Dodge Caliber Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back and I want to let you know that I appreciate everybody that replied to my caliber posts. Since, I have been back on the road from a little help from a friend that is a mechanic. A few nights ago I racked into a pole. My right front end. Urgh.... It's making this scrapping horrible sound from the rim and tire area. The same guy that actually did my alternator pulley replacement is gonna look at my car in a few here. I would like to post a pic. and video off the sound. Cool...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this is a smaller tire that I had to have put on my car because the other one was flat and I had to drive it on a flat tire on my rim to a tire place I have AAA now though so next time I'm stranded or something happens I can have a tow
Also I'm having difficulty uploading a 5 second video now of the sound that my Caliber is making, horrible scraping sound

·
Registered
78 Posts
it is likely that the fender is rubbing against the auxiliary belt. right behind the wheel.
If the blow is very strong you can break the tie rods and the wheel is off center rubbing against the fender.
I don't know if that is the case or not.

Cheers

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's making this scrapping horrible sound from the rim and tire area.
It seems like that this is either something rubbing on the tire assembly, or something rubbing on the engine accessory belt.

Questions

Does it make the sound when the engine is on and the car is not moving?

Or does it only make the sound when the car is moving and the wheels are turning?

Is the sound better or worse when you turn the wheel left or right?

Comments
From the picture, it does not look like you hit the pole hard enough to cause enough damage for something to be rubbing on the engine accessory belt.

I suspect that something is rubbing on the tire or hub...which will hopefully be relatively easy to bend or push out of the way. From the questions I asked above, if you only hear the noise when the car is in motion, then it is almost certainly something with the tire assembly.

Your mechanic friend should be able to quickly determine the source of the noise and what might have to be done to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So this is a smaller tire that I had to have put on my car because the other one was flat and I had to drive it on a flat tire on my rim to a tire place I have AAA now though so next time I'm stranded or something happens I can have a tow
You can try uploading video to YouTube and post the link to here.
Hopefully it won't cost you fortune to repair it.
Right. Im worried about paying for my smog. If it keeps up with the scrapping I might not be able to drive period.. one thing after another keeps going with my Caliber. I don't understand why I have to smog. I owned it for over two years. Thank you

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems like that this is either something rubbing on the tire assembly, or something rubbing on the engine accessory belt.

Questions

Or does it only make the sound when the car is moving and the wheels are turning?

Comments
From the picture, it does not look like you hit the pole hard enough to cause enough damage for something to be rubbing on the engine accessory belt.

I suspect that something is rubbing on the tire or hub...which will hopefully be relatively easy to bend or push out of the way. From the questions I asked above, if you only hear the noise when the car is in motion, then it is almost certainly something with the tire assembly.

Your mechanic friend should be able to quickly determine the source of the noise and what might have to be done to resolve the issue.
Thank you. Okay so when my car is running and not moving it does not make that noise at all. When the car is in motion and the tires are turning it starts to make the sound is scraping and it gets really loud.When I turn left or right and the car is in motion it doesn't really get louder or stop, it's making the scraping noise. My friends looking at it now. Thank you again, Jamie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Questions

Comments

He told me I bet the accessory arm, oh boy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is likely that the fender is rubbing against the auxiliary belt. right behind the wheel.
If the blow is very strong you can break the tie rods and the wheel is off center rubbing against the fender.
I don't know if that is the case or not.

Cheers
[/QUtThe tie rods are fine. Lower control arm is bent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts