Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have looked everywhere for the drain plug underneath the car for the engine coolant and cannont find it. can anyone point me to exactly where it is.

thanks.

-oh and i do have the manual you guys uploaded and i cannont find anything that looks like the diagram.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Why do you need to drain it? It's rated for 100,000 miles. But there is draining instructions with a drawing of the drain location in section 7, page 10 of the service manual.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Hey guys. I have looked everywhere for the drain plug underneath the car for the engine coolant and cannont find it. can anyone point me to exactly where it is.

thanks.

-oh and i do have the manual you guys uploaded and i cannont find anything that looks like the diagram.
It's here!Found it in the SM.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
It's here!Found it in the SM.
Give a fish to the hungry, and they eat for the day. Teach the hungry to fish, and they are hungry no more...

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Give a fish to the hungry, and they eat for the day. Teach the hungry to fish, and they are hungry no more...
Teach the lazy to ...

ahh **** it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the link but thats exactly the sheet i had printed out when i was under the car and i could not find anything that looked like that under the car. anywhere.

i dont know if its engine model specific but i changed the drive belt today and on the diagram it showed the tension spring as (5). but it was pointing at the wrong thing. the tension spring was higher than what the diagram showed. (just saying the diagram might be wrong for the antifreeze)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As anyone actually found the darn drain plug. I am at 105k and need to change dealer wants about $200 and being a cheap sob I am trying to do myself. The diagram does not help I have felt everywhere but the damn plastic molding gets in the way. The belt was a real pain to get back on lots of skinned knuckles that day.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
As anyone actually found the darn drain plug. I am at 105k and need to change dealer wants about $200 and being a cheap sob I am trying to do myself. The diagram does not help I have felt everywhere but the damn plastic molding gets in the way. The belt was a real pain to get back on lots of skinned knuckles that day.
You have to remove the skirt attached under the bumper to see and access it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You have to remove the skirt attached under the bumper to see and access it.
Brad, like csaites, I'm trying to drain and refresh my coolant.

How do I remove the skirt under the bumper? I see the screws and washers, and they're no problem, but the skirt is also held on in a few places by things that look like buttons (no screwdriver blade slot) that pass though holes and have screw threads. Are they like guide screws that are supposed to pop out if you pry them out? I don't want to break one if prying isn't the right answer.

Also, the end of the skirt seems to be attached to something at or in the wheelwells. I haven't been able to see that attachment and deal with it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
How do I remove the skirt under the bumper? I see the screws and washers, and they're no problem, but the skirt is also held on in a few places by things that look like buttons (no screwdriver blade slot) that pass though holes and have screw threads. Are they like guide screws that are supposed to pop out if you pry them out? I don't want to break one if prying isn't the right answer.

The words in bold tell me you should pay the dealer to do it for you....

For everyone else, easiest way to drain the coolant is to simply unhook the lower rad hose. It's messy but the drain takes like 4 minutes. Making sure to have the rad cap off of course. And for filling.... Fill the rad, let it bubble, fill it again, START THE CAR and fill as needed with the car RUNNING. Check it and top up as needed over the next couple days.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Seriously... I am not trying to be an ass... I read on a forum once about a guy asking where his oil drain plug was, and they told him, and someone made a joke about making sure to fill your engine up with water, and run it for a few minutes to clean out the oil in all the tough spots....

needless to say the guy wrecked a nice car really fast..... I tend to try not to give too much info to people who cannot actually do the work... saves everyone time and money.

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
Well at least he found a drain plug - heard of drivers changing their oil at the filter !

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Hi. Did you ever get this solved. I have purchased a 2007 Nitro and need to flush the radiator. I am at a loss to find the plug too! Al
They are well hidden. You physically would have to know exactly where to reach with your hand as you can't see it unless you remove the bumper. The easiest way to drain the coolant is to just pull the lower radiator hose.

Reactions: LOUDERMAN

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
They are well hidden. You physically would have to know exactly where to reach with your hand as you can't see it unless you remove the bumper. The easiest way to drain the coolant is to just pull the lower radiator hose.
Usually the safest too! I've seen corroded plugs tear right out of radiators when people tried using too much force to open them when they were "frozen" in place.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
On a side note, I haven't used a petcock to drain a radiator since I was 17. I fought one for 5 minutes trying to get it open without breaking it off, then my boss snakes under the car, pulls the rad hose and empties the coolant into a bucket, then says, "stop wasting time and make me money".

Get a storage tub from wally world about 8 inches tall, but with a large capacity, 3-4 gallons should do. Place it under the rad hose and pull it off, done draining in about 2 minutes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.