Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As topic describe, my brake lights stays on continuesly, even when car is turned off. I have replaced the TIPM with an upgraded one (for various electrical reasons) and replaced the brake pedal switch. The only way to to get the brake lights to turn off, I have to remove the negative battery cable. I checked the ecu with an obd2 reader and no fault codes could be seen. Also checked grounding points for possible failures, but without success.

I can get the brake lights to turn off by placing negative and positive battery cables together to drain the capacitors and wipe the ecu's memory. But as soon I touch the brake pedal, they light up again.

Any thoughts where the trouble could be?

Best regards. Christer.

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Both lights? I would suggest the TIPM is not configured. Was it from an EUR SPEC Caliber with same wiring?

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
I thought you may have US wiring. What year? Amber turn signals or joint.

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
The 07 and most of 08 had the same wiring loom globally.

Joint means the brake and signal light are combined.

Your brake switch activates the circuit but does not disengage. There is a wiring diagram in the Service Manual see if there is anything else connected. I can't think of anything else.

Reactions: christeralund

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Rear fogs are the only difference on the 07. Are you using a Eur TIPM on a US car, maybe it's signalling the fog circuit which I am assuming you don't have in your cluster?

· Registered
601 Posts
Rear fog should only be the driver rear, and would be a separate bulb.

The turn signal should override the brake light. If the turn signal is on and it's not flashing the rear light, I don't think this problem lies with the brake circuit.

I'd suspect the flasher circuit, since that overrides all the others.

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
He has an 07 with separate amber flashers. EUR fogs are both sides inside the cluster. All his bulb holders are separate. I believe that the first 2 model years had a universal wiring harness as Daimler's lead 'global' car. His circuit is being initiated by the pedal switch.

The question is are all tail circuits 'signaled' to the TIPM or are some classic dc. Could the TIPM be waiting for an off signal from something else?

· Registered
121 Posts
Good morning, I think we will have to check the wiring of the TIPM, something must make a bad contact, or badly connected. when you remove the key from the Clausor everything should turn off but it is sending power to the taillights. A greeting.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rear fogs are the only difference on the 07. Are you using a Eur TIPM on a US car, maybe it's signalling the fog circuit which I am assuming you don't have in your cluster?
What i could see i don't have rear foglights..(?) Front fog lights work just fine and indicates on the dashboard cluster.
I have to double check with the company who sold it to me, so they didn't send a EU TIPM. But according to the VIN i gave them, they should perhaps know it is a US model ?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rear fog should only be the driver rear, and would be a separate bulb.

The turn signal should override the brake light. If the turn signal is on and it's not flashing the rear light, I don't think this problem lies with the brake circuit.

I'd suspect the flasher circuit, since that overrides all the others.
Rear fog lights is only on export models according to the workshop manual.
Tried using the turn signals while engine was on, and brake lights was still glowing and turn signals were blinking.
Just came think about something.. there is two cable's that are bridged in one of the sockets under the TIPM. But it looks like it's standard from factory, i have check the wiring diagram what functions it has..

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good morning, I think we will have to check the wiring of the TIPM, something must make a bad contact, or badly connected. when you remove the key from the Clausor everything should turn off but it is sending power to the taillights. A greeting.
Already checked, but it doesn't hurt to tripple check the connectors and wires under there.. Will do that.

( A huge thank you everybody for helping me brainstorming this problem. Much appriciated.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts