Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem and Im not sure what to do. Im having trouble finding a thread this morning and starting to get a bit frantic...I may just not be looking in the right places but hoping for a simple solution...here goes

The battery is dead on our Caliber from sitting for a bit..auto lock/unlock wont work obviously and the key wont turn in the door. We live in MN and we were below 0 over the weekend and i wasnt able to get to it to try to figure it out before now but could this be a iced lock situation or does the car lock itself all up when the battery dies?...I cant open the hood to jump start or anything...plsss help me I need to get it moved before it gets towed. Got a parking ticket last thursday and Ive been trying to keep the meter feed at least once a day and with handicap sticker it should be good for 24 hours but I cant afford it to be towed if they feel the need to. Pls help asap if you know a solution...

Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sounds to me the lock is frozen. I would run to a parts store or wal mart and grab some of that lock deicer.

I have never needed it but my fiancée swares by it. Either that or go get some good alcohol and do it that way lol. Try the key in different ways don’t try to force it be gentle rock it back and forth if you have to try and loosen things up with time. If you have a second key try it.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
You need to get some "lock de-icer" (available at most auto stores)to allow you to use the key to get in. This stuff will melt the ice in the keyhole and also any in the lock mechanism. Then you should be able to get in, open the hood and get a jump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have tried both sets of keys...it warmed up some yesterday but still no luck...I am off to the auto parts store tday to get some as a last effort. Im not sure what else to do.
I was wondering if there were chip issues if your battery is dead for a while and such.
Ive never had a problem like this with it or other cars before and it kinda bothers me that only the drivers door has even a keyhole to work with. Idk I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses and if it doesnt work I'll be back later. Moms car is parked next spot up and have had no probs...not sure why this one has to but kinda the way my luck goes

·
Registered
714 Posts
The chip in the key does nothing for the door locks only the ignition. If it doesn’t unlock all I can suggest is time and more lock deicer be patient in time you will get it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
An old trick that seemed to work quite well was to heat the key up a bit then sit it in the lock for about ten seconds to free up the tumblers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have exactly same issue.. I was replacing battery but needed more tools so I closed the car.. Now the key won't open the door, its -10°C and I tried to heatup the key with a lighter for a while but it seems nothing works. i also tried both keys...
I'll try to get some de-ice or alcohol

Edit: Hand desinfection in the key worked (70 alc) and I managed...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts