Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that there are a few people out there that are creative, so I thought that I'd put a word out there for some ideas for people to add in for how to retrofit an Aux In jack on the Calibers.

I purchased the Dodge iPod Integration kit that came with both the adaptor for the iPod and for a 3.5mm stereo input with the factory REF stereo that came with the car, so an Aux In jack was never an issue for me. However, when you go to the RAQ 6 disc changer, it's a different story...

And of course there isn't an Aux In on the front of it anymore :(

And so came the creative out of me... A friend of mine and myself were figuring out the best spot to put the Aux In jack that I pulled from a 2009 Ford F150. The jack itself was in a panel above the ashtray on the truck and had it's own mounting on it. I thought of retrofitting it with the panel from Ford, however I didn't so much like that idea... So my friend and I thought of installing it into the panel with the hazard lights on it. The panel had a blank spot at the end on the right where the heated seat switch would normally be at.

Step by step, assuming you know how to rip the panel apart was to pop the right side of the cover off the hazard light assembly, carve out the cavity for the switch to hold the Aux In jack plug, drill out a hole for the wire to come through, drill a hole in the panel after measuring where to drill the hole, take a computer sound card wire and splice it into a stereo 3.5mm jack plug, and plug it into the existing iPod integration kit 3.5mm stereo plug. The final result... An almost factory look :)

The rest of the factory iPod kit was fed under the centre console and now comes up inside of the centre console. I did do a retrofit to have it come out of the iPod holder, however it ended up breaking a part of the cable :( so I ended up putting it back to sit loose in the centre console.

What else have others done for the iPod kit and Aux In jack retrofits?

·
Super Squirrel
818 Posts
I had the same problem with the ipod holder. It destroyed my cable

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
What else have others done for the iPod kit and Aux In jack retrofits?
I have the 6CD so I can put 600 MP3s in there. But on another car I used an FM modulator on the antenna input with a splitter, one to the MP3 player the other to the CD multichanger.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, is there a thread or sticky on this AUX Input install because I've been wanting to install an AUX Input jack in my car since I bought it but i'm not that smart. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's a very install. I have the BA premium sound with 6 disc changer and had the AUX input installed within 15 minutes. Just follow the guide to remove the bezel, unscrew the stereo unit and remove. Plug the unit into the SAT input, and there is a connector to plug SAT into the unit. Also grab a RCA to 3.5mm cord and run it up under the console how you wish. Replace and turn everything on.

If you want a dash mounted AUX input jack, there's a tutorial on here somewhere. I was going to do that but found it was easier and better to have the cord run under the console and out by my seat belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trying to get my Ipod to work with my radio.

Hello All,
I also have the same problem. I went to the Crutchfield website and checked it out. They have some kits that'll work but there is notice at the bottom saying that if you have Sirius radio that funtion will no longer work. Is there any way to keep Sirius and have an aux port? Thanks for posting all the great and really informative posts. This is a great forum.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hello All,
I also have the same problem. I went to the Crutchfield website and checked it out. They have some kits that'll work but there is notice at the bottom saying that if you have Sirius radio that funtion will no longer work. Is there any way to keep Sirius and have an aux port? Thanks for posting all the great and really informative posts. This is a great forum.
It's one or the other, you can't have both. Your only other option is to replace the radio with an aftermarket radio.

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
Is there any way to keep Sirius and have an aux port?
Depends upon your system. REF single disc only has one input available - used for the SAT radio.

If yours has a second input like gaming/dvd etc you can use that and keep the Satellite.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
For factory radios, you could also switch to the 6cd/cass/am/fm radio and use a cassette adapter like i did at one point.

When i upgraded to the mygig, i sued one of the aux inputs from the lockpick adapter for my aux in plug

·
Registered
33 Posts
hello everybody, i have REG single disc player, without aux in. how do i know if i have sat radio? i only have am/fm and cd on the front..

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
Specs can vary between Intl and US models.
To know for sure pull it out and see what sockets you do have.

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
If your head unit is not North American spec with a Sirius input to convert then you can use an FM modulator :
GENUINE CONNECTS2 PRODUCT

Dodge iPod iPhone FM Modulator Adaptor interface transforms the audio signal from your iPod/iPhone to CCIR standard Stereo FM radio signal and this enables the iPod to transmit sound through the car’s FM radio. Ideal for vehicles where no full iPod interface is available.

This interface adaptor connects at the back of the factory radio, and goes into the aerial socket. Simply remove the original aerial lead from the radio and connect to the silver interface box. Then plug the new aerial end back into the factory radio.

There is a single red wire which connects to a 12v power supply. This can be wired onto a switch or an ignition feed. It will also charge virtually all iPods / iPhones, the charging lead works with both 12v and 5v iPods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts