Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all. I just purchased a 2007 Dodge Caliber r/the and. We noticed the same day that the instrument gauze doesn't light up that shows the fuel Guage, speedometer and temp gages. The very next day the check engine light came on that three a P000B which is a Camshaft sensor code. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
627 Posts
There's a brightness adjustment for the instrument panel on the turn signal stalk...see if that fixes the problem. If it turns out that it's not that and not something like an issue with the TIPM (read up on the TIPM..it's important to know what this does and what problems it can cause), then you're looking at replacing the instrument panel...it uses a non-replaceable electroluminescent sheet for illumination, not light bulbs.

If you're getting a camshaft position sensor code, then the obvious thing would be to test/replace the camshaft position sensor. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the problem with the instrument panel cause the cigarette lighter/ chargers not to work. I didn't see anything about replacing the TIPM

·
Registered
627 Posts
Check the fuses to see if it's just a simple blown fuse issue. If not, the multiple failures could indicate an issue with the TIPM or an issue with a wiring harness. Both are not uncommon problems with our cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a blown fuse. think I have a short. If we messy with the fuse box they will periodically work. Although the charging ports in the car won't. How do I replace the TIPM?

·
Registered
627 Posts
The TIPM is an expensive part, so guessing that it's the problem could be a costly mistake.

The fact that the affected devices work when you move things around doesn't suggest a bad TIPM, but a wiring issue of some sort. Pull the existing TIPM out and look at the 6 or so connectors on the bottom where all of the wiring harnesses plug into it. It might simply be a matter of one or more pins having some corrosion on them and needing to be cleaned. Also check the harness connectors for corrosion.

If it's not that, the next thing to do is get a wiring diagram and look to see if there are any commonalities (like a common ground) that the affected devices share. It could be a chaffed/broken wire in the harness (common problem if it's the harness that runs under the battery and along the inside of the driver side front fender) or a bad shared ground causing intermittent operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts