Dodge Caliber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new to the site and am glad to have found a site specifically directed for my make and model.
I have a 2007
Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 Automatic that i bought a little over a year ago. Being the mechanically inclined person that I am, I am very good at keeping up with maintenance and care of my vehicle but lately it has been acting strange and I can't quite put my finger on the cause of the issue.
It all started a few months ago when i noticed that if i sit at idle while car is in drive (i.e. sitting at a stop light) and remove my foot from the brake to move it to the gas, my RPM will drop like it is about to stall out. It never actually stalls out but it feels like it wants to for a brief second then fixes itself. Then a few weeks after that started, I noticed that when driving, sometimes my car will hesitate, I will be driving a long at roughly 30mph or so, then it almost feels as if I have taken my foot off the gas for a few seconds then placed it back on the gas again. I had chalked up this incidents to possibly the throttle body needing to be cleaned as my car has just over 100k miles on it. I was about to take some time to clean it when my third seperate incident happened to make me think the problem could be bigger than a dirty Throttle Body.
I was at lunch and sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake when all of a sudden my car started lurching forward a few times, just enough to almost get me hit by onciming traffic. (it lurched in a way as if i were driving a manual and i would have dropped the clutch, thats how it felt, with the idle going up, down, up down) needless to say it scared the daylights out of me. I went to the dealer to see if my particular vehicle had an recalls, and they told me no. I have no check engine light on and really have no idea what my plan of action for fixing it could be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just a little piece of info my car is an automatic. I have never had an issue like this before

·
The Organizer
15,004 Posts
Hello all,
I am new to the site and am glad to have found a site specifically directed for my make and model.
I have a 2007
Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0 Automatic that i bought a little over a year ago. Being the mechanically inclined person that I am, I am very good at keeping up with maintenance and care of my vehicle but lately it has been acting strange and I can't quite put my finger on the cause of the issue.
It all started a few months ago when i noticed that if i sit at idle while car is in drive (i.e. sitting at a stop light) and remove my foot from the brake to move it to the gas, my RPM will drop like it is about to stall out. It never actually stalls out but it feels like it wants to for a brief second then fixes itself. Then a few weeks after that started, I noticed that when driving, sometimes my car will hesitate, I will be driving a long at roughly 30mph or so, then it almost feels as if I have taken my foot off the gas for a few seconds then placed it back on the gas again. I had chalked up this incidents to possibly the throttle body needing to be cleaned as my car has just over 100k miles on it. I was about to take some time to clean it when my third seperate incident happened to make me think the problem could be bigger than a dirty Throttle Body.
I was at lunch and sitting at a stop light with my foot on the brake when all of a sudden my car started lurching forward a few times, just enough to almost get me hit by onciming traffic. (it lurched in a way as if i were driving a manual and i would have dropped the clutch, thats how it felt, with the idle going up, down, up down) needless to say it scared the daylights out of me. I went to the dealer to see if my particular vehicle had an recalls, and they told me no. I have no check engine light on and really have no idea what my plan of action for fixing it could be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just a little piece of info my car is an automatic. I have never had an issue like this before
Throttle Body. There are a rash of them going bad. Just look thru all the threads on it here.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Based on your description, a far-fetched response.
Power brake booster. This is a manifold vacuum operated device.
Mess with the manifold vacuum, you mess up engine performance.
Two of the situations you describe seem to involve the brakes.
Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I wouldn't go to the expense of replacing the throttle body unless I cleaned it first and added some Techron fuel injector cleaner to the next tank of gas. But, I'm a cheap bastard and don't like to throw money away. When's the last time you did a tune up on it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Clean the TB, use TB cleaner not carb cleaner also clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner, do not touch the MAF sensor itself as this will kill the MAF. check for vacuum leaks at the hose to the brake booster if needed replace it. Let us know what fixes the issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts