1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you want the best, JL C series are some of the top ones out there but you'll pay for the quality. Step down from that would be Memphis MClass series. I had 4 of those in my Envoy hooked up to a 50x4 amp and the highs sounded amazing.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Best 6x9's?

Focal 690 CA1

If you REALLY want sound quality, you would do 6.5 inch components in the front, and either a mid bass driver in the rear doors, or full range.

The best 6.5 component set ive heard would be the Focal 165 KRX3, which will cost you about 2k for the pair.

Now, best bang for your buck? I put mb quart speakers in my car, and love them. Its all personal preference when you boil things down. Retail cost on the Mb's i bought was right around 4-500 bucks, i got them on clearance for about 110 shipped(for a front component set, and rear 6x9's.)

Also, 150 bucks for a pair of speakers is honestly cheap, especially if you are paying retail. I can say though, that the speakers you linked to are garbage.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Would the component tweeters mount in the factory tweeter location?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
As you can see, speaker evaluation is very subjective.
Frequency response, dispersion, distortion, etc. don't really matter.
What matters is how pleasing the sound is to you.

I replaced my stock speakers with Pioneer 3 way 6x9's and I'm more than happy with the results - they were about $100.00 a pair - a good price for the improvement in sound quality that I perceive.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Most people won't ever be able to hear the difference between a one hundred dollar pair of speakers and a five hundred dollar pair. You'll just pay more for name brand stuff. Ask an audiologist.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Truth is I don't know much about sound systems. Although those speakers sound like they would be great I am just thinking of replacing the stock speakers and keeping all of the other stock stuff. I don't need to get into amps and subs and tweeters and what not. I just want something that sounds less hollow.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Most people won't ever be able to hear the difference between a one hundred dollar pair of speakers and a five hundred dollar pair. You'll just pay more for name brand stuff. Ask an audiologist.
I can tell a difference, but its not just speakers that make the difference, its the source the signal going to them as well. Sure, speakers will help, but having a radio that you can properly tune to gain better sound quality is the other portion.

Truth is I don't know much about sound systems. Although those speakers sound like they would be great I am just thinking of replacing the stock speakers and keeping all of the other stock stuff. I don't need to get into amps and subs and tweeters and what not. I just want something that sounds less hollow.
How much are you wanting to spend to replace all four speakers? Do you want to replace the radio as well?

Heres the thing. Door speakers really arent meant to hit lower frequencies. Pretty much anything lower than 80-60hz going to door speakers is pointless, as they cant properly re-produce that low of a frequency. That is why people add subwoofers. Even a small, 1-200 watt RMS sub is enough to get a full range of sound without blowing the doors off.

The factory radio has three adjustments, bass, middle, and treble. The factory radio DOESNT have any kind of filtering, or fine tuning. Aftermarket radios(at least decent to good ones) have more options for dialing in sound, as well as filtering out those low frequencies that can actually harm speakers.

If you are looking to JUST replace the speakers, you will notice SOME difference, but not a whole lot. You also have to remember that the factory radio only puts out about 5-10 watts RMS per channel(the amount of power going to each speaker.) Most aftermarket speakers have an RMS rating of 30-40 watts, some going up to 100+ RMS.

Yes, you can use the factory radio, and it will be fine. In that case, if you want to stick with the factory radio, you need to find an efficient speaker(most of the time, you will want a higher sensitivity rating.)

Here are a few options that i would recommend, of course, its going to depend on how much YOU want to spend on speakers.

Alpine Type S(decent speaker, lacks midbass in my opinion, very bright sounding speaker)

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_18866_Alpine_SPS-609.aspx

MB Quart FTB(these are my back speakers and i like them so far)

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_27724_MB_Quart_FTB169.aspx

Pioneer Ts-A6972R(pioneers to me have always sound muffled and muddy, lacking high range sound)

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_17418_Pioneer_TS-A6972R.aspx

Rockford Fosgate R1693(always been a fan of rockford, never had a problem with any of their products)

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_21404_Rockford_Fosgate_R1693.aspx

Those are some sub $100 speaker suggestions. I personally have the MB's and love them(i have their components in the front obviously). Like i said, all personal preference.

The one thing i will say though, is that you wont notice that much of a difference until you replace the radio, and get something with a little more power, and better tuning options.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_17418_Pioneer_TS-A6972R.aspx

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts