Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Air Conditioner is only pumping 70 degrees. That seems rather warm to me. Is there any way to lower this?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Have it checked by the dealer. It's obvious the refrigerant was topped off at the dealer before being put on the lot.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
You should take it to the dealer and have it checked out.
Is that with recycle on or off?

On exceptionally hot days that AC will not blow very cold while taking in the hot outside air.

I usually ride with the windows down for a few mins to cool the interior. Then put the AC on recycle and roll up the windows. After the car is nice and cool, you can allow outside air into the cabin and the AC will be able to maintain the temp.

It is getting over that initial 120+ degrees that is the problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only about 87 here. It blows 70.

My brother's mini van, sitting next to my car, having not been run all day, was turned on and blew 45. (we have an air conditioning thermometer to check with)

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Something else you might look at is the fuse. If you don't hear the compressor kick in it could be the fuse.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Blowing mild air...

Yup, this definitely sounds like a dealer issue. Didn't someone mention a similar problem in another thread not too long ago? Something about a software issue?

PeOn is right about using the recirculate setting. We've been running in the mid-to-high 90s here for quite awhile now and using the recycle venting definitely helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're only supposed to use the "recycle" until the temp is "comfortable". Once It gets comfy, I turn off recycle and it starts to get warm again. I have to have it on lvl 4 and recycle to keep it somewhat cool. Yes, I do hear the compressor kicking on.

I should be able to once it get to the temp I like to stay there with only minimal/medium fan use, not full bore gale force wind.

I think this may also be why the Caliber's "Chill Zone" doesn't work that properly. How can it keep chilled drinks cooled to 45 degrees if the air isn't 45?

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
You have A/C issues. As I stated in another thread while going through the Mojave Desert on a trip to California, I had the blower on 1 and 2, the temp 4 notches above max, with the outside air running between 104 and 112F. All occupants were comfortable...the women complained it was a little cold for them, though. You should be able to make frost inside with the blower maxed, temp maxed, and the recirc on.

H

·
0 Posts
You're only supposed to use the "recycle" until the temp is "comfortable". Once It gets comfy, I turn off recycle and it starts to get warm again. I have to have it on lvl 4 and recycle to keep it somewhat cool. Yes, I do hear the compressor kicking on.

I should be able to once it get to the temp I like to stay there with only minimal/medium fan use, not full bore gale force wind.

I think this may also be why the Caliber's "Chill Zone" doesn't work that properly. How can it keep chilled drinks cooled to 45 degrees if the air isn't 45?
Who says you are only supposed to leave it on recycle until it's comfortable? Should be able to leave it on recycle as long as you want. A/C is A/C. Doesn't matter if it's on recycle or fresh air. It's still working the same amount. Just depends on if you want to try to cool hot air from outside, or cold air from inside. The choice is yours. With it set to MAX(recycle) once it reaches really cold, the fan speed should slow down until it starts to warm again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to the dealer and they found that the A/C is only blowing to 50 degrees. That's JUST WITHIN SPECS of the 45 +/- 5 degrees.

Oh well.

H

·
0 Posts
Info was posted on the other Caliber forum, and it seems that some Calibers weren't "topped off" with refridgerant by the dealer. It seems they aren't shipped full of refridgerant and the dealer has to top it off during the PDI.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine was "over-full" Still blows 50 degree temp, and it takes time to get there. but at least it's better than before.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
If the car is out of warranty - Is there any reason to go to a dealer? There are a lot of private shops out there than can typically do a good job faster and at a lower cost. Checking, repairing, recharging auto HVAC systems, unfortunately is a common procedure.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
If the car is out of warranty - Is there any reason to go to a dealer? There are a lot of private shops out there than can typically do a good job faster and at a lower cost. Checking, repairing, recharging auto HVAC systems, unfortunately is a common procedure.
Probably more variable quality with private shops than even with dealers. Also dealers have support of Chrysler back up and knowledge base, and hopefully the right parts.

If you have confidence in a reliable shop, research the forum, print the correct TSBs, assess the extent of work required, and buy the necessary parts then a competent local mechanic can be more convenient.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts