Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Okay just bought a 2008 AWD R/T and am loving it. But question, I live in Alaska the land of snow and ice, does anyone think I will need studded tires or will the all wheel drive do just fine with out them? Any advise is helpful.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Studs can help in conditions that need them. AWD, FWD, RWD does not matter - ice is just as slippery no matter what drive system you have. And remember all cars have the same basic braking system.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Firstly welcome and do take time to introduce yourself and your ride in Newbies.

Calibers in Canada manage just fine with FWD and winter tires.
Just how far up the Ice Road are you planning to go?
With AWD and winter tires your off road abilities will be awesome.
Studded I would be looking at racing or crossing lakes!

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
We had some pretty good snowfall totals this past winter here in New Jersey, I had no trouble getting around in the snow. You could probably get away with a good all season tire, but if it concerns you, go with a snow tire when white stuff starts to hit the ground.:smileup:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hello!

Scenario 1:
1. Between 1991 and 2000 i lived in the mountains neer Quebec city (One Subaru Justy and one Saturn SL1 95). During my weekend trips, most of the roads were in gravel under the hard packed snow. I enjoyed 4 studded Nokian winter tires on the Saturn FWD sedan. It was easier to corner and i had a great grip to go up in altitude (I feel packed snow is like hard ice). Some friends had luck also with the silica enhanced tires; in example the Blizzacks (not studded & much quieter tires at low speed )

Scenario 2:
2. All my other driving with other cars were mostly on flat highways and country roads with pavement and on occasions, big snowstroms. The normal winter tires, like Pirellis, Goodyear Ultra (noisy!), Dunlops did good. They were not studded.

My 2 ¢

;) Francois

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Around here, some days I wish I had studs (they're only legal in the Northern tier of PA) during and after our numerous ice storms. even if it snows, many roads in southeastern PA turn to sheets of ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts