Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum so a big hello to everyone.

I am looking at buying a dodge caliber 1.8 and I could do with some advice on the following points as some internet reading has stopped me from buying the car. Thank you to everyone who feels they can help.
1- TIPM, I have read that these fail on a regular basis and that they are expensive to repair. Do they really fail on every car at some point? Can you get refurbished/exchange units in GB?
2- Front and rear subframes rusting through. No mention of this on the cars last mot, did it affect all calibers produced? Is subframe replacement a difficult job to do?
3- I have read that there has been quite a high incidence of early clutch failure from 30000 miles on. Is that generally true and was that across all cars (petrol and diesel)?
Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, these cars are now old, so like all older cars problems come up, I have myself less than 6 months ago bought a 07 model Calibre SXT Sport but in the 2.0 CRD variant (has the VW engine). My car has 90k on it and so far no TIPM or subframe rust issues. You can buy a fully refurbished TIPM on eBay and I'm sure there must be a UK company that does sell or repair car electronics, just have to search around. When buying any older car have it checked over by a trusted mechanic or a professional company for a couple of hundred £, its peace of mind before you spend your hard earned cash. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that you'll never have issues with the car, some common issues that I have had, are condensation inside the rear light housing, usually driver side rear (I had this) rather than buy another second hand part that may have the same issue, I found my local Jeep/Chrysler dealer could still get me one new for not much more than eBay. On eBay they sell used UK and NEW after market North American ones but be aware the North American light housings DO NOT have the fog light bulb opening. After having the car a few months my engine light came on, I own a OBD 2 code reader and after checking the codes, it was my EGR valve that needed cleaned or replaced, again got one at a UK parts store online for around £40 with next day delivery, so just replaced it. Same with a subframe, mines is fine and should be for hopefully a while yet, as I had the car checked/cleaned and undersealed when I bought it. Believe it of not even Amazon UK can get you one, the rub comes if your not mechanical minded and know no one who is able to help or do it for you at a reasonable labour rate but that's the same with all big mechanical issues. The TPM sensors in the tyres are still available if you need them in the UK. Some other things that are common issues are the back lighting of the instrument cluster and the light up cupholders not working. The cupholders are easy fix, see YouTube lol but the instrument cluster has to be removed and sent away for repair, unless your a wiz with electronics and their repair, actually taking out the cluster is not hard but it is a process, again advice on the forum or there is a great video walk through on YouTube which I found much easier. When I was researching about the car I bought, I didn't find much about the clutch failure, saw a some posts about clutch failure on petrol models dated in the early years of the car going on sale but nothing that I would say was a high incidence since, but I could be wrong, again my advice is get it checked before buying, try and find out through the seller if the clutch has ever been replaced and when? or look through the service history, if it has one. I love my Dodge and am very happy with it but if in any doubt, be safe, get it checked out first.

(links for parts availability)

hope this helps..

·
Registered
18 Posts
No problem, just remember not every car will have these fault, from what I've seen on the forum and in owner self posted car reviews, there are a lot of good condition looked after cars out there, as well as badly looked after cars that will cost you an arm and a leg to fix. So take your time and look around, use the forum to identify common issues and checks for the engine of your choice. Don't be afraid to ask the awkward questions to the seller about the car, cash is king as they say and there are lots for sale, so walk away if answers don't measure up. Buy the best you can afford, make sure you get it checked over first and check all the old MOT's as well as current one along with service history. One final problem that I forgot to mention in my earlier reply was that some cars can get a wet carpet, I haven't had that but I applied the fix anyway to future proof as it took 5 mins and cost £1. If I did find a car with that problem I'd use it to drive the price really down. Added the link below..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum so a big hello to everyone.

I am looking at buying a dodge caliber 1.8 and I could do with some advice on the following points as some internet reading has stopped me from buying the car. Thank you to everyone who feels they can help.
1- TIPM, I have read that these fail on a regular basis and that they are expensive to repair. Do they really fail on every car at some point? Can you get refurbished/exchange units in GB?
2- Front and rear subframes rusting through. No mention of this on the cars last mot, did it affect all calibers produced? Is subframe replacement a difficult job to do?
3- I have read that there has been quite a high incidence of early clutch failure from 30000 miles on. Is that generally true and was that across all cars (petrol and diesel)?
Thanks
Hi Fastjet, welcome to the forum.

Just be sure to get the manual transmission, the CVT / automatic transmissions in these cars are unreliable crap.

I've had no issues with the clutch on my 2.4 caliber. I'm sure it will go out at some point, and I'll replace the clutch if it does.

·
Super Moderator
12,142 Posts
ccg2301- lots of help there - same brake pads for me. I also had the EGR code and replacing it did nothing, engine light and code still there, anything more I can do ?

fastjet- Caliber is not a good buy in many ways. You have to really want a Dodge. Similar Qashqai launched a year later and killed it's sales, plus everything launched since looks similar.
If you get a really cheap one you also need to be sure about the mechanicals.
Check DVLA for numbers but 1.8s were a small proportion of total sales for used parts.
The clutch slave cylinder goes first and that is inside the housing in mine (CRD 6Sp).
US after-market rear lights can be adapted and are better. I have smoked LED and use the o/s reverse light for the fog.
As you are researching before buying are you confident of doing a lot of work yourself? No longer a straightforward matter - these cars are CANBUS with Daimler electrics. A 1.8 world engine could be serviced by a Hyundai mechanic.

We do not have the salt levels of North North-American roads but tin worm will be present on 14 year old vehicles.
Suspension linkages are likely to be your first job followed by dodgy wiring insulation.

Reactions: ccg2301

·
Registered
18 Posts
ccg2301- lots of help there - same brake pads for me. I also had the EGR code and replacing it did nothing, engine light and code still there, anything more I can do ?

fastjet- Caliber is not a good buy in many ways. You have to really want a Dodge. Similar Qashqai launched a year later and killed it's sales, plus everything launched since looks similar.
If you get a really cheap one you also need to be sure about the mechanicals.
Check DVLA for numbers but 1.8s were a small proportion of total sales for used parts.
The clutch slave cylinder goes first and that is inside the housing in mine (CRD 6Sp).
US after-market rear lights can be adapted and are better. I have smoked LED and use the o/s reverse light for the fog.
As you are researching before buying are you confident of doing a lot of work yourself? No longer a straightforward matter - these cars are CANBUS with Daimler electrics. A 1.8 world engine could be serviced by a Hyundai mechanic.

We do not have the salt levels of North North-American roads but tin worm will be present on 14 year old vehicles.
Suspension linkages are likely to be your first job followed by dodgy wiring insulation.
Hi Aleks, do you know the Code that's been thrown out with the engine light being on? While you replaced the EGR valve did you also check for
  • Clogged EGR passages
  • Bad EGR sensor or sensor hoses
  • Open or shorted EGR or TPS circuits or connectors
  • Defective or misadjusted TPS
I was quite lucky, it was just my EGR valve thank god ..

·
Super Moderator
12,142 Posts
PO401
EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

So thought it could just be cleaned but with taking it off just as easy to fit a new one. No change.
Next job was the intercooler hose. Bought a new one, but on taking the old one off it was like new, totally clean with no cracks.Took the new hose back as it was more than the valve.
I've been running cleaners through the system with no effect.
Car runs fine, regular mpg. Just the check light - I can reset the code for the MoT advisory.

·
Super Moderator
12,142 Posts
FastJet - Caliber is heavy.
Dodge Caliber 1.8 Fuel Consumption (Economy), Emissions and Range
Fuel Consumption - Economy - Combined:7.3 L/100km 39 mpg UK / 32 mpg US
Fuel Consumption - Economy - Open road:6.0 L/100km 47 mpg UK / 39 mpg US
Fuel Consumption - Economy - City:9.6 L/100km 29 mpg UK / 25 mpg US

Have you decided why you want one?
Money no object, not best value or quality. Then go for it, last chance to drive something somewhat different.
Current yanks in RHD are Mustang, Corvette, Camaro. Otherwise it's the Ford eco models and Korean Chevies.
Used Holdens and Opel Buicks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Aleks.
There is one advertised near me which looks quite nice and a they look a bit different from the run of the mill.
It's an 06 se 1.8 with 48k on the clock with full service history for 2k. It's hard to put a true value on it though as you either like it or don't. The reliability of the electrics control unit (tipm) is definitely a concern as is rusting sub frames. The trouble is you have know way of knowing what percentage of calibers had those items failing. Is the 1.8 engine a vvt and does it put out 150 bhp?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FastJet - Caliber is heavy.
Dodge Caliber 1.8 Fuel Consumption (Economy), Emissions and Range
Fuel Consumption - Economy - Combined:7.3 L/100km 39 mpg UK / 32 mpg US
Fuel Consumption - Economy - Open road:6.0 L/100km 47 mpg UK / 39 mpg US
Fuel Consumption - Economy - City:9.6 L/100km 29 mpg UK / 25 mpg US

Have you decided why you want one?
Money no object, not best value or quality. Then go for it, last chance to drive something somewhat different.
Current yanks in RHD are Mustang, Corvette, Camaro. Otherwise it's the Ford eco models and Korean Chevies.
Used Holdens and Opel Buicks.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PO401
EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

So thought it could just be cleaned but with taking it off just as easy to fit a new one. No change.
Next job was the intercooler hose. Bought a new one, but on taking the old one off it was like new, totally clean with no cracks.Took the new hose back as it was more than the valve.
I've been running cleaners through the system with no effect.
Car runs fine, regular mpg. Just the check light - I can reset the code for the MoT advisory.

If the car is running fine with regular MPG after the EGR and hose replaced and checked, sounds more like a sensor issue. Have you checked the Differential Pressure Feedback Exhaust Sensor (DPFE sensor). Just a thought? Obviously you need to check your part number for the correct match.

·
Super Moderator
12,142 Posts
I have not checked because "If a vehicle's running poorly or having poor gas mileage, the DPFE sensor may be to blame. "..

However thanks for the instructions, I have a Multimeter so will give that a go next service. Sensor swap is not too bad anyway,

1.8 L World I4148 bhp (110 kW)
"The Caliber is built on the platform shared with Jeep Compass and Patriot as well as the next generation Mitsubishi Lancer. (It was jointly developed by Daimler-Chrysler and Mitsubishi before their relationship ended in 2005) Unsurprisingly, they share the same “World Engines”, a joint venture between them and Hyundai. There are three petrol four-cylinder engines, all employ aluminium block, DOHC 16V, dual VVT and variable intake manifolds. They differ in capacity - 1.8 litres, 2.0 litres and 2.4 litres, producing 148hp, 158hp and 172hp respectively, which is undoubtedly remarkable. For comparison, Honda's proud new 1.8 i-VTEC engine develops 140hp only. The 2.0 and 2.4 units get twin-balancer shafts to cancel the second order vibration that normally appears on inline-four engines. The 1.8 engine, thanks to its shorter stroke, does not need twin-balancer shafts."

There is one near me is one of the worst reasons to consider a car. If you were selling it you'd get less than £500.

A buy like that would give you some parts money. Where would you get servicing?

Reactions: ccg2301
1 - 14 of 14 Posts