Dodge Caliber Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I Can't see any of the pics posted in here, so I'll make a short update and add the rear brake as well.

FRONT CALIBER:

Auto part Vehicle brake Machine Brake Auto part

Loosen the bolts and then turn the caliber from side to side in order to push back the piston enough to get the caliber off.

Hang it properly in order not to destroy the brakelines.

Remove the last part containing the pads, it has two bolts on the inside.

Auto part Machine tool Machine Auto part

I Cleaned it with a steelbrush, and then greased the parts where the pads slide. I used a thin layer of copper grease.

Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Pipe Gas

I used a special tool to press back the piston, then greased the edge of the piston and the other side of the caliber that has contact with the pads. Again a thin layer of copper grease.

Disc brake Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Machine

Installed the Rotor and the part containing the pads. Mount the part with the pads again with the bolts and then press the pads to the disc using the fingers.
Refit the caliber and then re-grease the sliders.

Metal

Dont forget to apply new grease. I used acid-free grease. This will ensure that the pads come back when you are done braking. If no or to little grease, the pads will stay at the disc and get worn.

Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Brake Machine

Jobs done and the next wheel is ready :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
REAR CALIBER:

The Rear part is a bit more tricky.

Auto part Vehicle brake Tire Disc brake Automotive tire

The arrows indicate where the bolts are placed. The Green can be loosened with no problem. The upper Red has the brake line comming in, and you are lucky if it can be loosened with a wrench. No top will cover the bolt.
So forget it and push the caliber upwards, when the lower bolt is pulled out.

Disc brake Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Machine

Pushing the caliber upwards, you can wiggle and push, then it will come off with the one slider bolt attached.
The pads are placed where the arrows indicate.
To remove the disc you'll need to wiggle the disc, but the handbrake can be to tight and prevent you from detaching the disc. Pull out the rubber piece (green arrow) and turn the disc until you see a small gear. Use a flat screwdriver to move the gear in order to loosen the handbrake until the disc comes off. I pulled the gear upwards, two teeth at the time until the disc came of.

Again - Remember to re-grease !!!

Metal

From here it's the same procedure with the steel brush, cleaning and re-greasing.

Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Machine Brake

Pads in place and the caliber ready to be turned downwards and remounted.

I'll have to re-do the back with new pads in a couple of months, If you want more pic's please state I'll do some more then :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi all! just trying to replace my back brakes, which are shoes and not pads. Are these instructions good to follow for that???

-08 caliber sxt owner

·
Registered
115 Posts
i dont know, but but there are some good youtube vids (I dont see a caliber one, but they are all similar)

one bit of advice, take pictures as you go. its surprisingly easy to loose track of where all the parts go

btw, you'd be better to ask a new question on the topic instead of tacking on the end of such an old thread.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
hi all! just trying to replace my back brakes, which are shoes and not pads. Are these instructions good to follow for that???
No. Generally rotors are much easier to work with.

Don't have Caliber shoes but on older cars setup was a learnt skill.
Recommend you do it with a knowledgable person the first time.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Elementary vid for novice first timers

61 - 68 of 68 Posts