Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to add blinkie flashies to the headlights and brake lights, would I need diodes to prevent voltage from going back into the computer?

Or is there something already built in to prevent back voltage (like from relays)?

The secondary power to the halogen (incandescent) headlights would be regulated 12-volts max, PWM variable at 15kHz.

LED brake lights (with the 15-watt resistors) would be on/off only at 12-volts regulated, if they can't be Pulse Width Modulated.

· Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
You do keep having ideas.. Since the blinkie is in the headlight what's the plan, to have that sides headlight dim with the blinks?

Rears have amber blinkers? If I wanted to change that I'd use a red LED. Otherwise change the tail light unit.

To power the brake bulb from the blinker circuit should be possible as the 'return' is the ground chassis. The computer only monitors the power circuit when activated for a working bulb.

Reactions: 672aq

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
For the [halogen] headlights, I've a few ideas;

1) each headlight would turn off when that side's turn signal is on. I see a few new vehicles with this - personally I think it's silly looking - maybe there's a real benefit.

2) I have emergency strobes on the front (the LED off-road lights have a white/amber strobe setting built in) that I'll be replacing with 6"KC Daylighters. I still need the attention-getting effects, so am thinking of slow wig-wags for the headlights; L-side on for one second, then R-side on for one second...

3) in the movie Akira, electric cars would dim the headlights when making a complete stop at a traffic light (I'm guessing to save battery power, or to not blind people across the intersection). I thought that effect was cool (probably illegal), but want to design something similar. When at a complete stop, via PWM, lights would slowly dim to 25%. Let off the brake and step on the gas, and the lights would quickly go back to 75-90%, with high beams at 100%. Might sound silly, but I have no life, lol.

Rear brakes [are red LED (from AutoZone)]:

1) I'd like to implement a custom turn signal flasher:

16 different flash settings

Seems cool. The only real issue is legality - you can use these as long as one side of the flash is instant. Fancy on, with instant off. Or instant on, with fancy (fading, moving, twinkling) off.

2) for the third brake light, I'd like to install a module that blinks the light off for half a second after the light is on for 7-10 seconds:

(video here)

Something for these knuckleheads that can't see me stopped at a traffic light (a LOT of rear-end collision here).

So, that's my undermedicated goal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts