Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the front Pads and rotors on my Caliber. None of the shops I checked with can tell me what size my car takes. There are two sizes that come up in the database. a 10.8" and a 11.5". even the local dealer couldn't tell me based on my VIN. The car is a SXT sport, with 17" Alloy wheels, and drums on the back. Anyone have any idea what the correct size is?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Why don't you just pull a wheel off and measure it yourself? It's not that difficult or can't you read a tape measure?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
If you have drums on the back, then the rotors will be the smaller ones. If you have disc brakes on the rear you may have either size depending on the wheels you have. Best bet is to make sure by measuring them like Charlie posted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I replaced the pads and rotors last night, and it was actually the larger 11.6" that was required. This is for a 2007 SXT Sport with CVT. Front disc, rear drums and ABS.
The larger would be required to makeup for the reduced braking power of the rear drums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have drums on the back, then the rotors will be the smaller ones. If you have disc brakes on the rear you may have either size depending on the wheels you have. Best bet is to make sure by measuring them like Charlie posted.
For real? Dodge just threw random parts on random cars - and you gotta guess or get dirty? Im a 55y/o femaie. I have no tools, I am in a city on a temporary but lengthy stay and someone who made these cars perhaps should have written down which parts they used.
So, I have to pay someone to take my wheel off, and measure it, and put it back on so I can order one? Is the front the same process?

·
Registered
3 Posts
For real? Dodge just threw random parts on random cars - and you gotta guess or get dirty? Im a 55y/o femaie. I have no tools, I am in a city on a temporary but lengthy stay and someone who made these cars perhaps should have written down which parts they used.
So, I have to pay someone to take my wheel off, and measure it, and put it back on so I can order one? Is the front the same process?
And how do I know if I have drums or discs? Is that random as well?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Dodge didn't throw random parts on random cars, but they did use various combinations of disks and drums on the Caliber, depending on which trim level you have.

All cars have disks on the front. The base model Calibers had drums in the back (which is perfectly acceptable), higher trim levels had disks. If you look through the rim of your front tires you'll see a shiny disk about 2" in height behind it. If you can see a smaller shiny disk on the back wheels, you have rear disks. If you don't see it, you have drums.

Easiest thing to do is identify which model you have and go to www.rockauto.com and look up brake parts. They usually specify the models that a particular part will fit.

·
Super Moderator
12,074 Posts
Denise, you are picking up discussion points from 6 years ago when we were uncovering compatability issues with differing specifications for year, market, trim, engine, wheels etc.

The advice of the forum for SXTs was not to rely on any website recommendation but check by measuring. However if a website does make a specfic recommendation for your vehicle then at least they normally offer free replacement if incorrect - still a hassle and delays

If you are unfamiliar with brake discs and will not be removing wheels then whoever you select to do the work will sort the parts for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts