Dodge Caliber Forum banner
181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
It is here! Valve cover looks damaged and the tensioner and pully are frozen. So i will use the ones from my old motor.

Any way to tell that this is a 2.4? I am still confused on how to tell without taking the head off

I also gotta pull the oil pan and put the old one on.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Asphalt

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Gas

Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Train Gas

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Caliber Sxt : 2008 Dodge Caliber Srt4
7 Posts
It is here! Valve cover looks damaged and the tensioner and pully are frozen. So i will use the ones from my old motor.

Any way to tell that this is a 2.4? I am still confused on how to tell without taking the head off

I also gotta pull the oil pan and put the old one on.

View attachment 17493
View attachment 17492
View attachment 17491
View attachment 17490
There should be a vin plate on the side of the block. If the 8th digit of the series is a K its a 2.4

since you went with a 2.4 are you gonna try and tune it yourself again? i think you said your boost was peaking around 10-12? thats what the stock srt4 kinda sits at. do you think theres enough variance in the tune to just load stock srt4 tune off hptuners now?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I see from the picture above that your replacement engine has the stock/non-SRT4 coolant adapter.

You should replace this with the SRT-4 version of the coolant adapter, it has much better flow characteristics. Here is one of my threads that covers it:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
There should be a vin plate on the side of the block. If the 8th digit of the series is a K its a 2.4

since you went with a 2.4 are you gonna try and tune it yourself again? i think you said your boost was peaking around 10-12? thats what the stock srt4 kinda sits at. do you think theres enough variance in the tune to just load stock srt4 tune off hptuners now?
I checked the block but could not find anything with a K. maybe because it is a Canada motor?

I can. I started that with the 1.8 but had better success with just modifying the stock tune and dialing it in that way. Maybe the 2.4 will like the srt 4 tune better. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I see from the picture above that your replacement engine has the stock/non-SRT4 coolant adapter.

You should replace this with the SRT-4 version of the coolant adapter, it has much better flow characteristics. Here is one of my threads that covers it:

I am going the use the one that came with the 1.8 as the heater hoses have bigger outlet and inlet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
So the oil pan from the 1.8 is smaller. I will have to drill the 2.4 oil pan for the turbo return line. On the other note the chain and rods look good! The 2.4 oil pick up is is bigger then the 1.8. and the 2.4 oil pick up says 2.4 lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Well this is harder then i expected getting the motor back in lol. Hopefully i can get it up tomorrow. I had to take the transmission out and put the engine in with the turbo and manifold. I tried putting it all in together but I may have not had the correct angles. Also i think my engine mount is rusted so i may have to put on my old one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
So got the car started today! It fired right up! Now i just gotta get the coolant lines connected as the turbo water lines sit different now for some reason. I think it was because it was never set correctly the first time. With the motor out i was able to see what was going on a lot better and it is now seated good with no leaks. Also the wastegate is rattling due to me not getting it tight enough. Tomorrow i should be able to get it back on the road!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
The car is up and running. Took it to mc donalds and back home. So far so good! Only thing is my tune is to rich at idle. So i am messing around with the trims and fuel to see if i can get it to 14.7.. it is at a afr of 12 currently..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
My gosh i may be in over my head trying to get the 1.8 ecu to work correctly but i am trying.. Afr is off and so is spark and idle. Lots of work a head of me but man dose it pull compared to the 1.8 lol.

I may look for a pro tuner because this feels kinda overwhelming atm. Not quitting though haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you use your 1.8 or the 2.4 injectors? I read jumping to bigger injectors on the same tune can sometimes confuse the ecu and cause it to dump more fuel than needed? I only ask because I'm doing the same thing as you in the coming days. I'm putting the 2.4 in and would like to use my 1.8 ecu. I was hoping I could at least start the car on my 1.8 ecu after swapping in the 2.4. I could say it's running but needing a tune. I'm debating on what injectors to use after reading that bigger isn't always better.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Did you use your 1.8 or the 2.4 injectors? I read jumping to bigger injectors on the same tune can sometimes confuse the ecu and cause it to dump more fuel than needed? I only ask because I'm doing the same thing as you in the coming days. I'm putting the 2.4 in and would like to use my 1.8 ecu. I was hoping I could at least start the car on my 1.8 ecu after swapping in the 2.4. I could say it's running but needing a tune. I'm debating on what injectors to use after reading that bigger isn't always better.
Interesring. I have not tried the 1.8 injectors. I am using 04 pt cruiser gt injectors. Blue tops currently. I am going to try the 750ccs later. I think i might not be plugging in the correct numbers now that i am thinking about it.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts