Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 which was wrecked and we are just finishing rebuilding it. The first problem is the air conditioner does not work. We have verified that the compressor is good and and is charged. When we "short it" at the ecm it works fine. I dont know if this is normal but the fans run anytime the car is running. Also it is showing code P1607 about every three to five times I start it. I see from prior post that some people are having this problem but I have not seen anyone rectify the problem. The car has a brand new pcm. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
The fans are suppose to come on immediately when the A/C is turned on. You probably have a sensor that isn't working. We are talking a car with CanBus. If a sensor, or the CanBus connection isn't there, the A/C won't come on. Have you downloaded a free copy of the repair manual?

From the manual:

P1607-PCM INTERNAL SHUTDOWN TIMER SLOW RATIONALITY
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.
² When Monitored:
With the ignition on and battery voltage greater than 10 volts.
² Set Condition:
An internal PCM failure has been detected. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
Possible Causes
PENDING TEMPERATURE SENSOR DTCS
(F202) FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START) CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(A931) FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE -
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).
Diagnostic Test
1. PENDING TEMPERATURE SENSOR DTCS
Turn the ignition on.
NOTE: If any temperature sensor DTCs are present, allow the vehicle to cool completely before proceeding
with this test.
Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature.
With the scan tool, select View DTCs.
Are there any pending Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, Ambient Air Temperature sensor, or general
temperature DTCs?
Yes >> Diagnose and repair any temperature sensor DTCs and retest.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1 (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).
No >> Go to 2
2. PCM IGNITION CIRCUITS OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the PCM harness connector.
With a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the (F202) Fused Ignition Switch Output (Run-Start) circuit.
With a 12-volt test light connected to ground, check the (A931) Fused B+ circuit.
Check the circuits with the ignition switch in the OFF, ON, and START positions.
NOTE: The test light should be illuminated and bright with the ignition switch in the ON and START positions.
Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.
Wiggle test the circuits while checking with the test light to check the circuit for an intermittent problem.
Does the test light illuminate, or not illuminate, as expected in each of the ignition switch positions?
Yes >> Go to 3
No >> Repair the circuit(s) as necessary. If an open fuse is found, inspect the circuit for a short to ground.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1 (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)
3. POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect Powertrain Control Module power and ground circuits.
Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
Monitor the scan tool data and wiggle test the wiring and connectors.
Look for the any data to change or for the DTC to reset during the wiggle test.
Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.
Were any problems found?
Yes >> Repair as necessary.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1 (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING).
No >> Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in accordance with the Service Information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I have a question about my air conditioner in my 07 Caliber too... I turned my car on today and turned the air conditioner on and it is making this really loud sound... I'm not very vehicle-lingo oriented so bear with me, but it sounds like when, as a kid, you'd clip a playing card to your bicycle tire to make that loud sound... maybe a belt broke or something, but it IS blowing out cold air. The sound gets louder if I put it to circulate. Any ideas on what the problem is and what it's going to cost me to get it fixed? It's 100+ degrees outside and I have 2 small kids, so I can't go with it like this for long... help?!

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Ok, I have a question about my air conditioner in my 07 Caliber too... I turned my car on today and turned the air conditioner on and it is making this really loud sound... I'm not very vehicle-lingo oriented so bear with me, but it sounds like when, as a kid, you'd clip a playing card to your bicycle tire to make that loud sound... maybe a belt broke or something, but it IS blowing out cold air. The sound gets louder if I put it to circulate. Any ideas on what the problem is and what it's going to cost me to get it fixed? It's 100+ degrees outside and I have 2 small kids, so I can't go with it like this for long... help?!
There is a TSB for the blower ingesting debris from the glovebox. Mention that to the dealer, and he should be able to make the fix. Here's a link to the TSB: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=817

Reactions: dnarud13

·
Registered
105 Posts
... having a filter would prevent this problem correct? My wifes r/t does not appear to have the screen, and the blower makes odd sounds when its on low kind of like a squeaking sound.. our warranty just ran out so I would guess we are out of luck with this TSB right? I find it hard to believe this is an issue at all... but then again you would think that all cars would some with cabin filters... if only we had the security option on our r/t... not that this at all should be an option, standard.... anything to get a cost savings

There is a TSB for the blower ingesting debris from the glovebox. Mention that to the dealer, and he should be able to make the fix. Here's a link to the TSB: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=817

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As I see it the only way you could have debris sucked into the
blower stream is if you left the cover to the cabin air filter cavity
cover off.
For those who don't have the filter(if you have bothered to look)
just take the money you would have spent on your Starbucks
double lattes for the week bite the bullet and buy one,all the
Calibers have the provision for one built in.

Reactions: Flyinghigh

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
Sound advice ( would not let me rep so you must have given a lot of it )

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
( would not let me rep so you must have given a lot of it )
No, you can only rep so much in a given 24 hr period, and you can only rep the same person after spreading it around to several others. It has nothing to do with the other persons rep actions. ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
If thats the only way then why the TSB? Hmm I don't drink starbuck I'll have to find something else to give up for a week. Where can you buy these filters anyways? I would rather not go to the dealer... if they are even open anymore...

As I see it the only way you could have debris sucked into the
blower stream is if you left the cover to the cabin air filter cavity
cover off.
For those who don't have the filter(if you have bothered to look)
just take the money you would have spent on your Starbucks
double lattes for the week bite the bullet and buy one,all the
Calibers have the provision for one built in.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
If thats the only way then why the TSB?
TSBs are generated when the same complaint comes up a lot. It gives quick instructions on the cause and remedies for the issue so the tech doesn't have to go through all kinds of troubleshooting to discover what others already have discovered.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know that but the poster I replied to said that not having a filter couldn't cause this problem, but leaving the cover off could be the only way to get debris. Which I belive it could. and the TSB came into play because it was/is an issue and there is suppose to be a screen installed to avoid the problem. But seeing that the cabin filter is directly above the fan(if you stick your hand in there you can feel the fan) I believe the filter would stop this problem in the first place.

TSBs are generated when the same complaint comes up a lot. It gives quick instructions on the cause and remedies for the issue so the tech doesn't have to go through all kinds of troubleshooting to discover what others already have discovered.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I know that but the poster I replied to said that not having a filter couldn't cause this problem, but leaving the cover off could be the only way to get debris. Which I belive it could. and the TSB came into play because it was/is an issue and there is suppose to be a screen installed to avoid the problem. But seeing that the cabin filter is directly above the fan(if you stick your hand in there you can feel the fan) I believe the filter would stop this problem in the first place.
If you note on the TSB, it's for the Calibers made during a certain period. They obviously made a modification that incorporated the screen to be added at the factory after that period.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I believe the original complaints(some of which I read) were
traced back to debris entering the air intake at the base of
the windshield.There is a screen installed on mine right below
the plastic cowling,this stops leaves,large bugs etc. from
entering the airstream.
I just took my glovebox out and checked for other entery
points but found none.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
where i found the powertrain control module in mi caliber 2007?
mi air condition no work can you telme what hapend is a caliber 2007
The PCM is located between the air filter housing and the left wheel well. As far as why it doesn't work, it could be any number of reasons. A fuse, a sensor, the TIPM, the condenser, or the switch on the dash. I think you need to have your dealer look at it.

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
No, you can only rep so much in a given 24 hr period, and you can only rep the same person after spreading it around to several others. It has nothing to do with the other persons rep actions. ;)
I meant bigtsr has been giving a lot of good advice ( and so earning lots of rep ).

·
Registered
33 Posts
mod aleks, my AC is acting differently, it not blowing cold air equally, the passenger side has cold air while the driver side is hot, i went to a mechanic and he said its only freon, he charged it with freon then it became equal, it has been a week since the freon re-charge, now it acted the same as before not blowing equal cold air. any thoughts about this??

·
Super Moderator
12,384 Posts
There is only one unit so if there is cold air anywhere the freon is ok.

You either have an obstruction or loose duct, or one of the fans has a loose electrical connection.

While you are at it check and replace your cabin filter, you will need to open the holder to clear the duct.

Without the a/c turn your fan on max and check the flow at each outlet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts