Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm Jamie I have a 2010 Dodge Caliber 2.0 L SXT 4-cylinder. When I got my car the battery had corrosion and stuff all on it and I cleaned it off and I figured I'm going to go get a new battery right I go to Walmart and they look it up cuz they're all in a cage here at the Walmart in Union City California and I think they gave me a wrong battery it's a maintenance-free battery I paid $100 on it. it's too small it doesn't even fit the size of the compartment where the battery fits but this is the battery that they gave me and I've been running with it for like almost a year. I'm trying to get my car started right now and it's parked somewhere where it can't really be and I'm just curious what kind of battery my car should have. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
The guys at Walmart use the same data as anywhere else on the web

Check Firestone example

As long at it fits within the dimensions, is held down by the bolt fixing and has the terminals in the right configuration then it just needs enough power - 525CCA or more for more $.

Reactions: jamie.rae415

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello good.
If it fits in the compartment and has a high amperage, at least 50AH will be more than enough. The Origin is Gel with 50AH but has a cold cranking rating of 800CCA.
I currently have a 75Ah and 550CCA in a Caliber Diesel, it is the 2nd one that I ride and it is very good. The original one lasted 5 years. And the second non-original 8 years.
All the best.
The Original one is a $300 Optima and the one I currently have is a $100 Varta and it works very well.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
I currently have is a $100 Varta and it works very well.
The OP has a petrol model with much lower power requirements.

Care to share though, which VARTA?

Reactions: jamie.rae415

·
Registered
847 Posts
All car batteries have a "group" number...basically it's a numerical identifier that specifies the physical size and terminal layout of a battery. Using the right group number battery ensures that it'll physically fit correctly in your vehicle.

The correct group number for a Caliber is 86.

That being said, all car batteries are 12V so as long as the battery they gave you has enough cold cranking amps (CCA) your car should run okay with it, even if it isn't quite the right physical size. Like Alexs said, 525CCA is the minimum you'll want for a Caliber. You can buy group 86 batteries with higher CCA numbers but honestly since you're in California spending more for something like a 650CCA battery is probably a waste of money. It's those of us who live in cold winter climates that can benefit from the higher CCA batteries.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello good,
I have already stated that my vehicle is a diesel and therefore needs more AH. In a gasoline vehicle, 50 to 60AH is enough. It is important to respect the polarity of the cables in the car or the cables will not arrive. In the "Optima" of Gel the terminals are centered and there is not much inconvenience.

All the best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello good.
If it fits in the compartment and has a high amperage, at least 50AH will be more than enough. The Origin is Gel with 50AH but has a cold cranking rating of 800CCA.
I currently have a 75Ah and 550CCA in a Caliber Diesel, it is the 2nd one that I ride and it is very good. The original one lasted 5 years. And the second non-original 8 years.
All the best.
The Original one is a $300 Optima and the one I currently have is a $100 Varta and it works very well.
Cheers
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts