Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to dodge all together recently purchased 2011 Dodge Caliber trying to replace the factory radio because it was trash it is the non-touchscreen base model with satellite radio having trouble finding aftermarket wire harness and also having trouble finding the diagram that explains what wires do what for the radio any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
Find a Crutchfield adapter or look for a CANBUS head unit. Cheaper in the end and avoids a world of pain.

·
Registered
847 Posts
+1 on using Crutchfield as a reference for what you'll need.

There's another recent (like within the last week) thread where I posted the wiring diagrams for a 2007 Caliber's audio system for another member who's trying to replace their head unit.

One issue you'll find is that the head unit/audio features in the Caliber seem to be different in each model year. The one in my 2010 is different than the one used in a 2011 due to different hand-free functionality. Assess exactly what your current system can/can't do and replace it with an aftermarket unit + adapters appropriate for your car's setup

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank y'all for the info got it in and working I sure miss the old spark-o-matics
What did you end up going with, touchscreen double din? If you look in my gallery or the thred titled digital dash I have a pretty good writeup on installing a 10" touchscreen that comes with a factory looking trim from aliexpress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What did you end up going with, touchscreen double din? If you look in my gallery or the thred titled digital dash I have a pretty good writeup on installing a 10" touchscreen that comes with a factory looking trim from aliexpress.
I have a 2007 SXT with 6 disc CD radio unit with 9 speaker Boston Acoustics speaker system.

I wish to install a 2DIN multimedia touch screen product being sold via Aliexpress. They claim that it is a plug-and-play (they provide the harness). I am worried that the product may not run the subwoofer. Does anyone have any advice and/or experiences you can share. The product is very popular and sold by a number of vendors located throughout the site.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You need to make sure that you have an adapter for the built in amplifier in that case. I installed a HengCheng Pro s9 from AliExpress but I don't have Boston Acoustics, so it just used amplifier built into head unit. I have added a mono for aftermarket sub and 4 channel for speakers

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2007 SXT with 6 disc CD radio unit with 9 speaker Boston Acoustics speaker system.

I wish to install a 2DIN multimedia touch screen product being sold via Aliexpress. They claim that it is a plug-and-play (they provide the harness). I am worried that the product may not run the subwoofer. Does anyone have any advice and/or experiences you can share. The product is very popular and sold by a number of vendors located throughout the site.
Thank you for replying! I am looking at - 157.76US $ 32% OFF|DSP Car Intelligent Radio Multimedia Video Player For Dodge Caliber 2007 2010 Caliber Android Tesla Screen GPS Navigation Stereo|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

My concern is that the product will not correctly run the sub woofer. As it looks to me, it has no amp of its own, so I would think it will at the very, least run the door and dashboard speakers, but may not power up the dropdown and sub woofer units?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You need to make sure that you have an adapter for the built in amplifier in that case. I installed a HengCheng Pro s9 from AliExpress but I don't have Boston Acoustics, so it just used amplifier built into head unit. I have added a mono for aftermarket sub and 4 channel for speakers
This sounds like what I'm doing, only I do have the Boston system. How did the ordering and shipping work out? Did everything come as expected?

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can only speak for the unit I linked on factory non upgraded sound. I don't know anything about Boston acoustics except it has a factory amplifier. I would search "AliExpress android head unit factory amplifier" XDA developers forum has some good info as well. Good luck.
That unit is nearly Identical to mine except it claims android 11 and mine is 10.

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
My observations for you -
Any modifications by you to your vehicle are at your own risk and budget.
No one has documented an install of the Tesla style unit on this forum.
Our Forumz has helpful and experienced owners for moral support.
As there are numerous vendors you could reach out with a query and see who responds with the most helpful service.
Are you carrying out this project alone or do you have audio/electrical back up?

I have Boston Acoustics and your proposal is my favoured style for an upgrade.
The premium sound includes better installed speakers as well as the sub.
The tailgate speaker is not high quality. It was a novelty initially but I have been using mine less with time due to power drain.
There is no difference in the Mopar head units for the fitted speakers.
There are wiring diagrams in the service manual if you want to investigate.
My understanding is that the sub-amp in the trunk is powered from the Ant feed.
The sub and tail-gate audio seems to be from the speaker output.
At the moment this project has not been a priority for me other than as a nice fantasy item.
While my 6cd mp3 head unit operates normally I am still satisfied but would not hesitate if it began malfunctioning.
Today I would not buy a new PC with less than 16gbRam/512gbRom so similarly for a (phone) Android I would seek at least 6gb/64gb preferably 8gb/128gb and 8 core processor.
Android capabilities are developing faster than PCs, you might still be using a 5 year old laptop but few of us are using a 5 year old phone.
In the next couple of years I will be migrating to a 5G plan so intend to pair the head unit to my phone rather than have separate subscriptions.
Your choice was XY-TS150 2G 32G $186
Considering the labor of dismantling and upgrading and that MYGIGs sell for over $1500 with a useful life up to 5 years I consider the upgraded specs to be better value
RT9 (8G 128G) $454
RT6 (6G 128G) $434
RT5 (4G 64G) $367
T11 4G 4-64GB DSP $340

Caliburrn "my 6gb ram 128gb 8 core unit runs slow" in other words the extra $20 for +2gb is a no-brainer.

Overall I would consider this a low risk worthwhile upgrade. Factors for consideration are
Do you have Sirius?
What is your cell coverage like?
Back-up camera - I would go for the license plate version.
DVR - to incorporate cameras to the head unit or rely on stand alone recorder.
Parking/crawling 360 views option

·
Registered
847 Posts
I can't speak for the specific unit you're looking to install but whenever I have any questions about what kind of head unit will work in a car (and what kind of adapters I might need) I always visit Crutchfield's website to see what adapters THEY say I would need to make everything work. They've been around forever and know their stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My observations for you -
Any modifications by you to your vehicle are at your own risk and budget.
No one has documented an install of the Tesla style unit on this forum.
Our Forumz has helpful and experienced owners for moral support.
As there are numerous vendors you could reach out with a query and see who responds with the most helpful service.
Are you carrying out this project alone or do you have audio/electrical back up?

I have Boston Acoustics and your proposal is my favoured style for an upgrade.
The premium sound includes better installed speakers as well as the sub.
The tailgate speaker is not high quality. It was a novelty initially but I have been using mine less with time due to power drain.
There is no difference in the Mopar head units for the fitted speakers.
There are wiring diagrams in the service manual if you want to investigate.
My understanding is that the sub-amp in the trunk is powered from the Ant feed.
The sub and tail-gate audio seems to be from the speaker output.
At the moment this project has not been a priority for me other than as a nice fantasy item.
While my 6cd mp3 head unit operates normally I am still satisfied but would not hesitate if it began malfunctioning.
Today I would not buy a new PC with less than 16gbRam/512gbRom so similarly for a (phone) Android I would seek at least 6gb/64gb preferably 8gb/128gb and 8 core processor.
Android capabilities are developing faster than PCs, you might still be using a 5 year old laptop but few of us are using a 5 year old phone.
In the next couple of years I will be migrating to a 5G plan so intend to pair the head unit to my phone rather than have separate subscriptions.
Your choice was XY-TS150 2G 32G $186
Considering the labor of dismantling and upgrading and that MYGIGs sell for over $1500 with a useful life up to 5 years I consider the upgraded specs to be better value
RT9 (8G 128G) $454
RT6 (6G 128G) $434
RT5 (4G 64G) $367
T11 4G 4-64GB DSP $340

Caliburrn "my 6gb ram 128gb 8 core unit runs slow" in other words the extra $20 for +2gb is a no-brainer.

Overall I would consider this a low risk worthwhile upgrade. Factors for consideration are
Do you have Sirius?
What is your cell coverage like?
Back-up camera - I would go for the license plate version.
DVR - to incorporate cameras to the head unit or rely on stand alone recorder.
Parking/crawling 360 views option
Thank you for your very kind reply! This helps. When discussing with the vendor, they insist that their product comes with the CANBUS and will allow for the amp to switch on when the unit is powered up. I understand that this is also required to allow for the steering wheel functions to work? They do use the turm "plug and play" and provide a very large number of various vehicle makes and models to choose from. However, they do seem to struggle with just what a Boston Acoustics system involves, but it may be something lost in the translation? Anyway... it provides for both left and right, and sub, so hopefully all will work out for me!

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
Initially you seemed to be looking for a guarantee which we obviously cannot give you but several of us are confident.
These people make many units and incorporate global installs, also feedback would show any fitting complications.

The Boston Acoustics would be irrelevant, Premium Sound is higher quality and number of speakers with a multi-changer disc & mp3 player. The sub needs switchable power which is not unusual.

Steering controls is included.

You still have options to evaluate with the cameras, OBD11 - I will wire the port to a rear USB.
In Europe there is also an external DAB+ module (Sirius covers North America).

By Plug & Play they mean all required wiring, connections, and software is included even the GPS antenna.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello again! Would you have any advice as to running service wiring from the radio area at the dash, to the back of the lift gate? My primary concern is just how to safely detach the panels that service the door-rockers, or if I go trough the upper door areas (SAB locations), to do so without damaging the fasteners etc. My model is an SXT 2.0 Equipped with Boston Acoustics with drop-down speakers and sub-woofer. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
12,569 Posts
With fasteners just take your time. The screw covers in the A-pillar as an example are brittle and not available new.

I went ceiling by dropping the liner as I was including PVR behind the rear view mirror, and a reverse camera alongside the washer. If you are going into the tailgate you need to reach the hinge wiring grommets.

To get from the A posts to the console I just secured the wires in the top of the footwell.

Floor level did not seem viable for all the extra length and work involved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello friend, I now have a multimedia unit and will begin to install soon. If you can, would you have any tips as to wiring? Specifically; the power-harness wire-bundle has wires tagged as key1, key 2, brake,amp cont. Would I be correct to assume that they are there to accomidate other models etc? My Caliber has CANBUS to accommodate the steering wheel controls and sub woofer. I do understand that this is a longshot, but I just wanted to try anyway :- ) Cheers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts