Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum folk, im looking for a bit of help as to what to check next but here is the story.
on the 22nd of this month i use the car to take my mom to the doctor, car runs and drives but when i go to use it the Monday after i get power but NO CRANK, i have since then checked all the wires in the corner and going threw the fender nothing there other then previous repairs by me which are fine, i check and replace all relays anyways NOTHING, here is the kicker when i try and run my scan tool on the car it says it cant connect to it or thinks the key is off when it is not, i have had this issue with this car before and it was either 1 of 2 things corroded or broken wires or bad relays but this time this is not the issue, so any info or where to check or look next would be greatly appreciated. i forgot to mention i have been having issues with cruise, driver headlight and horn all not working if that helps but them issues never stopped it from driving before either way it just needed as a winter car then after that i will find another car but no way in hell am i driving my 91 Stealth RT(lowered) in the Canadian snow so PLEASE HELP out a fellow dodge guy, Thanks and much love

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just drivers side headlight. Then the cruise and horn thing. But does that have anything to do with the sudden no crank? Like I mentioned before the headlight, horn, and cruise was like that and not working for awhile before this sudden no start, the car started and ran fine for A while before I took it that one Friday then on a Monday 2-3 day later so a sudden ground off stopping it from running would be very weird but I'm starting to think I'm going to put it all back together and checking the starter solenoid since I checked all the wiring inside the fender behind the headlight and inside the drivers foot well area and everything else, can't get my scan tool to get comms from the car but my buddies newer/smarter scan tool pulled a U1415 but not sure how that would affect the no crank thing

·
Registered
742 Posts
There are a number of grounding points that have multiple circuits grounding there...the wires all get crimped together onto one big eyelet, and that gets bolted to the frame. What happens is that the wires start corroding from the top down and one by one they begin to fail. It's certainly possible that one related to your cranking issue is in the same "bundle" of wires with the headlight/horn/etc and it's simply now the turn for that particular ground wire to fail

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info, as of now what im going to do since i been threw all the wiring in that area many times and cant find anything wrong is put it all back together and run a thick cable from the battery to the starter and see if its just dead and if i get it to crank then its something else like TIPM, it sucks as i just put $2k into this car, all new front suspension(lower control arms with bushing and ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar end links) plus front and rear brakes and some rear suspension links and not even a year on it all which SUCKS HUGH. i do have a truck to drive instead of the Cali but its rough and only really used to haul my atvs and trailer, lol any other ideas as im really starting to lean towards the TIPM being the reason if it does turn over after me using a thick wire, Thanks again

·
Registered
742 Posts
If the car isn't cranking at all now, two things come to mind:

1) There's a short thick wire that runs from the starter solenoid to the starter motor...it's a bare twisted copper wire. That can corrode with age and when it fails, the car won't crank. Check the condition of that little bit of wire...if it's toast, replace the starter.

2) Behind the driver's side headlight is a small black box with a number of relays in it. One of them is the master relay. If that's bad, you'll get no crank. The box itself is notorious for corrosion getting inside and rotting the terminals and relay legs, usually in one corner of the box. Check that box for corrosion (I think you can remove all the relays and then remove the plastic plate underneath to get a good look at the insides of the box).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks I will look at that starter wire as I already have been in that relay box fixed and moved the one relay from the corroded spot to a new location in the same relay box, fixed and rechecked the all the wiring in that area. Only two things to do now is check that starter wire and if it is still intact then try and run a wire from battery to the solenoid and see if I get it to crank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts