Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caliber won't start, no crank no clicks. After reading about similar issues I went right to the relay box behind the headlight. Found a corroded relay, the pin was broken off. I repaired the the slot and replaced the relay and I'm still getting nothing. Found another corroded wire so repaired that while I was at it.

There is now a red lighting bolt lit up in the dash. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I'm going to test the starter and solenoid this afternoon to see if I'm getting any power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched and found zero corrosion in wiring beyond what I previously noted. I bypassed the computer by jumping the relay and the solenoid is clicking. I decided to put everything back together and have mechanic take over from here.

After reassembly I am getting a clear click at the starter solenoid, hopefully the electrical issues are resolved and it's just a starter or solenoid issue.

I'm back to work and have no time to repair myself.

The relay box behind the driver fender is almost certainly the source of the problem. It had clearly been repaired previously and was again corroded.

I will update and let you guys know what the problem is. Oh... I still have the red bolt.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Check the short wire that goes between the starter solenoid and the starter motor. Just saw a video that indicates that the wire is prone to corrosion and complete failure, resulting in a no-crank situation. The starter is also a PITA to get out of the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mechanic replaced starter and car is running. Could the bad relay/corroded cable have destroyed the starter? Only after relay repair did I get any clicking at the starter so I believe both were part of the overall issue.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Were you able to look at the old starter to see if the wire between the solenoid and the motor had failed? All we can really do is theorize what might have happened but my initial thought would be that a starter relay that failed due to corrosion on one of the control pins would not have caused the starter to fail, but would have prevented the starter solenoid from firing. You fixed the relay, the starter solenoid started firing again.

It's entirely possible you had multiple points of failure, the relay to the starter solenoid went bad and the wiring between the starter solenoid and motor also happened to fail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts