Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting yesterday my wife had the car. All of a sudden it started ticking. Ive popped the hood and cant pin point it. Sounds like its coming from somewhere around the pulleys. It was never there until yesterday and now it happens in park, reverse, and drive while idle. Not sure if you can hear it when driving.

When driving Ive also noticed the transmission makes a whining noise if you tap the gas and quickly let off. Its also there when accelerating, but seems to eventually go away as the car gets warm.

I previously had issues with rough idling at stop lights, had the TSB performed, and changed spark plugs. Perhaps its an issue with the sensor mentioned in my previous thread here:

http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=31841&highlight=rough+idle

Any ideas? I am taking the car in on Monday for an $89 diagnostic at the dealership. If I can pinpoint it before then I can save money.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Well if you figure it out let me know becuase i still cant figure mine out. i cant afford the dealership after my tires. cant take mine in for like 3 more weeks..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Was just about to say alternator! Supposedly this has happened more than a few times before.
I better get it checked out before it totally dies and Im screwed. Autozone is open at 9AM tomorrow so I can get it checked before work.

If this is the issue can someone point me to an alternator for these cars for a decent price?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright well had the battery and "charging system" tested today at Autozone and Napa. Both places said they cant test the alternator but can test the "charging system" so I am in doubt of the results. Both came back that the battery was fine, I dont doubt that. They both said the battery is being charged fine and Im holding at 14.73v with the car on.

However I have created a video here. The second part of the video is supposed to show that metal bar vibrating, not sure if thats normal or not:

I also need to edit my original post. When slowing down you can hear the whine start winding down at about 20-25MPH not 10.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Pretty much all the alternators that were found to be bad were due to bad bearings. They still produced a charge. So the testing you had done would never show bad bearings.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Pretty much all the alternators that were found to be bad were due to bad bearings. They still produced a charge. So the testing you had done would never show bad bearings.
Sounds like a bad alternator to you?

Whats going to happen if I dont replace it ASAP?

And lastly would a bad bearing in the alternator cause the whine thats being heard from 25MPH and under during deceleration and acceleration?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
1>Sounds like a bad alternator to you?

2>Whats going to happen if I dont replace it ASAP?

3>And lastly would a bad bearing in the alternator cause the whine thats being heard from 25MPH and under during deceleration and acceleration?
1> Can't be 100%, but sounds like the other sound clips.

2> Eventually the alternator will freeze, the pulley will fall off or the belt will jump off. Possible collateral damage will ensue.

3> Depends on where the sound is coming from. Does it vary with the engine or with what the CVT is doing? If engine, it's probably the alternator causing radio interference. If CVT, then you could be looking at CVT whine, which could be signaling its demise.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems to be with the engine. Would it cause radio interference with the radio off?

I hit a bump the other day and the radio went out. It still has power but nothing from the speakers. I'm wondering if maybe it's all related?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Alright well had the battery and "charging system" tested today at Autozone and Napa. Both places said they cant test the alternator but can test the "charging system" so I am in doubt of the results. Both came back that the battery was fine, I dont doubt that. They both said the battery is being charged fine and Im holding at 14.73v with the car on.

However I have created a video here. The second part of the video is supposed to show that metal bar vibrating, not sure if thats normal or not:

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p187/whitedragon5515/?action=view¤t=VID00013.mp4

I also need to edit my original post. When slowing down you can hear the whine start winding down at about 20-25MPH not 10.
As Brad said - even with bad bearings or decoupler pulley, the alternator can still be electrically fine and properly charge the battery and run the car's electrical system.

If it is the bearings - yes possible future disaster
If it is the decoupler pulley - no disaster, but no charging after it fails.

Replace the alternator at your earliest convenience.

Metal bar? The one on top of your engine? That is the fuel rail (supply pipe/tank) for the fuel injectors. I can see little or no vibration in the video. For now - don't worry.

Transmission whine? - please post a sound clip if you can. Most important thing - do you feel any driving problems? (also it could be the decoupler pulley on the alternator)

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Seems to be with the engine. Would it cause radio interference with the radio off?

I hit a bump the other day and the radio went out. It still has power but nothing from the speakers. I'm wondering if maybe it's all related?
Whine is probably alternator related. Radio going out probably isn't.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As Brad said - even with bad bearings or decoupler pulley, the alternator can still be electrically fine and properly charge the battery and run the car's electrical system.

If it is the bearings - yes possible future disaster
If it is the decoupler pulley - no disaster, but no charging after it fails.

Replace the alternator at your earliest convenience.

Metal bar? The one on top of your engine? That is the fuel rail (supply pipe/tank) for the fuel injectors. I can see little or no vibration in the video. For now - don't worry.

Transmission whine? - please post a sound clip if you can. Most important thing - do you feel any driving problems? (also it could be the decoupler pulley on the alternator)
I don't have any issue withdriving and the transmission. I think the whine is the alternator.

Whine is probably alternator related. Radio going out probably isn't.
I plan on pulling the radio soon. On a side note do you happen to know what order the heater control wires go in (which one on top)?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take a look at this page
Thank you for that. I think I installed the heater cords backwords so they are pulling on the speaker wire and that has caused the speakers to cut out. Ill fix that tomorrow morning.

As for the alternator is there anyway to test it so to say to figure out if that is what Im hearing?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
The only good way to test it is to remove it, but removing the belt and playing with the pulley might get you the same thing.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only good way to test it is to remove it, but removing the belt and playing with the pulley might get you the same thing.
Alright so what am I look for? A clicking noise as I hand spin the pulley?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
No easy test while it is on the car. There are a couple of checks after it is out of the car. But, if you have gone through all that trouble to remove the old one, you might as well put in a new one.
From what you described of the sound, it is almost certainly the decoupler pulley on the alternator. A new alternator comes with a new pulley. While this is kind of a "blind" repair - it will most likely cure your noise.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No easy test while it is on the car. There are a couple of checks after it is out of the car. But, if you have gone through all that trouble to remove the old one, you might as well put in a new one.
From what you described of the sound, it is almost certainly the decoupler pulley on the alternator. A new alternator comes with a new pulley. While this is kind of a "blind" repair - it will most likely cure your noise.
Thats where Im on the fence. Im 99% sure its the alternator, but the other 1% of me says there are tons of other things down there that could also cause the same thing. What if its one of those things? Know what I mean?

Alright so anyone have an image of where this sucker is located? If its a a moderate to easy task Ill do it myself. My new job (havent officially started, but have officially accepted the position I was offered) has a lift for the mechanics that I can use. I may be able to go in before I start and use the lift to change it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts