Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
BRAKE LIGHTS NOT WORKING . THIRD BRAKE LIGHT WORKS
BROUGHT IT TO DEALER THEY SAID THE TIPM HAD TO BE RESET .
ANYONE HAVE THIS PROBLEM. DEALER SAID IT HAD TO DO WITH TRAILER HITCH PLUG I INSTALLED.
CHARGED ME $108.00 TO RESET. I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE COVER UNDER WARRANTY.
I GUESS NOT!!!!!:shakehead:

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Yup, as you found out, the TIPM doesn't like the change in resistance. This isn't a warranty issue because you caused the issue. You could have saved some money if you had come here first. Disconnecting the battery for a hour will reset it.

You need to study up on the proper way to connect the trailer wiring by visiting out Knowledge Base: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=5202

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Brad, are they honestly this sensitive?
Sure are. I can't tell you how many people have had problems because they either added trailer wiring or replaced the bulbs with LEDs. You need to have relays as a buffer, or in the case of LEDs, I've heard you can put power resistors inline to fool the TIPM.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello and welcome LINEMAN69KVA, :wave: to the best Caliber forum on the net.
There is a lot of information and great members here.

Besides the brake issue, I hope you will enjoy the forum & your ride. :Racing:

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
Yep, that's why I let the dealer install my hitch. If I ever have a wiring problem with it, you can bet your butt that they'll be seeing me again. I don't fool with the TIPM at all.

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
:wavey: Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about your problem, hope you'll solve it.
Please keep us posted

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Welcome to the ForumZ!

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Welcome to our Caliber family. Sorry you joined a little late, might have saved you $108.00.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brake light issue

So, I'm new, glad to be here. What if disconnecting the battery for an hour, 07 Caliber, does not work? Is there another method besides going to the dealer that I can try?

Charles

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
So, I'm new, glad to be here. What if disconnecting the battery for an hour, 07 Caliber, does not work? Is there another method besides going to the dealer that I can try?

Charles
If the problem that caused the issue isn't rectified, once you reconnect the battery, the TIPM will just turn the brake lights off again. So you need to fix that problem first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I believe that I did, I took the hitch cables out, and taped up the connections. Could corrosion cause the problem? I did not clean out the cables.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Thanks. I believe that I did, I took the hitch cables out, and taped up the connections. Could corrosion cause the problem? I did not clean out the cables.
It could be. Anything that changes the resistance that the TIPM is expecting can cause it to turn them off. It could also be something else in the circuit has been damaged that you're not aware of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could it be the switch on the brake pedal, and if so, how would I test it? I removed and repaired all the "new" connections, which have been working for at least 6 months. Also, is the TIPM the main computer under the dash? If so, could I clear it with a reader unit from the parts store?

Thanks.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Could it be the switch on the brake pedal, and if so, how would I test it? I removed and repaired all the "new" connections, which have been working for at least 6 months. Also, is the TIPM the main computer under the dash? If so, could I clear it with a reader unit from the parts store?

Thanks.
You can download a free copy of the repair manual in "General Discussions", if you want to learn more about it. The TIPM is separate from the PCM. It's a fuse and relay block under the hood that is monitored by the PCM for any anomalies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue just this past week. Took my car to the dealer on Monday. They told me that my mechanic (who is top rated in the area for trailer wiring) didn't hook it up correctly and blew a control modulator and it would cost me over $900 to fix it. While my car was there I had them replace the rear light fixture (this was under warranty) since it had water in it and they also advised me that they replaced a brake switch - this cost me $18. Apparently, the switch was all it needed because when I took my car back to my wiring mechanic the brake lights were working. The dealer ship tried to scam me!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
If a trailer hitch incorrectly wired causes the problem, does disconnecting the battery fix it until the hitch is installed again?

Thanks

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
If a trailer hitch incorrectly wired causes the problem, does disconnecting the battery fix it until the hitch is installed again?

Thanks
As long as the trailer is disconnected, the TIPM can be reset and the car lights will work.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks Brad,

I noticed the other day with the lights on and trailer attached, when in indicate it shows there is a fault on the instrument panel.

BTW the CRD tows amazigly well!!

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts