Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the on ramp ready to get onto the QEW. An 18 wheeler decided he wasn't going to let me into the traffic. I had cars behind me so I couldn't slow down and pull in behind him. I had never slammed my foot to the floor before, because I had never need to, so I didn't know what to expect if I did it now. I realized I had no choice but to put the pedal to the metal. I floored it ! My Caliber shot forward so fast it took me by surprise. It moved like a bat out of hell. I flew past the 18 wheeler like it was standing still. WOW, what a great feeling ! :gr_grin:

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Do you have an SRT? My CVT automatic would never accelerate like that and I often drove it like I stole it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Neither does my 1.8L... Maybe just never had a fast car and our definitions of fast are different lol.

This caliber is as much of a slug as my ol 79 IH scout ii.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Tonatom, you wanna drive a slug? Try a 2013 Scion IQ. My son has one and it's the slowest damned car I've ever driven. And that includes a 1988 Hyundai Excel. !!!! My Caliber wasn't too bad, in spite of that frigging CVT. But I broke it in hard, just like I was planning on driving it. I break in every new car I get like I'm gonna be driving it. I don't pamper them at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Flyinghigh : I have an SXT, 2.0L CVT engine. After 9 1/2 years she still runs well. I just put in new spark plugs ( NGK Iridium) and the engine idles really smoothly. Passing that 18 wheeler was a real kick ! I'm hoping to keep my Caliber for another 5 years. FYI- 1986 ( new) Monte Carlo kept for 14 years. 1995 ( used 5 years) Pontiac kept for 15 years.In my humble opinion, if you drive a car into the ground, you have only yourself to blame when she costs you lots in repairs or she simply dies.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
That's true, PuddleJumper, but I don't mind working on my own cars. What I don't like is having to fix **** that should be under warranty, though. THAT really gets under my skin. With the money these clowns make in the car factories today, they SHOULD be more competent than back in the days before the robots started doing the bulk of the work. If I break it, I expect to fix it. If was broken because some fool left out a bolt or a fastener, then I don't think I SHOULD have to fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts