Dodge Caliber Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
All petrol Calibers have the same size.
The diesel has a larger battery but don't know about the trays.

The Case sizes may be the same but the code reference may be different.

The Battery Council International (BCI) maintains the standards and specifications for North American battery manufacturers. In Asia, manufacturers conform to the Japanese JIS standard, while Europe adheres to the EN, IKC, Italian CEI, and German DIN specifications.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
alpha-batteries.co.uk/brands/optima-batteries

Just ordered a Red Top for next day at £149

AGMs almost run to that.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
4 years later battery time again. ALL DIMENSIONS METRIC MILLIMETERS.

Optima 4.2 is still around the same price

Optima has always come with a 2 year warranty whereas other AGMs come with a 4 or 5 year warranty.
Some listings now show Optima with a 4 year warranty.

Optima themselves say its a 3 year warranty plus an extra year if purchased direct with their charger.

I barely used mine for two years because the fault turned out to be wiring loom and I reinstalled the Mopar.

The recommended battery for the Caliber CRD is Optima Red Top RT S 4.2 (model 8002-250, part 802 250 0008882)
50 Ah 815 CCA dimensions 256l x 174w x 200h
The MOPAR version is MPS24 0509 3074 AA 48 Ah 800 CCA

The petrol Caliber recommends Optima Red Top RT s 3.7 (model 8020-255) 44 Ah 730 CCA 237l x 171w x 197h

The battery tray fitted to the Caliber CRD is Mopar 05115730AA. If you lift out the battery you will see the part number and manufacturing date embossed in the base. It might be the same one for petrol models.

Taking this tray out (5 bolts) for accurate measurement the base accommodates 252 lengthways and the width grip hold downs will take 170-180w. The advice from battery suppliers is always measure your existing battery and not follow their 'suggested' fitments.

The height from the fitted tray base to the front frame is 230, however the diesel air intake curves down reducing the height to 205 at the rear.

The height is the battery case, the terminals are either side of the intake so can be higher like on the Optima.

The Optima terminals are central with the wiring routed from the rear. The recommended alternates with +ve on the left have terminals at the front. It would seem just as reasonable to connect the terminals at the rear for the wiring loom.
There is a wider selection with +ve on the right, just fitted reversed so the label is upside down.

For petrol Calibers the suggested alternate is 005R 230l x 170w x 225h 60Ah 540 CCA
reversing a 005L boosts this to 65 Ah 580CCA.
Note the additional height compared to OPTIMA.

Back to Diesel. The suggested fitments by Car Parts suppliers are all different lengths
Tayna 096R is 278l
EuroCarParts 017 is 353l
GSF 086 is 278l
Exide Spiral EP450 is 260l x 172w x 205h 50Ah 750CCA

If you have fitted any battery other than Optima please post your experience of fit and performance.

Considering modifying the tray (for length) cutting off the electronics mount would seem the only option. There is not much room, the box would need remounting or zip tie.

For diesel within the tray constraints 252lx180wx205h the largest battery box I could find is 027 242l x 175w x 190h.
Of the 027 batteries the best performance using rear terminals is Exide Premium (Calcium) 4yr warranty 64 Ah 640 CCA EA640 027TE. The supplier said they could not give the warranty if used in the Caliber as it's not the recommended application. Other AGM 027s are available (Exide/Bosch/Varta) for twice the price that give 680CCA so could work but again questions about the warranty.

The specified Optima costs a third more. I'd better get my 4 years from it !

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
For those who like to research these threads before going to the vehicle and want to know which tools to take there's this:

Battery leads are tightened on with 8mm nuts.

The battery hold down is a 14mm bolt at the base which needs a 12" extension.

If taking out the tray for any reason it is 5 x 13mm bolts and nut.

·
Registered
2007 caliber
5 Posts
4 years later battery time again. ALL DIMENSIONS METRIC MILLIMETERS.

Optima 4.2 is still around the same price

Optima has always come with a 2 year warranty whereas other AGMs come with a 4 or 5 year warranty.
Some listings now show Optima with a 4 year warranty.

Optima themselves say its a 3 year warranty plus an extra year if purchased direct with their charger.

I barely used mine for two years because the fault turned out to be wiring loom and I reinstalled the Mopar.

The recommended battery for the Caliber CRD is Optima Red Top RT S 4.2 (model 8002-250, part 802 250 0008882)
50 Ah 815 CCA dimensions 256l x 174w x 200h
The MOPAR version is MPS24 0509 3074 AA 48 Ah 800 CCA

The petrol Caliber recommends Optima Red Top RT s 3.7 (model 8020-255) 44 Ah 730 CCA 237l x 171w x 197h

The battery tray fitted to the Caliber CRD is Mopar 05115730AA. If you lift out the battery you will see the part number and manufacturing date embossed in the base. It might be the same one for petrol models.

Taking this tray out (5 bolts) for accurate measurement the base accommodates 252 lengthways and the width grip hold downs will take 170-180w. The advice from battery suppliers is always measure your existing battery and not follow their 'suggested' fitments.

The height from the fitted tray base to the front frame is 230, however the diesel air intake curves down reducing the height to 205 at the rear.

The height is the battery case, the terminals are either side of the intake so can be higher like on the Optima.

The Optima terminals are central with the wiring routed from the rear. The recommended alternates with +ve on the left have terminals at the front. It would seem just as reasonable to connect the terminals at the rear for the wiring loom.
There is a wider selection with +ve on the right, just fitted reversed so the label is upside down.

For petrol Calibers the suggested alternate is 005R 230l x 170w x 225h 60Ah 540 CCA
reversing a 005L boosts this to 65 Ah 580CCA.
Note the additional height compared to OPTIMA.

Back to Diesel. The suggested fitments by Car Parts suppliers are all different lengths
Tayna 096R is 278l
EuroCarParts 017 is 353l
GSF 086 is 278l
Exide Spiral EP450 is 260l x 172w x 205h 50Ah 750CCA

If you have fitted any battery other than Optima please post your experience of fit and performance.

Considering modifying the tray (for length) cutting off the electronics mount would seem the only option. There is not much room, the box would need remounting or zip tie.

For diesel within the tray constraints 252lx180wx205h the largest battery box I could find is 027 242l x 175w x 190h.
Of the 027 batteries the best performance using rear terminals is Exide Premium (Calcium) 4yr warranty 64 Ah 640 CCA EA640 027TE. The supplier said they could not give the warranty if used in the Caliber as it's not the recommended application. Other AGM 027s are available (Exide/Bosch/Varta) for twice the price that give 680CCA so could work but again questions about the warranty.

The specified Optima costs a third more. I'd better get my 4 years from it !
Good to read this post, I am a newbie from Australia, I was thinking my battery tray had shrunk or we got the small version down under, correct I should have measured the tray itself, but I did not now I have a exide 750cca that’s 277mm long and the tray is nearly 250mm, has anyone modified the trays, I have customised the batter tray on my 4x4 to fit a duel batt system, but there was more room, cheers Gary

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No mods I have heard of, I gave up trying and went back to the Optima - especially when the prices came down.

·
Registered
2007 caliber
5 Posts
No mods I have heard of, I gave up trying and went back to the Optima - especially when the prices came down.
Thanks Aleks, just noticed this post started nearly 10 yrs ago, anyway the caliber came with a small car battery that was more oval than square, so I looked around and found the Exide extreme XDIN66HDMF 750 cca with 42 months warranty for $200 AU, from Bunnings, bet you did not know they sold battery’s and $50 cheaper than the auto stores, this is the battery recommended for the VW turbo diesel.
So I needed to lengthen the tray by 2.5 cm, With a hacksaw I cut it across in front the bolt hole for the battery clamp, keeping all the original mounting points for the tray, then used some corner and strait brackets bought from Aldi, used rivets with some tin on the the other side to stop the rivet from pulling thru the plastic tray, the electrical box still fits on the front of the tray, after undoing the four bolts on the box I found it has 3 clips, I need to find a manual!! The positive lead just reached, if the terminals were on the other side it would be a perfect fit. Painted the new bits black, not that you can see it anyway, the battery fits perfectly, 2/3 of the battery sits on the rear of the tray so no problems with it being strong and secure, cheers Gary

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Some photos would be of help to other members.

The manual is in the knowledge base, would not help for this job but worth having.

INSTALLATION
1. Place the battery tray (3) into the engine compartment over the left frame rail (4).
2. Install the one nut (2) and four bolts (1) securing the battery tray (3) to the frame rail (4).
3. Tighten the nut to 10.5 N·m (93 in. lbs.).
4. Tighten the bolts to 1.5 N·m (93 in. lbs.).
5. Install the battery (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/BATTERY SYSTEM/BATTERY - INSTALLATION).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is anyone using a deep cycle, lifepo4 or lithium ion battery in their caliber?
I'll be upgrading to this battery for my Caliber soon:

Less than 3 pounds!!

It has plenty of CCA for my car, all of the electricity draining accessories have been ripped out, and the battery is normally fully disconnected when the car is off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Weight reduction for a race?

Why not remove the battery completely? Jump start it, then just let the alternator handle the electrics.

Maybe a lone solar panel on the roof/hood?

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just about to order this
EXIDE EK508 Start Top AGM 12V 50AH 800A

Item Weight10 Kilograms
Item dimensions L x W x H26 x 17.3 x 20.6 centimetres
Capacity - 50 Ah
Cold Cranking Amp - 800 CCA

It's almost half the weight.
Same size as the Optima 4.2 with 10 fewer CCA, comes with 36 month warranty compared to 24 (or12). Plus cheaper.
Always had good experience with Exide, Optima always problematic which may be the Caliber's fault.
Also ordered a remote Battery Cut off for the IOD power drain.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Weight reduction for a race?

Why not remove the battery completely? Jump start it, then just let the alternator handle the electrics.

Maybe a lone solar panel on the roof/hood?
I confirmed that the car runs fine and will turn laps no problem without a battery, but we need to be able to restart on the track if the engine dies...so we need some sort of battery.

I figure a small lipo motorcycle battery will be more than enough.

We came in 2nd place last time, so I'm looking for every edge we can get to improve our lap times.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another issue with this: we have to turn off the engine and hit our battery disconnect switch when we come into the pit lane for fueling. The rules of our series do not allow any "work" to be done on the car in the pit lane other than fueling and driver changes, so we could not jump start the car after fueling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like fun. I HAVE power draining accessories. 1000w rms amplifier. I'm thinking about an optima yellow top because I already have an optima red top in it just curious if there is something with higher capacity maybe deep cycle with the same post config.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Attention zZ shoppers. just when you find one alternate another shows up.

Just 2 year warranty this time ( and I bet it's made in the same plant).

ENDUROLINE EC800 AGM BATTERY 50AH 800A
BrandEnduroline
Voltage12 Volts
TechnologyAGM
Capacity (C20)50 Ah
CCA (EN)800 A
Length260 mm
Width173 mm
Height inc. terms206 mm
Guarantee2 Years
Barcode (EAN)5060518623318

Same price so no reason to choose this over the Exide.

Also there is a Marine version what is that ?

EM1000 EXIDE MAXXIMA AGM BATTERY MAX900
BrandExide
Voltage12 Volts
TechnologyAGM
Capacity (C20)50 Ah
CCA (EN)800 A
Length260 mm
Width173 mm
Height inc. terms206 mm
Guarantee2 Years
Barcode (EAN)3661024036023

cheapest of the lot but what are these terminals? In-built cut-offs maybe.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Haven't seen the twin terminals like that before - must be for marine and plant applications

Maxxima/Orbital BLACK ETN 1 SAE M 3/8"- 5/16" taper&stud

21 - 40 of 44 Posts