Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was attempted to have a meet and greet last year in the Lake George area by another member but that pretty much fell through due to prices and vacation timing and whatever else that was going on.

I am throwing out an idea. Let me know what you think. I want to hit Letchworth State Park this summer and probably do it a few times because of my river running and other things/people.

Heres some info on this park/area..Lets start with general information.
Admission to the park for the day is $6 per car. Hours 6am-11pm. Camping is available on weekends for $25 a night, weekdays at $22. Cabin rentals also available along with rental cottages.
Pool fees 12 and over $2; 11 and under $1.
Location: Along the Genesee River, 35 miles south of Rochester. Exit 7 Interstate 390.
Attractions: Hiking, swimming, whitewater, horseback riding, hot air balloon rides (weekends), Picnic areas, nature trails, waterfalls (3), biking, fishing, kayaking, a museum, bird watching, (I hear theres a lot of deer there too.), volleyball, playgrounds.. Surely we can find SOMETHING to do!

Contact Information:
1 Letchworth State Park
Castile, NY 14427
Phone:
(585) 493-3600
Reservations:
(800) 456-2267

Do I have your attention yet?? If not, read on.. if so.. read on anyway. :4-looney:

Description:

Letchworth State Park, renowned as the "Grand Canyon of the East," is one of the most scenically magnificent areas in the eastern U.S. The Genesee River roars through the gorge, over three major waterfalls, between cliffs as high as 600 feet in some places. The river's cliffs are surrounded by lush forests. Hikers can choose among 66 miles of hiking trails (hiking past numerous scenic views and waterfalls). Trails are also available for horseback riding, biking, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing. Letchworth offers nature, history and performing arts programs, guided walks and tours, a summer lecture series, whitewater rafting, kayaking, canoeing, hot air ballooning, and two pools for swimming. Winter they also have horse drawn carriage rides but I'm not going in the winter, thats just an FYI.

I think I covered whats available. My plan is to camp the weekend but you do have other options available. Come for the day or stay for the weekend or week with family and friends. I was thinking we can meet at a picnic area. I'm open for ideas any of you may have.

Every one loves food.. we can have a food thing/picnic. The Campsites have Electricity and so does my camper if we need it for cooking purposes.

I will also have my inflatable raft/kayak but only holds 2. or 2 adults 1 small child (up to 650lbs). I can offer a ride in the gorge for those interested or bring your own raft/kayak/canoe and go as a group thing. They also have group rafting available in guided tours for about $30pp.

See above for other activities. Bring a volleyball for added laughter.

For the adventure impaired people, we can just sit around the picnic area and crack jokes, share stories, ect. lol The trails are handicapped accessible.

It seems the table is wide open for ideas, dates.. try to avoid holidays if possible. I was thinking around July 10th weekend. I have every weekend available except Aug 22-Aug 30. I will be in SC. OH and June 10th.. camping in Adirondacks.
I was told that the campsites fill up fast, the sooner the better for all that want to attend that plan on camping.

I will do my best to keep this post active and draw people in. :naughty:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats a meet up with no crack jokes?! Id prefer to keep my crack private, thank you! LOL

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
MORNING! ok for some of us its morning.

Here is a link about the park and photos.
I found a Park Map/Legend also, but will post that later on, just to give and idea how big this place is. (Actually I was looking for a legend to locate the put in and take out points for my funyak lol)

http://www.letchworthpark.com/

Should I also add the great lakes region? Ohio folks may not be that far off from the park. I shall look out the map again. This may not just be for north east folks, it seems that the great lakes folks maybe able to hop in on this. Just thought Id toss that in. I should change the title to North East and Great Lakes area.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Its a Great Idea!! I was around that way in 94 driving a Chrysler Imperial, However the chances of me passing that way again are a bit remote, but thanks for the Invite!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah good luck guys i tried to get this going too but there was no intrest...were were you all at when i wanted to hold one...sorry but i live in hawaii now so i wont be attending
I don't know how long ago that was, but the only one I know that was attempted for northeast was one for Lake George last year, which went down hill due to dates and cost for the time frame that was chosen.

I would attend any meet up if it wasn't too far out of the way and wasn't just a meet for an hour and go thing, if i was traveling more than an hour or 2. I tried to consider location, and if/when people travel - accomodations. Also threw out diff ideas as to what could be done either as a group or separate. I still think having a picnic type deal and go with how the group feels at that time as far as site seeing, horseback riding, walking trails, hot air ballooning, kayaking, volleyball game.. I looked at the map legend and it seems theres picnic areas not to far from overlooks for scenery. I hadn't met anyone that hasn't loved Letchworth State Park. They even have guided tours that are free.. another option.

For the Record, if this falls through and no one or only one other is interested, I'm still going and my camp site is open for anyone to stop on by (assuming I'm not in the gorge playing in the water with the yak) lol. I'll hold a meet up if only 1, 2 or 3 others are interested is what I'm saying because well.. when I want to do something, I usually do it, alone or not. lol

I did some calculations using online tools.. Guesstimates for travel time to the park
Niagara Falls, Canada ~ 1hr 40min
Toronto, Canada ~ 2hrs 53 min
Brantford, Canada ~ 2hrs 45 min
Rome, NY (ME!! lol) ~ 3hrs 1min
Pittsburgh, PA ~ 4hrs 30min
Akron, OH ~ 4hrs 30min
Detroit, MI ~ 5hrs 30min
Toms River, NJ ~ 6hrs 30min

I think the most Id travel in one day is 6hrs for a meet up so I stopped after NJ,but anyway I think I should change the subject to include great lakes region so they know its not just North East. Is there a way to change the title to add that? Probably not with my luck

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i contacted the owners of Adventure Calls Outfitters to get an idea of the gorge and whats allowed in the gorge and this is their response:

Anyone can canoe or kayak the gorge in their own boat. Inflatable kayaks are allowed as well. Individuals with their own inflatable rafts are not allowed to paddle them in the gorge. A permit is required from the park. There is no fee involved.

The launch site is near the A Cabins area. For paddlers not just "playing the loop", the take out is at St. Helena, which is about 5 miles downstream. People can paddle all the way to the dam, with permission from the Army Corps of Engineers. This would add 12 miles to the trip. The takeout at the dam is not something I would recommend to anyone other than a mountain goat.

5 miles =approx 2hrs

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I, personally, wont be doing this but I am known to do spontanious stuff. This is just added information for those that are 'thinking' about it.

Balloon Rides over Letchworth:

Prices: $220 per person, book 5 or more in your party or purchase gift certificates for 5 or more, $210 per person. We fly up to 10 passengers per flight depending on weight. If your party does not equal 10, you may be flying with other parties. We can also fly your party in a second balloon which can hold 5 passengers giving us the ability to fly a party of up to 15 people! A $10 per person surcharge applies in the month of October. Please call (585) 493-3340, Mon. - Fri. from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. to book a flight.

Questions and Answers
Will I get "Seasick"? No, there is no feeling of motion in the balloon. The balloon is completely stable and never swings or sways. How high do balloons go? Normal flights go about 2,000 feet but the pilot may go higher to obtain various wind directions. Can we land where we have launched? That would be a very rare occurrence. Balloons do not have steering devices. The pilot directs the balloon by going up or down to obtain different wind directions. What weather conditions do we need? Generally winds of 10 knots or less with no precipitation. We have a saying that "it is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground." We are in touch with Flight Service right up until launch time. Safety is our number one consideration. How do we get back? We are in radio contact with our "chase vehicle" throughout the flight. Our experienced chase crew will be at our landing sight. After packing up the balloon and our customary champagne toast, we will drive you back to your vehicle. Your friends and family are also welcome to join in the chase. What should I wear? Dress for the conditions of the day. It is not colder aloft, in fact it is usually warmer. On warm days the burners can be hot so caps are recommended, especially for tall persons. The grass is usually wet on sunrise flights, so waterproof shoes are handy. Sandals and high heels are not recommended. Are cameras allowed? Absolutely!! However, we're not responsible for their safety. Oversized camcorders may not be allowed if space does not permit. When do you fly and for how long? We only fly at sunrise and two hours prior to sunset, 7 days a week. This is when winds are the lightest. Flights normally last 45 minutes to an hour. Plan on a total excursion of about 2-3 hours. Flights are scheduled April through mid October. The minimum age is 12 years old and health restrictions may apply.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yeah, that was me that proposed Lake George last year. It got shoved to the back burner when we got news about my wife's Cancer and been dealing with it ever since. Everything should be done and done by May, so June + should work for us.
The Montrealers should have our annual meet in May so I'll make sure I bring it up.

Nice footwork on the info, thanks for the effort

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, Lake George is really nice, never been though. But for us further South, has anyone thought of Delaware Water Gap? Hmmm???

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I only brought up Letchworth State park because I had planned on going there anyway this summer and thought it would be a nice place for a meet up. Theres other stuff to do within the area like a Theme Park with water park thats not to far away, that used to be a six flags. Lots of rollar coasters and also a kiddie ride section. They also have camping within the park where you can walk from your campsite to the theme park. If anyone wanted to stay there, its Darien Lake Theme Park. I only do that during off season prices. lol Theres also Niagra Falls not to far from Letchworth State Park. Buffalo has an aquarium I wouldn't mind checking out too.

Delaware may also be a long ride for folks living further north than I.. aka Canada, vermont, maine... I was just in delaware passing through a month ago and Dont recall how long it took me to get there. I wasnt paying much attention but to destination. lol

I hadnt been around much. Dealing with other stuff that I will just put in a seperate post.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have to remember that I'm not part of the mid-Atlantic in this group and part of the Northeast which means Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. Guess Lake George it is!! heh heh

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to remember that I'm not part of the mid-Atlantic in this group and part of the Northeast which means Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. Guess Lake George it is!! heh heh
LOL Lake George was the talk from Last year. This year I had mentioned Letchworth State Park, which is closer to Niagara Falls. Lake George would still be good too, I just dont know much over that way and was watching expenses too. However, where ever it is, I will still be at letchworth state park breaking in my funyak (inflatable kayak) on the gorge, family fun rapids. he he

1 - 15 of 15 Posts