Dodge Caliber Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Just to pass along a tip, when installing new brake pads it is always a good idea to use CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the brake pad backing plates. This prevents annoying brake squeal. A bottle of CRC is about $5 or less. You just put a little bit on the metal backing plate, spreading it around evenly, let it air dry for about 15 minutes and then install. Easy as cake.
Good tip - I use Coppaslip for a similar effect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a question could i use a universal spoon to remove the drums off the rear wheels of my cali? I was searching at autozone, advance auto parts, pepboys and sears and they said i gotta go to the dealership. I was wondering if you guys knew of a place online that sells them cheap? Or if i could use the universal one is there a certain size or type I'm looking for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
step four:

pull the caliper off and either tie it up with bungie cord or like i did use the second jack stand that is not being used to support it. you don't want to let the caliper hang from the brake line. it may be tough to pull the caliper off, use a prying tool if need be but be gentle.

step five:

we need to take the brake pad holder off next. there are two 18mm bolts that you can't miss. use the breaker bar to loosen them and then once removed take out your old brake pads.

examine your pads! my dealership was going on about how my life was in danger and the pads really needed changed (after they got me to pay for the rear drums). minimum thickness is 1mm and my old pads measured at 5mm. they probably had decent life left and were not in urgent need of changing.

The back plate/shim (piston marked) on this Original brake pads, is this removable?
I'm just a little bit concern because I noticed REAR brake pads has metal back plates on piston side, and my FRONT does not have it anymore when my FRONT brake pads were replaced. I dont know if front originally has back plates or not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok, so i went to the dealer and have check this rubbing noise in the front-end when im at low speed. And they found that its the brake rotors that needs to be machined or grinded, whatever it is. And if they will do it, they will charge me for $199.95 CAD. which is for me too expensive.

And i was thinking id rather change the brake rotor than send it to a machine shop. Do you think its the best idea to do it?

And may i know what site will i be able to find a good, reliable and reasonably priced brake rotors. I wanna try to do it myself. I did changed my engine oil myself, why not challenge myself in installing the brake rotor.

I would be happy if you guys have an advice to what are the things that i should do before installing. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
And i was thinking id rather change the brake rotor than send it to a machine shop. Do you think its the best idea to do it?

And may i know what site will i be able to find a good, reliable and reasonably priced brake rotors. I wanna try to do it myself. I did changed my engine oil myself, why not challenge myself in installing the brake rotor.

I would be happy if you guys have an advice to what are the things that i should do before installing. Thank you so much!
Not much more advice can be given, this thread pretty much sums up what you need to do to replace the rotors. Just have the proper tools readily available, it's not that hard to do with the right tools.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not much more advice can be given, this thread pretty much sums up what you need to do to replace the rotors. Just have the proper tools readily available, it's not that hard to do with the right tools.
Thanks prop. by the way do you know where i can buy a good Brake rotor online?

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
woops!!Its thanks Excaliber..im sorry
No problem, hopefully you find what you are looking for, and get the job done right.:smileup:

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
One bit of advice and it may have already been given as i didnt read the whole thread. If you are changing the rotors you should change the pads at the same time and make sure you get some non chlorinated brake clean and spray the protective film off of those rotors before you install them. Check any of your local auto parts stores..You can usually pick up decent aftermarket parts from any one of those stores.

·
Registered
142 Posts
DO you guys think it would be better for my rotors to be machined and use it for a while? Since the dealer recommends to have it machined. My cali has 31,233 kilometers on it right now. Thanks again. Just wanna stick on my budget this days.

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
DO you guys think it would be better for my rotors to be machined and use it for a while? Since the dealer recommends to have it machined. My cali has 31,233 kilometers on it right now. Thanks again. Just wanna stick on my budget this days.
$200 just to have the rotors machined seems high to me. If you could buy rotors and pads for less, and do it yourself, it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
$200 just to have the rotors machined seems high to me. If you could buy rotors and pads for less, and do it yourself, it's a no brainer.
It is indeed very high, id rather spend that for a new rotor and brake pads. By the way, is MONROE Brake rotors and pads a good choice in those kinda parts? Can i trust them? Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
10,855 Posts
It is indeed very high, id rather spend that for a new rotor and brake pads. By the way, is MONROE Brake rotors and pads a good choice in those kinda parts? Can i trust them? Thanks!!!
Never used them for those parts, but they are a trusted brand.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok, so i decided to have my rotor re-surfaced as per Dealers advice (went to Fountain tire to have it resurfaced)

Got the rotors and installed it back with new brake pads (Monroe brand) followed the instruction in the how-to section.

Drove the car and still i can hear the rubbing metal noise at low speed and or after taking in to a complete stop and ease it off and and run gradually.

Is there a change that the calipers where defective or not working properly?

Thanks all

G

·
Brake Install Question

Many thanks to executor for a great write-up and great photos. I'm planning on doing the front brake job this weekend. Here's my question to any who have tackled this job: I downloaded the factory service manual offered on this site and read the install instructions, but they don't mention removing the brake pad holder 18mm bolts mentioned in this write-up. It appears as though they are removing the pads from that assembly....recommending clean-up with water and a damp rag only, and installing the new pads on the already mounted holding assembly. I'm thinking that the less I have to remove the better. Any advise from those that have done it?
Also one quick comment....the Service Manual specifically states that the protective zinc-based protective coating on the rotors should not be removed...that it is intended to be rubbed-off during the test drive.
Thanks again for a great job and follow-up comments. :smileup:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts