Dodge Caliber Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
I am back! I will be trying this again. I am trying to debate swapping the motor, harness, and ecu. Or just slapping a turbo on the 1.8.

So far i have two problems. One is that the coolant keeps either burning up or leaking out after a couple of drives. It dose not over heat but i would like to solve this first. Maybe the water pump is bad?

Second is that the transmission is leaking out of the fill hole and maybe axle seal. I have a autozone axle currently in there and a new axle seal from mopar. I may have over filled the transmission. I will post pics soon. I still have the old axle but did not try it with the new seal.

Finally i took a look at the downpipe on this car if that is what it is call off of the exhaust manifold and i see it is a 4 Bolt. I have a test turbo i could attach to it to get some fitment to it. But then i will need to figure out how to route the charge pipes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So right now it looks like i may have overfilled the the transmission because when I pulled the fill hole transmission fluid poured out. So i am letting it sit now. I also cleaned up some of the gunk on the motor and i see where the coolant is coming from. Now i just need to figure out what part it is called haha. Pics below
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive exterior Hood

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I did not know this car had two thermostats lol. So i will see if that seal or one is failing. The secondary thermostat. after checking if the transmission leak is gone now

·
Registered
267 Posts
How has your progress been on the car? Solve the heating issue?
It turns out that my overheating issue was not due to a lack of cooling capacity, it was due to coolant loss from a warped head.

I blew the head gasket at the track on a test day.

If you are losing coolant in your car and there is no obvious leak, then it could very well be your head/gasket.

Fixing the coolant loss should be your top priority. That must be fixed before going with a turbo or other performance mods.

If you are going with a turbo, then switching to head studs is also a must. See my thread above for the link.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
u are going with a turbo, then switching to head studs is also a must. See my thread above for the link.
ah i see. Well i am glad you figured it out. I also saw a post you had on HPTuners as well.

I found the leak. It was coming from the gasket and secondary thermostat gasket inside of the black plastic casing. But when i fixed that water is now leaking from the radiator it looks now on the tall hose side. So i am going to pull it down again later on and see where it is coming from.

Correct i will be looking for some arp or srt4 headstuds?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Replaced the radiator, valve cover gasket, and transmission fill hole. No leaks at all now! I got the TYC radiator from amazon, fel pro gasket from autozone, and the fill plug from dodge.

Automotive tire Light Product Tread Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

I ordered some turbo parts and just waiting now. The intercooler came yesterday and now just waiting to see what to do with the ECM really.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So there is two more problems i need to get by.

1. It seems like there is this random missfire or something. The speedometerr goes crazy and then the car feels like a missfire. Anyone know what this could be? I do have aftermarket coilpacks i changed about 2 years ago and new spark plugs.

2. The ECM for the tune. I know John said megasquirt but i am still trying to get some information on how this works and if it can be ran in parallels with the current ECM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I have been emailing hptuners for a couple of days now and I just checked the hptuners site now and i see it on there the 1.8. I feel like there is hope for us 1.8 ecm guys!

Black Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The turbo came in. This is actually my first water cooled turbo so i gotta figure out how to run these lines now. Never done it before. I am not to sure if i will need it though if i am not boosting high no?

I also hope the manifold lines up as good as I think. I got the turbo manifold and turbo from a lancer ralliart. Next i am looking for some fuel injectors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Good News! HP tuners now supports the 1.8 so all is go on the ecm portion. Now i just need to get some splitters, and turbo lines and good to put everything on. I should be getting a new speed sensor tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Quick update, I got the HPTuner in and now i am looking for a diverter valve. I also have an idea of the coolant lines for the turbo lines now. So all i gotta do now is test fit everything. I may give it a try this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Well I found some seats at the junkyard. I cleaned them up and will be putting them in today. Kinda got side tracked from the original project lol. Ill upload some before and after pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Old
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Fixture Window

New

Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Tints and shades Art

I did clean up the new ones from the junkyard a bit I gotta do the carpet next but gotta figure out the best method of doing so as it is horrible

21 - 39 of 39 Posts