Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find out if my ac is broken when i start my car it takes a minute for the ac to start blowing in az that is horrible the dealer cant seem to answer my question ty

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Is the air moving and it's not cold? Having been in Phoenix several times during the summer; I don't know of many 4 cylinder cars that can instantly cool down the heat exchanger and the ducts so cold that cold air comes out instantly. None of the 3 vehicles that I've driven there blew cold instantly and I'd say it was around a minutes before it was cold. It only was instantly after a short fuel stop.

What previous car are you comparing it to?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Realistically, here in Pennsylvania, on a hot summer day, the AC can take 15 or more minutes before the car starts to cool. The air coming out of the vents can take up to 5 minutes before it starts feeling cold - for the first minute or so, the air is blazing hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not talking about it blowing cold, im talking about it just plain blowing out of the vents period! You turn the car on, turn the ac on and nothing happens for 20-30 seconds or so. In the weather here that is way to long. All i want is circlating air. It doesnt matter if it is on max or not.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Im not talking about it blowing cold, im talking about it just plain blowing out of the vents period! You turn the car on, turn the ac on and nothing happens for 20-30 seconds or so. In the weather here that is way to long. All i want is circlating air. It doesnt matter if it is on max or not.
Sounds like the cabin air filter is so old it's clogged. It probably takes that long for the filter to deform and allow air to sneak by the filter. You can read the DIY for changing it here: http://www.caliberforumz.com/showthread.php?t=25069

You can buy a new one at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
314 Posts
my 2012 ram truck will only blow air out the foot wells for the first 30 seconds or so. I think it's a great idea. If I left the heater on full blast from being cold, and it's warm now, it gives me a little time before I get blasted with uncomfortable air.
Not sure if this is the same or similar to what it happening to you.

As computer people say, it's not a bug, it's a feature.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Im trying to find out if my ac is broken when i start my car it takes a minute for the ac to start blowing in az that is horrible the dealer cant seem to answer my question ty
my 2012 ram truck will only blow air out the foot wells for the first 30 seconds or so. I think it's a great idea. If I left the heater on full blast from being cold, and it's warm now, it gives me a little time before I get blasted with uncomfortable air.

Yes - good point, especially if your vehicle is equipped with automatic climate control. I believe all Calibers got this feature starting in 2010.
The electronic systems can do all sorts of things that seem strange to the user, yet make perfect sense to the system.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts

Yes - good point, especially if your vehicle is equipped with automatic climate control. I believe all Calibers got this feature starting in 2010.
The electronic systems can do all sorts of things that seem strange to the user, yet make perfect sense to the system.
I checked the 2012 manual and nothing is mentioned like that.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is not in the manual eithder and it has done it sin e it was new so i doubt it is the filter the car had less then 10 milrs on it when we got it. I appologize for the typing my phne drives me bonkers. Anyway, i just got so fed uo with it and it eas time to turn it back on again and decided to look for an answer. Thank you for your replies. I think it is a feature of the car like the clutch for people that dont know how to drive. If u cant drive one starting up on a hill dont buy oa stick shift ur gonna cause an accident.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Question - does it do the same delayed fan start if you use vent (no A/C) mode?
The answer to this question could solve your mystery.

My home A/C system has a delayed fan start feature programmed into it. The compressor starts and runs to cool the evaporator, then about 30 sec. later the fan starts. Lennox says this is to start blowing cool air immediately, rather than waiting for the air to cool while air is blowing through the evap. It also gives the refrigeration system a head start, to supposedly save energy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts