Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yea, i basically installed new aftermarket taillights after a mailbox attakked my right rear light (humor). I had to use a different connector for my brake light on either side because the stock connector wouldn't allow the brake light to fit in it's place. So i unplugged the connector from the quik connect, and got a connector that would fit and used a splicer to connect what i believe to be the proper wires. This was all done while the sun was up so after i made sure the bakk lights were all functional i left good enough alone. Later at night we (wife and i) go to get me a smoke, but when we turn on the headlights the gauge and ac/radio/cup holder lights all blink 5 times simultaneously. After that they all turn off leaving only the time on the radio to light my car. If it wasn't for my droid with a flashlight i would've probably been speeding lol.
Please help though this is my first post and it seems like you guys really know your ish so anything would be helpful.

extra: i had to change the bulb type to 1137 to fit the different connector

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Take it to the dealer and have them check it on a computer

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
welcome to the forumz... I don't understand what is what with your wiring. but I'd start over and see what you did . disconnect the battery , when you rewire it again see if that works.. maybe you got one of the wrong wires hooked up backwards on something..

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
You wired it wrong and the TIPM couldn't clear the error it was seeing, so it turned off the circuit. You're going to need to figure out what you did wrong and then reset the TIPM by disconnecting both battery cables and hold them together for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool, and by holding the cables together you mean to make them contact each other? Would pix of the setup/spliced wires help?
Thanks Brad (long time reader of your posts) and TexBoy (Texas 4 life!)

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Ok cool, and by holding the cables together you mean to make them contact each other? Would pix of the setup/spliced wires help?
Thanks Brad (long time reader of your posts) and TexBoy (Texas 4 life!)
Pictures will help, and a connection diagram. I think the problem is that you got tail lights for the 2008+ Calibers. The 2007 had a separate amber turn signal lamp. There is a way to make them work, but will require some diodes.

Removing both cables from the battery and holding them together will reset the TIPM as long as the fault has been rectified.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Yup, it's what I thought. You have the wrong lights for your 2007. The end result is that you are feeding power back through the circuit. That's why you had to change the bulb, but the result is now the feedback. You either need the correct lights, or if you really want these, you'll have to post a wiring diagram for the lights so I can show you where the mods need to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i will look into that and get back with you later tonight or early tomorrow, thanks alot brad from my wife as well.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Ok, I'm a little confused now that I downloaded the pictures and blew them up. The original tails had a dual filament bulb to cover the brakes and tails. The wire colors are:

Left stop- WT/OR, Left tail- WT/VT, Right stop- WT/OR, Right tail- WT/VT, GND- BK/LB

Backup- WT/LG, GND- BK/LB

Left Turn- DG/RD, GND- BK/LB

Right turn- WT/YL, GND- BK/WT

I think the socket change was the wrong thing to do. Based on what I see in the pictures, the center light should be your combination Brake/Tail. It should not be used as the Turn.

The light on the left side of the top picture should be the turn signal.

The backup is correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts