Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 UPDATE _ I STARTED THIS THREAD BASED ON A SURVEY OF SUPPLIER RECOMMENDATIONS. THE ADVISED 278mm LENGTHS DID NOT FIT MY CALIBER BATTERY TRAY.

The Diesel Chryslers come with Gel spiral cell batteries, some 800 CCA.

They are pricey and do not have a long life.

The Caliber Battery tray has a B13 bolt base hold down

Dimensions are 278mm length 175mm width 190mm height

MOPAR part 05093074AA 48AH 800CCA

OPTIMA Red Top Spiral Gel 04868999ED 2 year warranty £236 50AH 815CCA (254x173x198) RTU 4.2 8004-250

VARTA AGM Ultra (type 096) E39 5 year warranty £115 70AH 760 CCA (278x175x190)
DIN: 570 901 076 ETN Number: 57001

Bosch S6001/S6008 096 AGM 6 Years Guarantee £124 70AH 760CCA (278x175x190)
Short Code: S6001 BOSCH DIN: 570 901 076

Exide EK700 AGM 4 Year Warranty £134 70AH 760CCA (278x175x190)

Lucas Fusion AGM 096 5 Year Warranty £155 70ah 720cca (278x175x190)
Product Code: 12VT83

AtlasBX AGM AX 570 760 5 year warranty £125 70AH 760CCA (275x174x190)

YUASA AGM 096 4 year warranty £155 70AH 760CCA (278x175x190)
Spec CARYUAF096VW244

Moura 096 Agm £125 70ah (278x175x190)

GS Titan
AGM 096 £131 70AH 760CCA (278x175x190)

FISCHV11 AGM 096 570 901 076 H6/L3 E39 4 year warranty £220 70AH 760CCA (278x175x190)
Product ID:W1974400

EnerSys Odyssey 34R PC1500 AGM Battery £266 68Ah 880CCA (276 x 172 x 199)

BANNER 096 AGM Running Bull (57001) 3 year warranty £148 72AH 760CCA (278x175x190)

067TE, XP07, 570901, E39, E44, 577400078, Delphi, S75AL, E11, E38,067, 570 901 076, H6/L3 E39

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
If the CCA is sufficient, I'd go for the longest warranty.

After doing some research for replacing/upgrading my battery, I've found several from each of the North American auto supply chain stores. These batteries are sealed wet cell types rather than gel cell.

From what I've seen, they are pricey, but much less costly than the Optima.
They have the same or greater CCA, and up to 84 month warranties, with free replacement for the first 36.

In spite of my first impression of the Optima, I believe there are better, more cost-effective solutions available.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Agreed Dave and the two year Optima warranty supports that.

The Spiral Cell design was a leader ten years ago but battery technology has moved on and the electrical demands of modern vehicles has been increasing.

My preference as a substitute for the Optima Red Top is one of the latest Absorbent Glass Mat designs with a 5 year warranty. The VARTA E39 offers 760CCA compared to the 800 of the Optima.4

The Korean AtlasBX AGM AX 570 760 is similar.

The Optima has centrally positioned A posts so it is reversible. Most others have their posts at the Front or Back. Looking at my wiring harness it looks easier to relocate the connections to the back rather than the front.

I will complete a selection list on that basis.

Having said all that my Mopar / Optima has been on continuous charge for 8 days and has now shown signs of retaining a full charge. I will run it through the summer and test it again at the start of winter. If it will still recharge then I will risk running it for a fourth year which would be fair value for the customer dollar.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johnson Controls Varta AGM Batteries

Engineered for extreme power demands

AGM battery technology from Varta provides reliable starting whilst coping with the extreme power needs of the modern vehicle. Thanks to its advanced battery technology, this smaller, ligher and allround more efficient battery package packs a powerful punch. Boasting three times the cyclic durability of a conventional technology battery, and able to deliver an unprecendented energy throughput even in the most demanding conditions, the VARTA AGM battery outperforms all others offering a significantly increased service life.

The science of AGM

The AGM battery owes its success to its Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM). The mat absorbs the battery’s acid, enabling a more efficient use of the cell’s volume to allow a threefold increase in the battery’s cold start capacity, as well as extreme resistance against vibration. The battery is totally sealed, completely leak-proof and absolutely maintenancefree. This means fitment flexibility for the installer, and – with its enhanced performance and added safety – total peace of mind for the driver.

Benefits at a glance

New AGM technology: Improved efficiency of active mass, through better absorption of acid. Minimal shedding of the material from the battery plates, resulting in significantly increased lifespan.
Extreme cyclic durability: Higher energy throughput. Three times the cyclic durability of conventional technology batteries.
Higher cold start values: Superior starting, even at lower temperatures.
Longer life span: Battery does not “age” in the same way as conventional technology batteries.
Totally spill- and leak-proof: Complete fitment flexibility and safety.
Absolutely maintenance-free: Zero water consumption. Up to 18 months´ shelf life.

http://www.barden-uk.com/PDFs/VARTA Catalogue 2008_2009.pdf

EnerSys Odyssey AGM Battery Range

Features:

- Fully absorbed electrolyte – will not leak
- Sealed construction – no maintenance
- Can be fitted upright or on side
- High cranking ability
- Ideal for use where space is limited
- Fast recharge
- Low self discharge

Using Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology and pure lead plates the Odyssey battery range gives unparalleled and consistent power delivery. Having a low internal resistance means the battery can be charged quickly and release its energy quickly.

http://www.barden-uk.com/PDFs/Odyssey_Brochure.pdf

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Considering your car is an '07 and it is now 12, and you have to crank a high compression Diesel engine - don't waste your time and effort on trying to rejuvenate the old battery, go out and get one of the more modern, long warranty ones.

Yes - even just a couple of years ago, the "spiral cell" batteries were "the cat's meow" and "state of the art" but, technology marches on...

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's my third battery since 07, all under warranty!

The digital charger is now showing full charge, just taking longer to get there.
I carry the heavy duty jump leads now, any more trouble and I know which AGM to go for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's a lot of CCA for a small car! If cold winter isn't a problem (think getting stranded in the car), and you don't run a half a dozen 12V coolers in the back, then a 450-550CCA battery is all you'll need.

I will say that I went from a 750CCA in my truck, down to a 725CCA and it's not only smaller but weighs 8lbs less.

Odyssey does make some awesome batteries, too bad they're well over double the price here over standard lead acid.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's a lot of CCA for a small car! If cold winter isn't a problem (think getting stranded in the car), and you don't run a half a dozen 12V coolers in the back, then a 450-550CCA battery is all you'll need.

I will say that I went from a 750CCA in my truck, down to a 725CCA and it's not only smaller but weighs 8lbs less.

Odyssey does make some awesome batteries, too bad they're well over double the price here over standard lead acid.
This discussion is in the diesel area. 800CCA is the standard.

However all Caliber have experienced high battery loads and failures.
A long warranty is advised and a good CCA rating.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
The highest CCA in the car's case size and longest warranty are good things.
Yes it costs more, but why chance being stranded?

I'm going to replace my three year old OEM battery this fall, even though recent tests show that its CCA is still in spec, and it does not seem weak in the least. Most batteries I've had in previous cars got "terminally ill" after the three year point, so I'm going to do a little "preventive medicine".

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Tomasz, just take your battery with you where ever you purchase them and compare with what's available.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've heard also that the battery for the CRD should be a "shorter" model, so the normal batteries won't fit.

For example this one should fit ok: Varta BLUE dynamic 60Ah (Art.-Nr.: 560 127 054 313 2) (Kurzbez.: D43)

Is any other CRD driver having experience with other batteries? (Also regarding the size)

Please let me know!

Thank you!

BR

Refik

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You cannot go too high because of the intake

Dimensions are 278mm length 175mm width 190mm height

for the diesel I would choose the most capacity within these dimensions.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Isn't the Optima Red Top the OEM battery for a CRD?
Remember a Diesel engine has a far higher compression ratio than a gas engine, and usually needs "glow plugs" to get the air in the cylinders hot enough during starting.
This usually requires a very high CCA capacity.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it was and MOPAR later branded it themselves.
However the spiral cells were expensive and the newer Absorbent Glass Mat designs comes with a 5 year warranty for less money for almost the same level of performance

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Not doubting newer technology, just stating what I believe to be the most important characteristic for a Diesel engine starting battery - CCA.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I shopped Optima Red came with a 2 year guarantee and cost double.
No longer competitive to my mind.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
When I shopped Optima Red came with a 2 year guarantee and cost double.
No longer competitive to my mind.
Agreed - As compared to what's out there - the Optima is overpriced and under-guaranteed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi ALL!

Thanks for the reply!

I was more curious not because of the height, but because of the lenght of the battery..

I also agree that the optima red is actually really expensive.. I just had the concern that the maximum battery lenght should be max 242mm..

But if also the batteries up to 27cm fit then I'm fine..

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Caliber has a bolt mounting in the middle so the base / case type is important.

I don't think I remember any length obstruction just the cables being routed around it.

Easy enough to measure when you have yours out.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
In the US, the battery size for the Caliber is a "BCI 86" case size. Don't know if the same size rating system exists in the UK or Europe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts