Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are views of the Dodge Caliber alloy wheels at the end of the 3 year warranty.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This issue is probably the most common Caliber warranty repair here. Dodge merely ships the rims back to the supplier for free replacements under the contract.
I am now on my third set of wheels and it is the last repair under my warranty.
Clearly the supplier has not 'identified' a fault nor made any improvement. Dodge are blaming winter road gritting but clearly the rims are sold into much more severe climates.

Nor is it limited to a particular style of wheel - the 18" Sport alloys without the ridged splines are equally affected.

I looked over different wheels on Chrysler models and took more shots.

The kicker was a new unregistered Sebring for sale in the showroom with 39 miles on the clock. It had a build date of March 2007 so almost 2.5 years old and the wheels were in worse condition than the ones I had replaced. All this without having been out in winter salt!
My hunch for a culprit is the damp climate - along with shoddy lacquer.

Jeep wheels on the whole were in good nick hence no need for pics.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what kind of coating that they use on them? I wonder if they could be stripped of it and recoated/sprayed.
I don't even know who makes them. My first replacements were boxed and the only markings were Mopar stocking and distribution labels.

It could be the same clearcoat as the body.

I believe sandblasting and powder coating would work but my new rims will see me through for another 3 years. By then I expect to buy cheap used ones with nearly new tires on eBay.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Powder coating sounds interesting. I had a Thunderbird that had the same problem. I debated stripping the coating, but didn't want to be polishing them all the time to keep them looking decent. I just tried to ignore it. The rest of the car was crap anyway, 1986 Turbo Coupe. I called it Turbo Poop.:D

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Then it is better to get steel rims for winter.

Must be. My Caliber hasn't been in snow yet after over two years. My wheels still look new. Aleks, you might be better off to get you some winter wheels and tires. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
some of the german owners have that too but got them replaced from dodge...

mine look after 3 years and 90.000 km very very fine!
:)

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The replaced Dodge alloys go the same way after a year. There is no further warranty on them after the initial period.

Powder coating may be an option for members to consider when replacing tyres, especially if there are any scuffs to buff out as well.

Alloy Wheel Refurbishments. kerbed alloy wheels, alloy wheel restoration, shots blasting and powdercoating
* Are your wheels chipped and scratched ?
* Has the lacquer lifted ?
Alloys stripped, repaired and blasted then powder coated in Silver and lacquer,
All wheels are chemically stripped and blasted all over. The whole of the wheel is refurbished not just the front face,
Kerb damage is always rectified.
The polyester powder coat lacquer used is more often than not a higher specification than the wheels original lacquer; you'll see the brake dust hardly adheres to it.
Color options available

A set is about $200. Something to consider as an alternative to used Jeep/Nissan versions.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FIXED ?

Dodge NZ is now using these rims

NZ

The standard 18 inch polished aluminum wheels contribute to Caliber's unique curb appeal.

·
Registered
711 Posts
That is a VERY VERY common problem on chrysler vehicles rims. I work at a jeep dealer and i resurface a LOT of jeep rims before we put them on the lot for sale.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I have the same rims as in Aleks' picture in post #1. I go through possibly similar road conditions (salt, snow, slush, water, cold damp winter days, humid summer days, etc.) And so far, mine are OK and showing no signs of finish failure.

Sometimes, I wonder about how consistent the supplier's quality is.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Dodge NZ is now using these rims

The standard 18 inch polished aluminum wheels contribute to Caliber's unique curb appeal.
Wow i really like these! I wonder if i can find them over there? :naughty:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm supposed to be taking my car in this week to see if they will replace my rims under warranty. Can't believe how these things look in under 3 years. :(

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
These are my third set of rims after less than 2 years, suppliers never improved.

·
Registered
711 Posts
These are my third set of rims after less than 2 years, suppliers never improved.

Yea, its not something that their going to fix. Only happens with their polished wheels too. If im not mistaken, they use a lacquer clearcoat on them, and no matter what they will always form a bit of corrosion.

I sure am glad my stock rims are painted..

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are these the stock rims rims in steel?
Powder coat paint would be better.

But 'painted' if just pigmented cellulose would that not be the same as top coat clear cellulose lacquer ? Then the pigment just covers up the same oxidisation underneath until it bubbles up and flakes off.

This problem is due to the composition - whatever they now specify to reduce VOC, it's a water based coating maybe.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Are these the stock rims rims in steel?
Powder coat paint would be better.

But 'painted' if just pigmented cellulose would that not be the same as top coat clear cellulose lacquer ? Then the pigment just covers up the same oxidisation underneath until it bubbles up and flakes off.

This problem is due to the composition - whatever they now specify to reduce VOC, it's a water based coating maybe.

Well i have two sets of rims, the same as you pictured, but factory silver and not polished, and then i have a set of powdercoated SRT4 rims.

The factory rims i could care less about, their for winter and if they corrode, ill sand blast them at work and paint them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts