Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i was laying under my new R/T just seeing where everything was and how they changed things from the neon platform.
After seeing all the pictures of the intake setups for the Caliber, which all put the filter in the stock location allowing it to absorb engine bay heat.

I was thinking.. theres a bunch of room behind the bumper directly to the side of the throttle body and infront of the transmission (atleast on my FWD 5spd R/T), im sure with some fancy bends and a bracket, that a actual cold air intake could be made to sit down in front of the transmission allowing it to inhale outside/cooler air as most proper cold air intake setups do. the only issue is the coolant hose to the radiator is kinda in the way to make one that runs completely out of sight under the stock intake setup location.

I've only had my Caliber for a few days so I'm not in the mood to start taking things off the car just yet, but i also dont want to spend money on a warm air intake =p Just seeing if anyone else has had this idea and tried it

--------------------------------------------------------
For those that dont want to read all the pages
--------------------------------------------------------
Its possible :)
Prototype pictures:
http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?p=89240#post89240

·
Registered
908 Posts
So i was laying under my new R/T just seeing where everything was and how they changed things from the neon platform.
After seeing all the pictures of the intake setups for the Caliber, which all put the filter in the stock location allowing it to absorb engine bay heat.

I was thinking.. theres a bunch of room behind the bumper directly to the side of the throttle body and infront of the transmission (atleast on my FWD 5spd R/T), im sure with some fancy bends and a bracket, that a actual cold air intake could be made to sit down in front of the transmission allowing it to inhale outside/cooler air as most proper cold air intake setups do. the only issue is the coolant hose to the radiator is kinda in the way to make one that runs completely out of sight under the stock intake setup location.

I've only had my Caliber for a few days so I'm not in the mood to start taking things off the car just yet, but i also dont want to spend money on a warm air intake =p Just seeing if anyone else has had this idea and tried it
That sounds like a plausible location for one, much simpler than the idea I been bouncing around in my head. Will have to check that out on Pixie with the 2.0/CVT combo.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Now if we could relocate the battery (as seen in the picture above) to where the stock filter box was we could basically use a 45 coupler to a J bend and put a filter directly infront of the trans.

Reactions: JOJOCHINTO

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Well, it's a bit of a snorkel but the Caliber does have a cold air front-mounted intake vent. A larget vent would be appreciated but I wonder if displacing the battery is worth it? Why not dock-in a larger vent?

One member (damn... who was it again?) actually did ju that: a custom, larger intake vent.

Personally, I'd be tempted to get that 3rd party hood that fits the non-SRTs. I just can't decide if I love or hate the car yet!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well, it's a bit of a snorkel but the Caliber does have a cold air front-mounted intake vent. A larget vent would be appreciated but I wonder if displacing the battery is worth it? Why not dock-in a larger vent?

One member (damn... who was it again?) actually did ju that: a custom, larger intake vent.

Personally, I'd be tempted to get that 3rd party hood that fits the non-SRTs. I just can't decide if I love or hate the car yet!
You might be thinking of MykTurk here is a photo from a post he had I really like the looks of this. Would like to know how he made it!

Reactions: mouser

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
You might be thinking of MykTurk here is a photo from a post he had I really like the looks of this. Would like to know how he made it!
That's the one indeed. :rep:

Now, he had mentioned he'd fabricate a few and offer them for sale but that hasn't materialized yet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The front mounted air intake (that covers the battery) catches it's air from where? Looks like it comes from the very small separation between where the front edge of the hood meets the top part of the bumper, that tiny gap. I'm not an engineer or mechanic, but it doesn't look like much of a flow of air there.
I agree that if you swapped the battery and the cold air intake you could hit two birds with one stone... you would be parking the CAI right in front where it would catch more cooler air entering the engine compartment... PLUS it would be further away from the driver seat = less NOISE! I thought of trying to make that work while I was installing my K&N CAI last week. I'd love to figure out how... looks very doable.
If anyone tries this I would love to know how it works out.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Thanks guys. For the record, there are over a dozen of them bopping around out there, all over the world, (plus a few members here do have one also). I never post anything about them because I'm not a supporting vender, just a member, it's a TOS issue I respect completely (Once I have a few other items to offer, that may change, but for now, I can't justify the cost...).

But, I Haven't made any intakes in a while ether, guess it's time to get the plastic and jigs back out, huh?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The front mounted air intake (that covers the battery) catches it's air from where? Looks like it comes from the very small separation between where the front edge of the hood meets the top part of the bumper, that tiny gap. I'm not an engineer or mechanic, but it doesn't look like much of a flow of air there.
I agree that if you swapped the battery and the cold air intake you could hit two birds with one stone... you would be parking the CAI right in front where it would catch more cooler air entering the engine compartment... PLUS it would be further away from the driver seat = less NOISE!
First up, yes, it's drawing it's air from, the gap of the hood and and opening around the hood latch, there are also two rubber seals that help direct cooler outside air towards the intake opening. My design takes as much advantage of that as possible. One could cut another opening in the radiator support cover right in front of the intake, maybe even add a small scoop behind the grill (current project in design stage) and get more air still.

Moving the battery is a regular topic pretty much whenever CAI's for the Caliber are discused and it is generally regaurded as a great idea, but no one has done it yet. If anyone wants to offer their Caliber as a ginny-pig for one of these conversions, I'm game to build it.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
The front mounted air intake (that covers the battery) catches it's air from where? Looks like it comes from the very small separation between where the front edge of the hood meets the top part of the bumper, that tiny gap.
Yes, that's where it gets it's air in.

The point is, it's not a RAM Air but a cold air. The difference is that it sucks in cold air from the front of the vehicle, way ahead of any heat source. But it's no forced funnel.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Moving the battery is a regular topic pretty much whenever CAI's for the Caliber are discused and it is generally regaurded as a great idea, but no one has done it yet. If anyone wants to offer their Caliber as a ginny-pig for one of these conversions, I'm game to build it.
I'll gladly be the guinea pig for that idea MykTurk. Seriously. I want the CAI up towards the front of the car for two reasons... cooler air and sound dampening.
Are you talking about a CAI (mine is K&N) or the stock air box?
Let me know your ideas.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Well, for starters, are you willing to drive up to the greater St. Louis area for a day or two?...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All that really needs to be done to relocate the battery is, slightly longer cables, and a battery tray that mounts where the PCM and Air box was, not sure how strong that support piece is that holds it, but its 2 bolts.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an idea of how to get the intake to sit completely below the car, next time i go over to my garage I'm gonna play with some couplers and my spare intercooler piping and see if my idea is feasible.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wouldn't there be a chance water would hit it if it was under the car?
Most CAI setups have the filter as close to the ground as possible for a more dense air charge, cooler air is always nearest the ground.

But yes if you drove thru a major puddle or small pond theres a risk of inhaling water, but thats also only if the entire filter was submerged forcing the engine to suck the water in.

I never had a problem with having the filter that low on my previous car(s), which sat MUCH lower to the ground than the caliber but i also always avoided driving during flood conditions. Making a splash shield would also help with that situation. And people without the factory foglights could tuck it back behind the fog hole.

Also theres a ton of room directly below the battery tray, so if theres room and the bends arent extreme its possible to just put the filter there, if you had water high enough to reach the bottom of the battery tray, your already looking for trouble since thats probably at about the bottom edge of the door if not higher.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanks guys. For the record, there are over a dozen of them bopping around out there, all over the world, (plus a few members here do have one also). I never post anything about them because I'm not a supporting vender, just a member, it's a TOS issue I respect completely (Once I have a few other items to offer, that may change, but for now, I can't justify the cost...).

But, I Haven't made any intakes in a while ether, guess it's time to get the plastic and jigs back out, huh?
Myk if you just happen to consider playing with those jigs again and to avoid a TOS problem I would be willing to "donate" a reasonable reimbursement for your time. Um so PM me?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Most CAI setups have the filter as close to the ground as possible for a more dense air charge, cooler air is always nearest the ground.

But yes if you drove thru a major puddle or small pond theres a risk of inhaling water, but thats also only if the entire filter was submerged forcing the engine to suck the water in.

I never had a problem with having the filter that low on my previous car(s), which sat MUCH lower to the ground than the caliber but i also always avoided driving during flood conditions. Making a splash shield would also help with that situation. And people without the factory foglights could tuck it back behind the fog hole.

Also theres a ton of room directly below the battery tray, so if theres room and the bends arent extreme its possible to just put the filter there, if you had water high enough to reach the bottom of the battery tray, your already looking for trouble since thats probably at about the bottom edge of the door if not higher.
Well if you go that route I'd love to know how you do it... what parts you used, where to get'em, etc. I'm very eager to get my K&N CAI as far away from the firewall as possible... too much noise for the wife. Plus I believe it would work a heck of a lot better with a steady flow of cooler air. If you have suggestions for what parts to get and where to get them I'll be the guinea pig and do it myself... just let me know how. In the meantime I'll take a look myself this weekend and see if I can figure it out on my own.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.