Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home today and used my turn signal to make a left. At that moment I heard a ding, then a few seconds later my turn signal flasher on the dash starts flashing very quickly.

When I get home, I notice my driver's side rear tail light isn't working. No turn signal light or brake light. Is this simply a bulb out or more? Thank you for any insight.

Sil

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Might be just a bulb. the TIPM may have tripped that paticular circuit for some reason. If you ant to wait to try a new bubl, undo your battery cables and tape them together for 15 minutes or so. This re-sets the TIPM (the module wich controls most of the Calibers electronics and lighting).

If that doesn't work, then try swapping the bulb, and repeating TIPM reset the process. Or just replace the bulb and reset the TIPM.

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
You no doubt popped the dual filament bulb and shorted the turn signal circuit to the tail light circuit. That would have caused the TIPM to go into action and cut all power to that side. Replace the bulb and follow the instructions by James to reset the TIPM.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I turn the headlights on, the top bulbs on both rear tails light up.

When doing it this way, no turn signal or brake light on drivers as well.

Sil

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
Anytime, hope that gets it fixed.

And a quick question for Brad since he chimed in. The TIPM kills power to the bulb even if say just the brake light filament poped, leaving you without a rear turn signal correct?
I'm not sure of the 2010 configuration, but I'm assuming there is only one bulb for turn, stop, and tail. Filament 1= turn, filament 2= tail, and filament 1+2= stop. Short the filaments together and out goes the power.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
2009 - here's how mine is:

Filament 1 = 7 watts = tail
Filament 2 = 23 watts = stop and turn (turn flashes it whether brakes are applied or not)

If the turn does not flash, the brake light on that side wont work either.

That's how mine was after the ding and fast flash - put in new bulb in auto zone parking lot - all was well again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to again thank everyone for their help! :smileup:

Looking in the owners manual it says the bulb part number for "Rear Turn/Tail/Stop" is 3157 for 2010.

Just want to make sure because, I was looking on Sylvania replacement guide site and they have different part numbers.

Sil

·
The Organizer
15,005 Posts
I want to again thank everyone for their help! :smileup:

Looking in the owners manual it says the bulb part number for "Rear Turn/Tail/Stop" is 3157 for 2010.

Just want to make sure because, I was looking on Sylvania replacement guide site and they have different part numbers.

Sil
Always go by the manual.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update. This has been resolved.

I started the Caliber this morning and the tire pressure light was dinging. Driver's front side tire was at 20 psi or so. I took it in to my local dealer and there was a nail in the tire. I must have picked it up yesterday. For a grand total of $11.72, the dealer patched the tire and replaced the bulb.

All is good now. Thanks again folks for all the great advice. :smileup:

Sil

·
Super Moderator
12,405 Posts
After the MY07 the NA models used the same filament for brake and turn.
It could be possible for there to be a flasher fault that prevented an intermittent signal but the brakes continued to operate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many thanks to all contributors. I also had rapid flash of rear right turn light. I replaced bulb, problem did not go away. I did the reset of the TPIM and presto, problem solved. Right turn light working once again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello
I was just reading the above comments and just encountered the same problem. I heard a ding, no back light/blinker (Pass. side), but mine will not allow any windows to work either..Up or down on all 4 doors! Is this all connected in some way? Help please! :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts