Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sup.

I just tinted my Tail lights (finally). I reverse-masked off the red 'surround' and blacked the tacky red completely, then put one coat of tint (vht ns) on my tails, then 6 clear coats.

They turned out great, but after looking at them for a few days, I've decided I want them another shade darker. Instead of having to use lacquer thinner to strip them down again (nerfing the blacked out 'surround') I was thinking of just sanding them down real good w/2000grit then adding another coat of VHT, then clear coating again.

Anyone had any experience with this that could shed some insight?

Cheers!!
IMG_20140705_164418.jpg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. One coat. Make sure your spray is even and not too far from the tail light or else it'll look patchy

Reactions: LYC79

·
The Italian Admin
11,875 Posts
Looks good to me too :smileup:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good to me too :smileup:

Thanks LYC79. They look OK. They are a little uneven after closer inspection, and Im a perfectionist so I think I am going to wipe them down next weekend and start over from scratch.
I tinted a friends tails today, and used 2 coats of VHT and 7 clear coats. They turned out spectacular. Now that I've got a little more practice with the product, its time to make mine spectacular too. :)
I may be able to mask off the surround that I blacked out completely and just wipe off the light section, but I think it will create a nasty ridge on recoat, so I'll have to wipe the entire lense.

·
Super Moderator
12,110 Posts
I would wipe them then mask off the lens from the surround. Tint the surround with a few coats then remove tape, smooth the edge and tint whole thing a couple of coats befoe clearcoating.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would wipe them then mask off the lens from the surround. Tint the surround with a few coats then remove tape, smooth the edge and tint whole thing a couple of coats befoe clearcoating.
Yes, this is what I did intially.
Just picked up some carb cleaner and will clean em off and start the process again. I'll post back the results.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I wiped them down with carb cleaner and re-did them. Took some elbow grease, but I needed the workout. :p

IMG_20140711_113141.jpg IMG_20140711_131042.jpg

It looks like they are too dark in the pictures. It was sunny and my phones camera sux. They are not as dark as they look. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts