Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my alternator due to a bad bearing. Also replaced the battery not long before this. After replacing my alternator I started getting the battery indicator light on my dash. It seemed to be intermitent at first, and gradually started coming on more frequently. I had a hunch it was the small plug that attaches to the alternator as I had some difficulty with this when I replaced the alternator, however I rep[laced this and it still comes on. Battery was pretty much run out of power once. Anyone have any Ideas?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I recently changed my alternator due to a bad bearing. Also replaced the battery not long before this. After replacing my alternator I started getting the battery indicator light on my dash. It seemed to be intermitent at first, and gradually started coming on more frequently. I had a hunch it was the small plug that attaches to the alternator as I had some difficulty with this when I replaced the alternator, however I rep[laced this and it still comes on. Battery was pretty much run out of power once. Anyone have any Ideas?
Yeah, like someone else that replaced their alternator. The new one was defective. Have it tested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do I have to remove it to have it tested or can it be tested in the vehicle. If it's not the alternator any other Ideas?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
If the battery was nearly dead when you changed the alternator, it will not charge back up. You need to get the battery charged and then have the system checked. I'm betting that you just have low voltage in the battery. It should have at least 12.5 in it with it just sitting and not running.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Just have the alternator load tested. If it's bad, it will show on the test. You may also want to check all the car's charging system grounds for corrosion.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Both Wal Mart and AutoZone can test it while on the car

Hey, I didn't know Wal Mart would do that for you. I do know that in addition to Autozone, Advance Auto Parts also has the ARBST tester. Either parts store mentioned can roll the machine out to your car and perform both tests. No need to remove any parts from the car unless they test bad.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Wal Mart can test the charging system I should have mentioned that. They shouldn’t charge you anything but if they are charging a battery you are going to have to wait until the machine is done charging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts