Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2011 Dodge caliber uptown 2.4 engine for some reason whenever I'm at a red light or in slow traffic my AC settling heats up stops cooling I've added freon had the AC hose change and alternator is good not sure what the problem is. I have noticed that the two fans up front stop spinning sometimes but fuse to seem to be good help please

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have noticed that the two fans up front stop spinning sometimes but fuse to seem to be good help please
There are several things that could be causing your problem. Are you seeing the coolant temp getting abnormally high when you've driven for a while and are idling in traffic?

It's normal for the fans to turn themselves on and off while the engine is running...but only if the A/C is turned off. If the A/C is on and you're seeing the fans shut off, then that's not right and you need to figure out what's up. Checking the fuse is not enough. There are relays in a small relay box between the front driver's side headlight and the front driver's side tire (you need to remove the tire and wheel well liner to access it). Corrosion in that relay box is a common problem.

Your A/C compressor could also be failing...it can compress enough refrigerant when the engine is running at higher RPMs to keep the air cool but at lower RPMs it can't keep up. I'm not sure how one can diagnose that themselves though.

It could also be that your condensor is the culprit...check to make sure it's not plugged up with debris.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello good
I totally agree with the previous comment.
The first thing I would do is remove the driver side wheel, remove the dust cover and clean the chip and the fan relay pins with a contact cleaner, preferably dielectric.
If we only have a contact cleaner residue 0, once clean of oxidation. Apply a bit of loosening agent on top to prevent oxidation and sulphation.
And test that everything works.
Depending on the engine, it has some more relays, but well, almost identical.

Rectangle Parallel Font Circle Electric blue

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts