Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably about the 15th problem I've had with my caliber. Is anyone else having this particular problem. The airbag warning light on the dash continually comes on for no reason. It's supposed to come on for a second right when you start the car, which it does, sometimes it will remain on for awhile. Not a big deal. What bothers me is I'll be driving down the road and it will come on for no reason and stay on for a few seconds to a minute. Every time it comes on it dings really loudly. Every time it does that I hate my car more and more. I have determined that there is absolutely no pattern involved. Some days it will not come on at all, some days it's just once or twice, and others it is non stop.
I have taken it to the dealership. They drove it around and it didn't happen. They hooked up some piece of equipment to it to see if it showed up in the history? Their instrument shows that it isn't happening. I was told that if I happen to be driving around and it does it then come by the dealership. That's easier said than done, since it isn't consistent.
Am I the only one having this problem? Any ideas?

I've had this car since May & it has been to the dealership more times than any cars I've owned combined. I think I bought a lemon. Here are the problems I can think of off the top of my head:
Rear windshield nozel leaking - the replaced.
The two recalls
Horrible loud rattle on the passenger side, got worse at high speeds. They took apart my passenger door & thought they fixed it. Nope. Ended up my bumper was loose.
Tire warning lights consistently came on at temps under 40 degrees. It took me 3 or 4 visits for them to finally figure out the tires needed more air to not trip the sensors.
Drivers seat moved around alot when I braked or turned corners & made a clicking noise while it did it. They said all dodges did this. Eventually they replaced the seat tracking. It doesn't do it as bad, but it still happens.
The driver's side window made a grinding noise when it was rolled down, I can't remember if they ordered a new motor or something else.
Rear window rolled down very slow, I can't remember how they fixed that.
Weather strip on passenger door wouldn't stay on, they replaced.
Cruise control worked for a while then quit. Took it in & they said you have to push harder. So I push really hard & it worked for a week or so, then quit. They replaced the cruise control.

Things I still need fixed:
I have the rattle in the back that I need to see if it's the spare moving around. Read that tip on here.
Also it has been really cold here the last few months & I've noticed cold air is coming from under the steering wheel area. No matter how high the heater is blaring, it is still cold under the dash.
The air bag thing.

At this point I would just like to get ahead. Everytime a problem gets fixed two more issues come up. I am absolutely fed up with this car. I just want these issues to be fixed so I can sell the thing. This is my second new Chrysler vehicle. The other one had serious issues too.
Ok, done venting.

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Sorry you're one of the very few that has had so many issues. Some of the issues you describe sound like they could be covered by TSBs. I suggest you checkout our "TSB and Recall" forum. Regarding the tire pressure monitor issue; wouldn't it have made sense to check the air pressure in the tires when it happened since air pressure drops as the temperature drops? The manual even states this. I guess what I'm trying to say is issues can be caused by the car, an un-informed owner, and a poor dealer. So my suggestion is to become informed (reading the manual and this forum will help), and if possible try another dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem.Something called the clock spring had to be replaced.It solved the problem.Now if I could only get over 18 miles to the gallon!

·
Administrator
10,854 Posts
This may sound dumb, but which air bag light is going on?.....I know that if you place anything on the passenger seat (under 80lbs) the air bag light on the console turns on, because it disables it to protect children from air bag injury. Just a thought......yours may be a different issue.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I had the same problem.Something called the clock spring had to be replaced.It solved the problem.Now if I could only get over 18 miles to the gallon!
The clock spring is a misnomer actually it refers to the wiring harness in the
steering wheel assy that carries all electrical/data into the column and
allows you to turn the wheel from lock to lock.

Reactions: Prop1

·
Registered
11 Posts
I Had The Same Problem With The Airbag Light Going On In The Dashboard, It Was The Fuse That Was Not Pushed In All The Way.hopefully You Had It Fixed Before You Got This Message.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lildorkfish, I just started having that problem, it started this weekend and when i drive my car the airbag light on the dashboard comes on and beeps and then comes off but mine seems worst, it comes on every 20 seconds, I don't know what the heck is going on and it sucks that just 2 weeks ago my warranty was over so i'll probably just disconnect the damn sound, im not paying over a hundred dollars to go get it checked.

·
Dodge Caliber Forums
1,295 Posts
Clock springs... the scourge of the infamous Check Air Bag light... Fords we owned did it, Honda did it, Toyota did it....... and all it amounts to is a few brushes rubbing against a copper ring so as to make contact with the rest of the car...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah mine had the same problem, when it was under warranty though. Easy fix.
I Had The Same Problem With The Airbag Light Going On In The Dashboard, It Was The Fuse That Was Not Pushed In All The Way.hopefully You Had It Fixed Before You Got This Message.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I've noticed when i have a passenger, the passenger air bag light stays on alittle longer then it goes out. I believe the sensors in the seat are weighing the passenger so the air bag will know what speed setting will be needed when deployed. I may be wrong LOL!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem when I bought my caliver in 2007. It's a part behind the drivers airbag. They replace it under warranty. Problem solve...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here, about two weeks after warranty expires, airbag light comes on, and then a week later engine starts making noise. Almost seems the cars are "engineered" a little too well...

lildorkfish, I just started having that problem, it started this weekend and when i drive my car the airbag light on the dashboard comes on and beeps and then comes off but mine seems worst, it comes on every 20 seconds, I don't know what the heck is going on and it sucks that just 2 weeks ago my warranty was over so i'll probably just disconnect the damn sound, im not paying over a hundred dollars to go get it checked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you know i side with brad that alot of the problems that your having with the car are just a misinformed owner and a crappy dealer. but then on the other had sometimes a bad car does come off the lot. that doesnt mean all of them are going to be bad though.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
This can happen with anything. One of my friends bought his wife a Rolex watch that cost over $17,000.00. It died in 3 months LOL!!! They replaced it, free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
airbag light comes on sometimes

my airbag light comes on sometimes in dash panel for a few seconds and off again particularly where the brakes and I do not know why

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
my airbag light comes on sometimes in dash panel for a few seconds and off again particularly where the brakes and I do not know why
Anything in the passenger seat?

·
Registered
1 Posts
K i am having this issue. Intermittent comes on dings. And off. With or with out someone in the seat. I have checked every fuse and relay in the car. ( yes even the hidden relays in the front fender) was there a recall on this ? And how is it disabled if not? Did anyone get an answer or fix ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts