Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we go to the grocery store today, and the caliber wont start. :fca5278d:
I turn the key and nothing happens. I can hear it tick under the hood. Tried it a few times...nothing. It wasn't a bad battery, all the lights were working and radio, just wouldn't start! So I called the 24 Hour Chrysler Service and they came out and towed it to my local dealer. When we arrived at the dealer they were closing within 15 minutes, so I wont know what's wrong with it till probability tomorrow Lucky for me, it reads exactly 31,600 miles on the odometer. Just around 6k more and it would a all been on my dime. Anyone have a clue what's wrong with it? Starter?
thanks,
justin

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
So we go to the grocery store today, and the caliber wont start.

I turn the key and nothing happens. I can hear it tick under the hood. Tried it a few times...nothing. It wasn't a bad battery, all the lights were working and radio, just wouldn't start! So I called the 24 Hour Chrysler Service and they came out and towed it to my local dealer. When we arrived at the dealer they were closing within 15 minutes, so I wont know what's wrong with it till probability tomorrow Lucky for me, it reads exactly 31,600 miles on the odometer. Just around 6k more and it would a all been on my dime. Anyone have a clue what's wrong with it? Starter?
thanks,
justin
It's the crap battery. The lights probably worked until you tried to crank the engine. You probably have one dead cell.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Doesn't really matter if they tried a jump start. If that battery had a dead cell or two, it still won't jump. I have to agree with Brad on this one. There have been numerous members who've had to have the crappy batteries replaced. I've been lucky with mine so far. It'll be two years old on April 25th and so far, no battery troubles at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? Think so? It didn't seem to me that it was the battery. Well well see, I'm going to call and harass them about it in an hour or so...

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Let us know what they tell you. It may be a learning experience for all of us.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Short of it being the battery, it could be the key code reader.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah it sounds like the battery, my lancer had an issue like that everything would turn on lights, radio etc but it wouldnt turn over it just clicked. i had to push start it to get home(thank god for standards) went and got a new battery and everything was gravy.
i wanna hear what they tell you tho.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I'll go with the battery. Could also be the key fob or something bad in the starter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
hey

my caliber every once in awhile will turn over several times before it starts took to our local dealer and they said it has to do it more often before they can code it on the computer.i wander if mine is the battery.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
my caliber every once in awhile will turn over several times before it starts took to our local dealer and they said it has to do it more often before they can code it on the computer.i wander if mine is the battery.
Sounds like it could be a faulty crankshaft or camshaft position sensor, or the fuel pump. If when engine warm, position sensor. If engine cold, fuel pump.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was in fact the key reader. I knew it wasn't the battery

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
It was in fact the key reader. I knew it wasn't the battery
That's why I mentioned the key code reader in my second post. I reread your post and you sounded pretty convinced it wasn't the battery. Glad it got fixed promptly.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts