Dodge Caliber Forum banner
161 - 180 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Bummer

What is the plan now?

Also, what do you think killed it? Too much boost? How much boost do you think you could have safely run?
Yahh i was hoping it would last longer... But i will say it did very good with the railiart turbo at 10 psi. I had it at 205 whp which was nice but me tuning it i was never able to get PT tuned good until the last day of putting back the clutch in lol.

I am going to say the failure was me and my tuning. I was dumping WAY TO MUCH FUEL. I was trying to get it around 9.50 afr after 4.5k rpm but i could not get it there for some reason. It kept going to below 8 afr.

Also i did notice that at 5.3k RPM it kept misfiring or stalling out. I was super rich though... I had a hard time removing fuel at that range for some reason and I also had a problem with ST Knock appearing even at 9.33 afr...

I will be resting today and maybe tomorrow. But I think i am going to swap to the 2.4 as there are more options for pistons and rods... Unless the block is fine and it is a dropped valve or cracked.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
I know i am still guessing but i am wondering if my rpm gauge was off. I did notice that my vcm was showing higher rpm then my cluster rpm.. the car also felt good.. i wonder if the car was reving higher then what it was telling me..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know i am still guessing but i am wondering if my rpm gauge was off. I did notice that my vcm was showing higher rpm then my cluster rpm.. the car also felt good.. i wonder if the car was reving higher then what it was telling me..
That is possible, were you regularly hitting the rev limiter/redline?

I adjusted the rev limiter on my race car down to 5,900 RPM to protect the engine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Well here it is! Cyl 1 is very loose which may be cause of the smoke coming out of it. Cyl 4 has a chip on the piston.

Now just gotta think what to do. I really think it messed up due to my tune. I cant do as many back to back pulls as i did with the small turbo. The small turbo at 10psi was very forgiving.

Also the car was running super rich which i think caused this. Maybe a afr of 6 or 7 for a long time. I was trying to figure out how to get it to around 10 but it was not easy at all with the 750's for me. A pro tuner would have no problem.. if running rich would cause something like this then it was me and not the cars fault at all.

Automotive tire Audio equipment Engineering Auto part Space

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Engineering Gas

Grille Automotive lighting Grass Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
376 Posts
When I had my car tuned, I had the tuner disable torque management and all the other safety protections for the engine. All of these things will reduce fuel when you get over certain load/wheel spin, etc. , which makes the mix lean...even if it is normally running rich.

In any case, what is the plan now? Rebuild, 2.4 swap, swap in an EVO turbo motor?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
When I had my car tuned, I had the tuner disable torque management and all the other safety protections for the engine. All of these things will reduce fuel when you get over certain load/wheel spin, etc. , which makes the mix lean...even if it is normally running rich.

In any case, what is the plan now? Rebuild, 2.4 swap, swap in an EVO turbo motor?

I am thinking motor swap. I just gotta figure out how to do it in my drive way lol.. thats the hard part. Also would you happen to have the stock 2.4 ecm file? I am looking on hptuners but i only see srt 4..

Also the head gasket was pretty strong tbh!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think i am just going to wait until a good deal comes up and what ever first comes is where i will go. For now i guess ill try to clean the carpet 😂😂
How about buying an entire Caliber salvage with a 2.4L (or whatever engine you want)? Then you get the engine, computer, etc. and can scrap the rest.

This one was salvaged for rear end damage, it runs and drives and otherwise looks like it is in ok shape... buy it now price of $700:

This one is even cheaper and the body is obviously rusted out, but it also runs and drives:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
How about buying an entire Caliber salvage with a 2.4L (or whatever engine you want)? Then you get the engine, computer, etc. and can scrap the rest.

This one was salvaged for rear end damage, it runs and drives and otherwise looks like it is in ok shape... buy it now price of $700:

This one is even cheaper and the body is obviously rusted out, but it also runs and drives:

That first one is awesome haha. i need the interior so bad but i wish it was here in GA. I think i am just going to let time pass a bit before i make this decision. I think i may even pull the block out and rebuild and bore it out haha. I will keep you all posted!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
So when i got it dynoed at 10 psi it was at 205 whp with the railiart turbo and railiart intercooler. I never got to dyno with the evo x intercooler. But it did make about a 11 -21 degree diffrence. I do have some logs on it. I would have to sort them out.

For 220 whp i am not sure.. i would say 14 psi. Maybe even just 10 with the evo x intercooler and a retune.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
So i broke it down some more and it looks like you can pull cylinders 1,2,3 out without removing the motor. 4 it looks like i gotta pull the mid part of the block off.

cylinder 1 piston was also cracked as you can see in one for the pics. that was the one causing the smoke to come out when i pulled the spark plug and valve cover.

Automotive tire Audio equipment Font Engineering Wood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Traffic light

Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Black Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Engineering Auto part

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Nut Auto part

161 - 180 of 225 Posts