to pick your brains on this one. I was driving and out running errands this past Sunday, my Caliber was running fine. Came out and started her to leave and go home my check engine light started flashing and she was running rough. I drove straight home and parked in garage. I called my son and he came over and put her on the Code scanner and we came up this the P302 code and Misfire on Cylinder 2. You can smell gas really bad, so my question is what do we start to replace, I am thinking the Fuel Injectors and the Coil Packs and Spark Plugs. Any thoughts and input. I did talk to dealership as I have Lifetime Powertrain Warranty but of course these 2 things aren't covered under the Warranty, so I want to cross those out prior to taking into Dealership for further investagation, Thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
I would take it in first, if they say it's not covered then change your coil pack yourself.
Could be a cam sensor or such, let them figure it out.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we just replace crank position sensor about a month ago as the check engine light came on and the code for that came up, a $15 dollar part that took a half hour to replace that the dealership want a $190 dollars to replace.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we just replace crank position sensor about a month ago as the check engine light came on and the code for that came up, a $15 dollar part that took a half hour to replace that the dealership want a $190 dollars to replace.
this past year my whole rear suspension has been replaced and the front also, also new battery, regular maintence on car since I purchased it New in September of 2008.

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
You can swap the coil pack between cylinders. If the fault code moves you know to replace it.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I am aware of that. I have ordered New ones along with Plugs waiting for them to be delivered also ordered New Fuel Injectors, I figured we might as well just replace them they are the original ones, better safe than sorry. All together it was less than a $150 for the parts. My son will put them in for me, of course I will end up helping him as I always do, If it still throws a code then I will take it in and let the dealership take a look at it because then it is probably something that is covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Something to keep in the back of your mind...unless you bought OEM Mopar coil packs and fuel injectors, do NOT assume that the new replacements will be any good. Aftermarket electrical components like this are of notoriously poor quality and often don't work right.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge Caliber SXT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updated on my Misfire Code. It was a bad Coil Pack. One of the Coil Packs was Cracked when I took it out. I ended up doing the job by myself as my Son was busy with the kids and my usual guy that works on my car was unavailable. Only issue I ran into is two of the boots stuck to the plugs when I went to take them off, so I ended up having to use some WD-40 and a long curved pick to get them off so I could get the plugs out to replace them and put the new coil packs on. Took me a little longer than I thought it would as I had to go to the Auto Parts Store to get the Pick Set on reason I went this route is they were sold out of the Boot Remover Tool all 3 Auto Part Stores in town, Auto Zone , Advanced, and O'Riely's. The guy at O'Riley's was the one who told me about the Picks and told me how to use them and get the boot off and sure enough it worked great. So i will be going back there with my business in the future forsure. Anyway, my Baby is back on the road and runnning pretty smoothly, next job is to replace the front lower control arms, lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
Congrats - just about to do my LCAs for the second time next week. At least the price of the parts has come down a lot with the volume of sales, $260 to $80.

·
Super Moderator
12,467 Posts
next job is to replace the front lower control arms, lol.
My LCAs (05105040A/B) arrived next day delivery on eBay (better than Prime). Fitted 5 days later, a 1.2 hours job.
Remarkable how much lighter the steering feels. The replaced after market ones had been on for 10 years. The original Mopar ones lasted 5 years and I don't remember a drastic difference then.

In the US you can also buy the mounting bolts which may make the job easier & more confident.

06104264AA x 2 M14x1.5x80.00
06508844AA x 4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts