Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try adding a EVIC cluster to a non-EVIC equipped vehicle?
I've got an EVIC cluster with near the same milage as my own on its way, got it for a pretty decent price :p

I figure if it hasn't already been tried, ill be the first to confirm or dismiss it. I did a search and didnt find anyone else attempting it, just posts about the idea of doing so. And if it doesnt work i'll just put it back up on eBay.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey Dawm... it's me, the dummy. Can you explain what you are talking about? What is EVIC and what does it do?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Electronic Vehicle Information Centre---- Read all about it , in your HANDBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Dawm... it's me, the dummy. Can you explain what you are talking about? What is EVIC and what does it do?
Thanks
The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) features a driver-interactive display. The display is located in the lower part of the Fuel Level/Coolant Temp on the left side of the instrument cluster. This system conveniently allows the driver to select a variety of useful information by pressing the switches mounted on the center stack of the instrument panel. The EVIC displays information related to the following:

• [*]System Status

[*]Vehicle information warning message displays

[*]Tire Pressure Monitor System — If Equipped

[*]Personal Settings (customer programmable features)

[*]Compass display

[*]Outside temperature display

[*]Trip computer functions

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be nice Dawm to find out if its possible to do so. Is it easy to get behind the instrument panel?
I looked thru the FSM just to get an idea.. it requires the following to be removed (in the listed order)

A-pillars
dash top(the part closest to the windshield)
dash side pieces (the parts that are hidden when the door is closed)
the shifter bezel
the radio bezel
the main dash top
then you can get the cluster out.

hopefully i dont break anythign in the process, but ill keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Dawm I bought the same type as you and have been meaning to do this myself. Once you get time can you poss right a how-to because Im lost on tryin to get this dash apart. The manual sucks lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dawm I bought the same type as you and have been meaning to do this myself. Once you get time can you poss right a how-to because Im lost on tryin to get this dash apart. The manual sucks lol
good idea, ill take pictures =p

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) features a driver-interactive display. The display is located in the lower part of the Fuel Level/Coolant Temp on the left side of the instrument cluster. This system conveniently allows the driver to select a variety of useful information by pressing the switches mounted on the center stack of the instrument panel. The EVIC displays information related to the following:

• [*]System Status

[*]Vehicle information warning message displays

[*]Tire Pressure Monitor System — If Equipped

[*]Personal Settings (customer programmable features)

[*]Compass display

[*]Outside temperature display

[*]Trip computer functions
Gotcha! Thanks Dawm.

Electronic Vehicle Information Centre---- Read all about it , in your HANDBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If that's anything like instructions... then I'll probably never read it. Unless it's in the bathroom, that is! LOL!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'm eager to hear how this works out. I've heard conflicting reports on this swap, some say plug and play. Others say, no way. I personaly beleive it will be plug and play myself. It just makes more sence from an assembly line point of view, with the odometer being the biggest potential problem.
Good luck, we're all counting on you!:smileup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm eager to hear how this works out. I've heard conflicting reports on this swap, some say plug and play. Others say, no way. I personaly beleive it will be plug and play myself. It just makes more sence from an assembly line point of view, with the odometer being the biggest potential problem.
Good luck, we're all counting on you!:smileup:
yeah, its been back and forth if it will work but no one has actually done it (from my searching) so i figured why not. and if it doesnt work, i'm just out a few bucks and my time dismantling the dash. we'll have a dash removal howto and a final answer if the swap will work.

·
Administrator
10,855 Posts
yeah, its been back and forth if it will work but no one has actually done it (from my searching) so i figured why not. and if it doesnt work, i'm just out a few bucks and my time dismantling the dash. we'll have a dash removal howto and a final answer if the swap will work.
I would join in this upgrade, I'm curious how this will go.:D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FINALLY got my cluster yesterday, planning on maybe this weekend taking the dash apart and seeing if the EVIC cluster works in a NON-EVIC Equipped Caliber. The eBay idiot packed it in a small plastic bag (not big enough to cover it completely) and used shredded paper to package it.. so i have to completely take the thing apart and get all the crap that got inside and on the gauges .... a little annoyed about that..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Where on ebay did you find that? I am interested in trying to do the swap myself (if it all works out for you that is).

Thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where on ebay did you find that? I am interested in trying to do the swap myself (if it all works out for you that is).

Thanks.
no where special, i just look at ebay every day to see whats been recently added. my keywords are just 'dodge caliber'. most of the stuff is the usual crap, but sometimes theres new stuff, i just happened on the cluster and won the auction =p

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
FINALLY got my cluster yesterday, planning on maybe this weekend taking the dash apart and seeing if the EVIC cluster works in a NON-EVIC Equipped Caliber. The eBay idiot packed it in a small plastic bag (not big enough to cover it completely) and used shredded paper to package it.. so i have to completely take the thing apart and get all the crap that got inside and on the gauges .... a little annoyed about that..
You may want to read this from the service manual re instrument cluster.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You may want to read this from the service manual re instrument cluster.
interesting, so if it doesnt work, the cluster i got off ebay could be damaged, but mine would still be fine in the event the other doesnt work, since the cluster memory is whats effected not the PCM.

But the wording is confusing since it says the cluster can learn information once connected.. but then it says cluster needs to be pre-programmed with the VIN. They may just have that warning to deter people from swapping in lower millage clusters for shady people.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Swap

This is one I would be interested in too. I have to go look back in my Service Manual for the Concorde I had and see what it says. On my concorde I installed the necessary components (floor shifter, bezel and instrument cluster) to get the autostick in the car. It worked great, and was a lot of fun. WHen I put the new cluster in, it automatically had the same miles as when I took the old one out, and it came from a car with many more miles it had on it. It was nice because it worked very well. Plus it was the nicer cluster from a 300M. If this isn't plug and play I would be suprised, because to me it is a stupid move on their part. All of the information was in my other vehicles computer, and this was a simple installation. Also installed an EVIC in my car, was simpler in that car tough because they didn't use the CAN bus, they used the older one. However, will be interested in this swap, and if no one does it, might do it myself, I am almost out of mileage on my extended warranty and so will be thinking about this.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts