Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
U.S. Top 15 Worst Selling Cars

The Dodge Caliber hatchback has plenty of room to pack your stuff for a quick getaway, but these days it is going nowhere fast. American car dealers are taking an average of 223 days to clear the Caliber off their lots. That's more than seven months -- a longer sales period than any other major-selling car on the market today.

The Caliber is joined by a host of other American-made vehicles at the top of a list of cars American drivers have little intrest in buying, including: the Dodge Avenger, Pontiac G6 and the Chevrolet Cobalt. In fact, 12 of the 15 slowest selling cars on a list prepared by Edmunds for ABC News are American made. On the foreign side only the Kia Optima, and Spectra and the Hyundai Sonata were on the list of automotive dogs.

Ford only had one vehicle on it: the venerable Mustang.

Jessica Caldwell, an industry analyst at Edmunds.com, said that part of the problem is a lack of customer demand and part is an overproduction by American automakers.

Edmunds looked at cars sold by dealerships in May and how long they had been on the lots. Only models with 2,000 or more sales were included in the list to filter out lesser-known and obscure models. A healthy day supply number is about 60 days.

Pontiac's G6, Dodge's Charger, Jeep's Patriot, Chevrolet's Cobalt and Colorado and Ford's Mustang rounded up the top 10 worst performing models in May -- all with day supplies higher than 145 days.

Models that are doing relatively well in the market are those with a good fuel economy, quality reputations and reasonable prices, said Joe Phillippi, of AutoTrends Consulting.

Chrysler's Dodge Caliber is particularly inept seller at 223 days. The car features a lot of cargo room, but Edmunds.com called the car "one of the least appealing small hatchbacks or wagons on the market" pointing to the Caliber's meager 172 horsepower engine that delivers "sluggish acceleration" and they noted the "unimpressive build quality." Despite its reasonable price, Car and Driver magazine says the Caliber's "vague steering" and "heavy ride" may make the vehicle seem more like a truck than a compact vehicle.

The Dodge Avenger is far from the meanest selling car on the lot. Its 211 day supply is surpassed only by its relative, the Dodge Caliber. Because of the car's "polarizing styling, budget interior materials and tepid driving dynamics," Edmunds.com says it's no surprise when consumers pass over the Avenger for a different midsized all-wheel drive model.

Despite its aggresive name, the Dodge Charger takes 163 days to creep off the lot. The reincarnated muscle car offers V8 performance and has a good amount of space for families on-the-go. But for drivers looking for a large sedan, Edmunds.com writes that competitors like the Ford Taurus and Honda Accord are "more practical choices."

The Jeep Patriot, another Chrysler brand, fails to get much of a salute from reviewers. This SUV-like model has good fuel economy and durable off-road features and a 163 day supply. But unless you're expecting to go trail-blazing through the Kalahari, Edmunds.com says that with its cheap interior design and lackluster engine power, the Patriot "should be near the bottom of your list."

:shakehead:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
:wow: :cry2: :wow:

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
If only I had 1€ for every time I've read or heard something bad about Caliber's .... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
then................................

i would marrie you!!!!
:gr_grin:

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
And we would be RICH and HAPPY with our worst selling cars :gr_grin:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
:jok::jok::jok::gr_grin::gr_grin::jok::jok::jok:

:naughty:

c'mon... what are we waiting for?
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I really find this hard to believe... I can't even take a drive through the city without seeing 4 or 5 calibers, and cobalts... perhaps I live in an odd town. I would agree with most of the remainder of that article though.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
There are probably pockets of high density of Calibers. Same for Montreal region. SXTs abound. More so than SEs. I'd say on my regular commute, I see about 5 different SRTs.

6 now!

·
Registered
3,985 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I haven't seen an SRT4 on the road ever.. I been looking when I drive into fort worth ...all I see is a few regular Calibers and a few SXTs one R/T in the last six months.

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a rather favorable review of the SRT4.
From what I have seen the SRT4 falls into a class of desirable affordable performance where there is a demand.

The glut of base model Calibers seems to have built up from a delayed production response to $4 gas last summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with you guys. I have seen loads of SE and SXT's but only 1 SRT4 since I have bought mine.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I do see lots of Cobalts and Calibers as well around here and in my tours while working. I drive by, until recently cause I moved, a Mazda/Chev/Ford/Hyundai/Chrysler dealer twice a day (morning and evening) and I often peek over to see what is still there. Unless it's new product of the same color in the exact same parking spot, I do see the same Calibers lined up in addition to many Wranglers.

Same with Chev, there is two dealerships within km's of each other and the same Colorado's are sitting there. One even has a billboard listing a MSRP $29999 extended cab colorado for 20999 and "top dollar" for your trade in. This is the same dealer that offered me $5000 for my Caliber so I wonder the validity of that advert. I'd like to get into a crew cab Colorado but both cars I own run fine so it'd be silly to do it now. especially since both are paid for.

The same used F150's have been sitting in the Mazda lot for a while now too.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i haven't had any big problems with the cali. I honestly believe that even if chrysler puts out a good car, people aren't going to buy it. people nowadays are all about brand, not necessarily quality.

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dodge Caliber WAS the Best Selling Car

found this from 3 years ago to contrast with latest situation

Dodge dealers can't keep the Caliber in stock -
Chrysler views vehicles such as the Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus ZX5, five-door Mazda3 and Hyundai Elantra GT5 as Caliber's primary competitors.

Dealer Herb Chambers can't get his hands on enough Calibers. He says he has a backlog of 60 orders. "We're getting allocation of five or six or seven a month," says the owner of Herb Chambers Dodge in Danvers, Mass. "We have a 10-month wait to get them. It is the hottest Dodge product we've had in 10 years."

The average Caliber is taking 10 days to leave the dealer lot, and the number is not going up even though the car is in its fifth month on sale.

The average transaction price, minus cash rebate, has risen steadily and is now $18,100. By comparison, the Chrysler 300's price dropped 2 percent for the first five months.

The average transaction price of the Caliber rose more in its first five months than that of any other domestic model launched during the past 37 months - up 7 percent.

Reactions: Mich321

·
Registered
939 Posts
«Jessica Caldwell, an industry analyst at Edmunds.com, said that part of the problem is a lack of customer demand ....»

Genius, sheer genius. Maybe she will move up in the automotive press and work for Consumer Deports.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If Chrysler offered the Diesel Engine , as in Europe/UK... The Caliber & Patriot would soon shoot up the US sales Charts!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I sometimes wonder if Chrysler/Dodge really wants to sell the Caliber. I liked it since it came out but I always thought it would be a high priced vehicle. Everytime I passed the dealer I would see the Caliber but no pricing. I always thought they just wanted to reel people in and wham them with the price.

Exactly one year ago today, I had gone out looking for used cars, maybe a Camry or Altima. I had already gone to about 5 or 6 dealers in the area, and I happened to make a stop light at the Chrysler dealer on my way back home. I had made up my mind with an used Camry but I passed the dealer and said to myself I would return the next day. Since I was at the stop light with no other cars in sight, I steered to the left to enter the Chrysler dealer. As I entered the lot, I saw this Red SXT Caliber with Sunroof. My first thought was the cost. I asked an it was only $17,995 (there is a 6.6% import fee in Puerto Rico for vehicles). Two thousand $$$ less than what they had asked me for the Camry (4 Cilinder) at another dealer. About an hour later, I was riding my new Caliber home. Exactly a year later, and only 12,408 miles, I'm pretty happy with the SXT and have no regrets. No modifications yet but new tires and rims will replace the current ones once it is time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in a pretty small town and I've seen at least 7 other calibers, 5 SXT's, 1 R/T and an SE. The only SRT I've seen was at a dealership. I think the "truck-like handling" is actually seen as a benefit around here because we have pretty harsh weather every year; most people have a truck or SUV. I know I have, for the most part, driven larger vehicles and I like the way the cali handles. :gr_grin:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts