Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk lid just broke off today. The plastic around all the bolts broke. Wondering if anyone else had this problem before and if so, how'd you fix it?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
My trunk lid just broke off today. The plastic around all the bolts broke. Wondering if anyone else had this problem before and if so, how'd you fix it?
Not sure what you are referring to. Since these cars are a hatchback; they don't have trunk lids. They have cargo areas with lift gates. Are you referring to the interior plastic trim? Maybe a picture would help?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm assuming the OP is talking about the plastic piece that has the handle & badges on it.

It's a common problem that I've heard of before. The issue is that it's just plastic, so eventually it will fail. I've been lucky so far with no problems in 7+ years so far.

Best bet would be to go to a junk yard and find one in the same colour. They aren't that hard to remove & replace.

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
I'm assuming the OP is talking about the plastic piece that has the handle & badges on it.
/
/
Best bet woud be to go to a junk yard and find one in the same colour. They aren't that hard to remove & replace.
No wiser :( my 'badges' are on the metal tailgate.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
No wiser :( my 'badges' are on the metal tailgate.
You have no badges on the plastic piece lighlighted in blue here?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Post a picture of what broke and maybe you'll get some help.

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
I see a RAM head badge there!

He's talking about the plastic handle lock release underneath the RAM.
I don't have the parts list with me so I'll look it up in a day or two if no one else chips in first.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I see a RAM head badge there!

He's talking about the plastic handle lock release underneath the RAM.
I don't have the parts list with me so I'll look it up in a day or two if no one else chips in first.
That entire piece that I highlighted in blue in my above picture is plastic.

I've seen too many reports of the entire piece breaking off - which is what I figured the OP was asking about.

·
Super Moderator
12,194 Posts
That entire piece that I highlighted in blue in my above picture is plastic.

I've seen too many reports of the entire piece breaking off - which is what I figured the OP was asking about.
You are correct. The handle is integral to that piece

Liftgates Figure 30-705

4 HANDLE, Liftgate
05191807AB 1 B, D, E 49 With [MPN] And [JE8] Sales Codes
05191808AB 1 B, D, E 49 With [MPN] And [JPH] Sales Codes

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com...cense-lamp--MPN-JE8-H/4498612/05191807AB.html

$156

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having an issue with this piece your talking about. Where's the best place to get a replacement part? Had anyone else repaired this? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Happened to me too, DON"T use it for external bike racks! It will brake the lid.
It has 4 bolts and all plastic.
I had to replace the whole lid, 300$.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took the old off the other day to see exactly what was broken. It was the metal bolts coming through the plastic(what a cheap and dumb design). I still had a few bolts attached so I reinstalled and ordered a new part on ebay for like 180.00 US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I Have the same problem. What is this part actually called?
I'm thinking going "old school" with some epoxy or small self-tapping sheet metal screws...maybe both.:doh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could I ask you where you put the self-tapping screws in? I have the same issue with the lift gate popping off on a 2007 Caliber, the car isn't worth the $200 part since it has over 350,000 miles on it. Thank you in advance!
Went with self-tapping screws......problem solved.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You need to remove the entire inside plastic of the lift, then look for the nuts. You’ll also need to disconnect pull-cables and unplug a few things.

Super easy if you have someone helping you. A fair pain trying to do it oneself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to remove the entire inside plastic of the lift, then look for the nuts. You’ll also need to disconnect pull-cables and unplug a few things.

Super easy if you have someone helping you. A fair pain trying to do it oneself.

Okay thank you ill end up doing it myself , i just did know how or where to start lol and i can see one of the nuts from where the plastic broke and fell in ... But thank you again for telling me .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts