Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’m new to this forum. Today after releasing the E-Brake, and putting in drive the Brake , ABS and Anti skid dash lights all came on at the same time.
Not sure where to start as many people staying different issues but I believe one issue is causing all 3 dash lights to stay on.

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
when you engage the e-brake the dash light should come on so your post is a bit backwards.
when you released it did the light go out and then all 3 came on?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I released the E-brake the brake light on the dash went out. Then all 3 lights came on about 10 seconds after.
I had the car diagnosed and they told me the ABS computer module has a short in it somewhere and needs to be replaced to get rid of the lights.
He said brakes will work normally but if I have an emergency stop the ABS system won’t work.

· Registered
934 Posts
So you posted 4 hours ago that you experienced this problem, and 3 hours later you not only got it to a shop but they've also diagnosed it that quickly as a faulty ABS module? Those are NOT cheap to replace.

This all seems fishy to me...there are some comparatively simple things that can fail that will cause those lights to all pop on. At the very least if the Check Engine light is on go to a place like AutoZone/Advance Auto/etc. and have them scan the error codes for free. Post what codes come up.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you posted 4 hours ago that you experienced this problem, and 3 hours later you not only got it to a shop but they've also diagnosed it that quickly as a faulty ABS module? Those are NOT cheap to replace.

This all seems fishy to me...there are some comparatively simple things that can fail that will cause those lights to all pop on. At the very least if the Check Engine light is on go to a place like AutoZone/Advance Auto/etc. and have them scan the error codes for free. Post what codes come up.
Yes. I took it to PEPBOYS AUTO in Clermont Florida. They hooked it up to their diagnostic machine and told me the ABS module is showing that it has a short in it somewhere.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I’m just checking out a company in Idaho that rebuilds ABS modules for $150.00 with a 5 day turnaround.
So here is more information. The Code from PEPBOYS is C2200. I called Module Masters in Idaho and they told me with that code they can rebuild my module. $250.00 plus I pay for shipping both ways (5yr warranty on their work).
5 business days to have rebuilt before shipping back. Seeing as it’s the same module it will not need to be reprogrammed in any way.

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
I had an intermittent phase of the lights coming on occasionally, like an ice warning or slipping worn tires. there was wear in the track rods, LCA and anti-roll drop links.
Having replaced all that and bought new tires with the tracking reset the lights stayed on. Reading the handbook it advises driving over 50 miles at over 30 mph to allow the system to reset.
I did not manage that but for the inspection the mechanic recalibrated the ABS sensors using an OBD tool and the lights are off.

I still have to replace the inner tie rods which have some play (involves tracking again).
Dodge only lists the entire steering rack assembly, the inner rods are about $30.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get'r done!

Send us pics!

🤞👍💪
One question. When I remove the ABS module and send out for repair can I tape plastic over the back block or will it leak brake fluid at this location. Just wondering because if my brakes work normal without the ABS module working properly can I drive for the duration that my module is away for repair.

· Registered
601 Posts
I wouldn't do anything until you have that [correct] replacement part in your hands ready to install.

The ABS is kinda important, and your insurance, and an accident attorney will agree.

If you drive, with parts missing from the car, and you get into an accident for whatever reason, and an accident investigator finds that you removed the ABS system...

That will be their entire case against you, and you will lose.

Safety first!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't do anything until you have that [correct] replacement part in your hands ready to install.

The ABS is kinda important, and your insurance, and an accident attorney will agree.

If you drive, with parts missing from the car, and you get into an accident for whatever reason, and an accident investigator finds that you removed the ABS system...

That will be their entire case against you, and you will lose.

Safety first!
Good Heads up. Thanks

· Registered
934 Posts
Something in the back of my mind tells me that you might need to use a dealer scan tool when reinstalling the ABS module to initialize/program it...something to look into. I also seem to recall that bleeding the ABS system is a huge pain...

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Something in the back of my mind tells me that you might need to use a dealer scan tool when reinstalling the ABS module to initialize/program it...something to look into. I also seem to recall that bleeding the ABS system is a huge pain...
I believe because I’ll be using the same module, just sending in to be repaired, the coding is already set up for my car. Only if you use a used module from a different vehicle does need to be rescanned. As far as bleeding the brakes, this only has to be done if the back block where the brakes lines are connected are removed if one was to replace the whole system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts