Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody was having problem with rear tires wearing dwn? I work at autocenter and had 3 caliber come in for alignment. Both rear control arm bushing gone bad on all 3 cali.

Its that commend problem?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
I was wondering if anybody was having problem with rear tires wearing dwn? I work at autocenter and had 3 caliber come in for alignment. Both rear control arm bushing gone bad on all 3 cali.

Its that common problem?
It would appear, based on the members here, to not be overly common, but is more common than you would like to see. Your observation isn't surprising.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Not really, but there were various suspension issues on early production vehicles.
After those were taken care of I've heard of no widespread suspension problems on the Caliber/Compass/Patriot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a 2009 SXT for 5 years now with 213 K on it.
First 3 years it was OK the things started to go south.
This year I had lots of suspension work done on it.
In the back I had rear control arms and lateral links replaced in June this year. When the passenger side rear link was replaced, the old one was rusted and stuck and the guy who did it had to heat it up and kinda butcher his way into it. After, I took it to a shop to have the wheels aligned. They said they couldn't do it on the passenger side due to the job the guy did when he replaced the link but it shouldn't be a big deal, just more wear on that tire in time. I drove it for around 3 months after that with no issue (highway drive for a few hundreds kms included)
Beginning of September I had rear bushings replaced.
Mid October we had a big snow here (yes, nothing unusual in Calgary this time of year) and I couldn't go faster than 40 km/hr. Even on dry roads now I feel like the steering is very loose and I'm losing control of the car starting around 70 km/hr. When I hit a pothole the car goes sideways.
I had it inspected and was told wheels need alignment and front struts replaced. I took it back to the shop that did the alignment in June and after they tried to do it again they said they were not able to have the rear wheels aligned so the car drives the same. They said that nothing is bent under and couldn't find anything wrong that would cause the misalignment and couldn't give me an explanation why they can't do it.

I can't tell for sure when things changed but I was feeling something was off every time I would hit a hole in the road even before the snow came. I booked another wheel alignment for Thursday with another shop specialized in tires and suspension to see what they say but I wanted to see if anybody here would have any input/ideas.

Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts