Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 07 Caliber R/T and at 83,000 the check engine light and battery light came on!

there is a clicking/squeaking sound occurring but it performs perfectly fine and the check battery light clicked on while driving my daily work route (about 35 miles) but when i got home and turned the vehicle back on the light didnt turn on

please help

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I just bought an 07 Caliber R/T and at 83,000 the check engine light and battery light came on!

there is a clicking/squeaking sound occurring but it performs perfectly fine and the check battery light clicked on while driving my daily work route (about 35 miles) but when i got home and turned the vehicle back on the light didnt turn on

please help
Most likely, you have a defective alternator. I would replace the alternator, serpentine belt, and battery. These items are critical to reliable operation of your car.

·
Super Squirrel
818 Posts
I'd have to agree with Dave. It sounds like the alternator to me. Do u have any other problems like the car having trouble starting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from my reading the alternator was my thinking as well

no the car runs just as it should, other than the lights im in love with the car

how much would a new alternator run me?

·
Super Squirrel
818 Posts
Take to car to advance auto or sommmmething like that I think they can test ur alternator. Whether u need to pull it out or not I dunno

·
Registered
63 Posts
or just open the bonnet (hood or what you call it over there) and using a multimeter set to volts dc, test the + and - terminals, should be around 12v, then start the car and test again, it should be 14v+ which means its charging and the alternator is ok, if its the same as when the car was off then the alternator is faulty

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
If you're near an Autozone or Advance Auto Parts store, either one can test the entire charging system for you while you sit in the car. Just go inside and tell ask if someone can bring the ARBST tester outside and check it for you. All you have to do is start the car and bring it up to 2,500 rpm. Easy peasy!

·
Registered
33 Posts

please help
I the battery and alternator check at a local AutoZone and then if those are okay the starter or belt should be next, I have done lots of work on these car since I own one, 2 sub frame front and back,starter& alternator,upper and lower control arms.I done my onw work on these cars and have learn a lot and save a lot of money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts